Getting UniPCemu up and running

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-03-25, 15:56:
Sounds good :D My "64-bit black screen problem" can be considered solved. I just tried building UniPCemu on a different host and […]
Show full quote

Sounds good 😁
My "64-bit black screen problem" can be considered solved. I just tried building UniPCemu on a different host and it works there just fine.
So I'll have to do some comparison to see what that was about. Could be hw related (Intel vs. AMD etc.), but we'll see.
I'll report back here, if I manage to find out the root cause.

Btw new Tseng card coming up 😁
EXCELGRAPH - ISA Video Display Controller (ET4000/W32i)

Maybe ALEKS has some hints about test software for you?

Hw related depends. When you enable the cpu speed percentage display with the non-working hardware case (setting the setting to 1 and starting the emulator), does the cpu percentage display itself in the top-left corner during the 'black screen'? If so, output is working and the app is malfunctioning at some emulated hardware(CPU, video card etc.).
If the entire app display (save for the title bar and borders) is black, it's indeed either a bug in SDL2 or the app itself. It should always start with displaying some yellow text("Press SELECT to run BIOS SETUP") in the top left corner when it starts. If it doesn't do that, but the normal text at the bottom right displays, it's an emulator startup bug (it's started by the first 10-ish instructions ran on the emulated CPU, using a emulator escape instruction sequence(using some specific port OUT instructions to a specific I/O port)). If that's failing, it will simply run and do nothing(no valid executable code is executing). In that case you'll only see the buttons and keyboard LED display in the bottom right of the window.

If it's actually lighting the floppy LED(A or B), there's probably an emulator hardware(display) or CPU emulation issue at fault.
Pure EGA emulation is still known to be faulty(I don't know yet what's wrong with it atm).
It could also mean a wrong/faulty ROM or missing ROM with the last case (booting but no display).

The very code that displays the yellow text also loads the ROMs after it disappears and resets all emulator components to start using them in a clean system(both CPU and hardware).

Author of the UniPCemu emulator.
UniPCemu Git repository
UniPCemu for Android, Windows, PSP, Vita and Switch on itch.io

Reply 21 of 81, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Interesting! Thx for the explanation. It's some kind of bug *somewhere*, but the hunt is still on...

The CPU speed indicator (and the startup yellow text, and the configuration menus) do all work.
They are visible in the screenshot (in that previous post).

The reason why it seems hw related to me is that the whole UniPCemu directory was simply copied to another host, and it works there.
That includes the UniPCemu binary and all the related files such as configuration and ROMs. So the problem is definitely related to the host setup somehow.
The hosts are both using the same distro with the same kernel/gcc/library versions. There is some difference in packages and other configuration, so it's not a 100% clone.

However, I managed to replicate the problem just now on another host and that leads me to believe that the issue is with the number of threads.
At a glance the only obvious thing in common with these non-working hosts is that they both have large number of threads.
That would also neatly explain the problems with the win64 version.

So to replicate, just try to run it on a host with 8 cores or more. Or maybe it's just the "two threads per core" that triggers it.

EDIT: ...or then again, maybe not. I fooled around with qemu a bit and got somewhat baffling results: If I run UniPCemu in a qemu guest, it works 😁
So even when it doesn't work in the host...just launch it in qemu and there it runs ok (tested with 8 cores and that was ok too).
EDIT2: The problem shows itself in qemu IF it is run on a non-working host and the "-cpu host" parameter is used.

I also tried "taskset -c 0" to see if that helps any (since it's supposed to limit the number of cpu cores used), but it didn't seem to have any effect.
Here's the output of "info threads":

(gdb) info threads
Id Target Id Frame
* 1 Thread 0x7ffff6df77c0 (LWP 88574) "UniPCemu" 0x0000555555566950 in ?? ()
2 Thread 0x7fffe3cdf700 (LWP 88578) "PulseHotplug" 0x00007ffff7c15bf6 in __ppoll (fds=0x5555570d4880, nfds=3, timeout=<optimized out>, sigmask=0x0) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ppoll.c:44
3 Thread 0x7fffe3c3e700 (LWP 88579) "SDLAudioP1" 0x00007ffff7c15bf6 in __ppoll (fds=0x555557183b00, nfds=3, timeout=<optimized out>, sigmask=0x0) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ppoll.c:44
4 Thread 0x7fffe343d700 (LWP 88580) "SDLAudioC2" 0x00007ffff7c15bf6 in __ppoll (fds=0x55555717f230, nfds=3, timeout=<optimized out>, sigmask=0x0) at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/ppoll.c:44
5 Thread 0x7fffe2c3c700 (LWP 88581) "UniPCemu_Timing" 0x00007ffff7be03bf in __GI___clock_nanosleep (clock_id=clock_id@entry=0, flags=flags@entry=0, req=0x7fffe2c3bca0, rem=0x0)
at ../sysdeps/unix/sysv/linux/clock_nanosleep.c:78

The above trace is with the release binary, see the attachment below for a session log with the debug one.
In that one, I ran "info threads" twice. The latter one is taken in a situation where the green A appears. Not that it makes much difference.
I also have a core file, but it's too big for attachment (even compressed).

Attachments

Last edited by mr.cat on 2021-03-27, 12:29. Edited 4 times in total.

Reply 22 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm... UniPCemu just uses multithreading sporadically.

There are essentially only up to 3 threads at a time used (off the top of my head):
- 1 thread for the Settings menu and the startup one(they are the same handler in the same thread, just with different parameters). These are named UniPCemu_BIOSMenu(Normal trigger by user) and UniPCemu_POST(triggered by internal BIOS int19h handler and when starting the emulator).
- 1 thread for the debugger(during breakpoints). It's named UniPCemu_debugger.
- 1 thread for general timing (UniPCemu_Timing). That's for the framerate, PSP keyboard swapping(L trigger PSP input) and MIDI active sense on the emulated MIDI synth.

The first 2 are terminated when not displaying anymore. The debugger one is restarted for every breakpoint triggerred. The timer thread runs when the emulator is running or paused.

SDL_CreateThread is called repeatedly by the thread module if it fails to give a thread, though(and returns NULL).

Edit: During normal runtime on Linux, there's only 5 threads active:
- (dbg)UniPCemu: the main thread itself.
- PulseHotplug: Linux provided Pulse library?
- SDLAudioP1: SDL2 audio rendering thread
- SDLAudioC2: SDL2 audio recording thread
- UniPCemu_Timing: the timer thread of UniPCemu

When you run gdb, then "run" then "info threads", what does it report?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 23 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ran the test software from ALEKS within UniPCemu's ET4000/W32... It after the final test that he posted reported something weird in UniPCemu's emulation:

Error reg:SEQ   #07
Error reg:ATT #06
Error reg:ATT #07

Then at the bottom: "Hit any key to continue", but it's unresponsive, not responding to keyboard input?

Edit: The BIOS still responds, but the app is 'hanging' because it's executing an invalid 0xFFFF opcode?
Edit: Hmmm... It's in the video BIOS at C000:700A.
Edit: So somehow the BIOS is setup for the lower memory aperture BIOS ROM only, while requiring it to be present?
Edit: Just fixed the Tseng registers read-protection a bit.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 24 of 81, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

EDIT:
I managed to reproduce the problem in qemu by running it on a non-working host and using "-cpu host". So UniPCemu or some component doesn't like AMD FX or old Xeons?
It doesn't seem to be related to number of threads or cores (tested with only one core, and the problem shows itself if -cpu host is used).

EDIT2:
Yep - it certainly looks like it's the cpu type that triggers this black screen problem.
To replicate, use "-cpu Nehalem" or "-cpu Penryn" for qemu guest.

EDIT3:
OK I compared the cpu flags of "Nehalem" and "core2duo" qemu cpu types and found the cpu flag that causes the problem to show itself in qemu: sse4.1
The popcnt flag is also present in Nehalem and missing in core2duo, but it doesn't seem to have the same effect.

Here's how the "black screen situation" looks like in kcachegrind (callgrind output is also attached, see the .7z file).
(Only the most called functions are shown here I think.)

Attachments

Last edited by mr.cat on 2021-03-27, 17:04. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 25 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Speaking of black screens, I've just added a new feature and setting that allows setting the black level to 7.5 IRE on all video cards. It only acts on the active display area, but in the case of the CGA/MDA adapters it acts on the entire display (since they process the display entirely a scanline at a time due to the NTSC mode being supported).
And since the difference of active display vs overscan and blanking only applies to EGA adapters and up, only on said newer cards is the difference visible (mainly seen in the contrast between the active display/overscan area and the black area around it).
Since the total level of NTSC seems to be using an IRE of 7.5 for black and an IRE of 100 for pure white, I've taken it as meaning that the color range in the red/green/blue channels are from 0-255 translated using a 7.5-100 scale to their correct 0-255 r/g/b channels? So 7.5=0, 255=255 and everything in between is in equal steps?
At least, that's how I've implemented it right now.
One nice thing is that it also allows you to view the exact active display area during testing of the video card or apps (since you can see where the active display ends). It also can add (if set to 7.5 IRE) some realness to the emulated display.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 26 of 81, by mr.cat

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, I did some further testing on that "Linux x64/sse4.1 black screen bug" I mentioned earlier and found out that this bug is glibc-related:
UniPCemu works just fine on the musl-based Void Linux, for example.

Here's a workaround for glibc-based distros (needs glibc >= 2.26 I think). Add this env variable in front of your UniPCemu command line:

GLIBC_TUNABLES=glibc.cpu.hwcaps=-SSE4_1

The trick works for the win64 binaries run in Wine too.

EDIT2:
OK I have found the root cause for this problem. In commonemuframework/emu/gpu/gpu_sdl.c we have this function:

//Returns 1 on not equal, 0 on equal!
OPTINLINE byte memdiff(void *start, void *value, uint_32 size)
{
return memcmp(start,value,((size_t)size)<<2); //Simply convert memory difference to 0-1!
}

Looks like the return value of memcmp() is not what is expected here. Simply changing the type from byte to word fixes the black screen problem.
The function return values will still be way off (so won't be just 0/1) but I'm not sure if it matters any.

Reply 27 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-04-01, 20:41:
Hi, I did some further testing on that "Linux x64/sse4.1 black screen bug" I mentioned earlier and found out that this bug is gl […]
Show full quote

Hi, I did some further testing on that "Linux x64/sse4.1 black screen bug" I mentioned earlier and found out that this bug is glibc-related:
UniPCemu works just fine on the musl-based Void Linux, for example.

Here's a workaround for glibc-based distros (needs glibc >= 2.26 I think). Add this env variable in front of your UniPCemu command line:

GLIBC_TUNABLES=glibc.cpu.hwcaps=-SSE4_1

The trick works for the win64 binaries run in Wine too.

EDIT2:
OK I have found the root cause for this problem. In commonemuframework/emu/gpu/gpu_sdl.c we have this function:

//Returns 1 on not equal, 0 on equal!
OPTINLINE byte memdiff(void *start, void *value, uint_32 size)
{
return memcmp(start,value,((size_t)size)<<2); //Simply convert memory difference to 0-1!
}

Looks like the return value of memcmp() is not what is expected here. Simply changing the type from byte to word fixes the black screen problem.
The function return values will still be way off (so won't be just 0/1) but I'm not sure if it matters any.

I've updated the file to use a comparison of the result against 0 (!=0) and a cast to byte just to be sure (I assume the result of a comparision (!= operator) is always 0 or 1).
That should make it work correctly.
Edit: Another slight update to make it use double negation instead (!!memcmp(...)).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 29 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
mr.cat wrote on 2021-04-06, 17:08:

Thanks, that double neg one seems to work. 👍

OK. As for why that was failing, the memdiff function itself is used to detect whether or not block copies between video surfaces are to be made and if the destination is supposed to be marked dirty for rendering on their respective destinations etc.
If such a dirty check fails(in this case it was due to size overflow(library to output) and truncation of it's result to an invalid value), the detection misbehaves and the caller thinks nothing is changed to render, thus ommitting the rendering of the graphics row it's transferring and not marking the surface dirty.
And this trinkles down to the surfaces said surface is used in and blitted onto(due to the dirty bit not being set). So if the surface being rendered from doesn't have it's dirty bit set, the app won't render it onto other surfaces(as it assumes they all are up-to-date). And eventually, since the main SDL surface (gotten from SDL when creating the window) doesn't have it's dirty bit set, the emulator doesn't blit the surface to the windows output(thus stays it's initial output: fully black), because why waste time rendering something that's not required to render?
This is only enforced (setting the main surface dirty bit) when it needs to be redrawn(due to the SDL event signalling that the display needs to be redrawn, like for example another app has drawn over it and it needs to be redrawn when moving it away again(leaving invalid pixels on Windows where the other window overlapped for example)).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 30 of 81, by fahr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, I recently found this emulator and I'm interested in trying a custom MBR on it. My MBR uses PWM to generate sounds on the PC Speaker and this does not work properly in Bochs or QEmu, but UniPCEmu seems to handle that fine.

I have a raw binary disk image with the MBR in the first sector. Is it possible to boot this using UniPCEmu? Do I need to pull some special tricks? In QEmu I start it with

format=raw,file=mbr.bin,if=floppy

if that helps.

Thanks!

Reply 31 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fahr wrote on 2021-06-07, 08:05:
Hi, I recently found this emulator and I'm interested in trying a custom MBR on it. My MBR uses PWM to generate sounds on the PC […]
Show full quote

Hi, I recently found this emulator and I'm interested in trying a custom MBR on it. My MBR uses PWM to generate sounds on the PC Speaker and this does not work properly in Bochs or QEmu, but UniPCEmu seems to handle that fine.

I have a raw binary disk image with the MBR in the first sector. Is it possible to boot this using UniPCEmu? Do I need to pull some special tricks? In QEmu I start it with

if that helps.

Thanks!

You would have to:
- Either zero-pad it to one of the supported standard floppy drive geometry sizes(standard 1.4MB floppy for example) for raw disk image files. Of course, the extension needs to be img or ima.
- Convert the single sector file to a IMD disk image, which supports a 1-sector disk to be used.

Of course, said padding is only needed if it isn't a full disk image (e.g. 1.44KB, 2.88MB etc.) already or not a multiple of 512 bytes in size.

Then use a proper BIOS compatible with UniPCemu's architectures (warning: PS/2 is actually just a Compaq Deskpro 386 with PS/2 mouse instead of a serial mouse).

Then simply mount the disk image onto the floppy drive and boot it using the BIOS ROM.

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 32 of 81, by fahr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote on 2021-06-07, 12:12:
You would have to: - Either zero-pad it to one of the supported standard floppy drive geometry sizes(standard 1.4MB floppy for e […]
Show full quote
Hi, I recently found this emulator and I'm interested in trying a custom MBR on it. My MBR uses PWM to generate sounds on the PC […]
Show full quote

if that helps.

Thanks!

You would have to:
- Either zero-pad it to one of the supported standard floppy drive geometry sizes(standard 1.4MB floppy for example) for raw disk image files. Of course, the extension needs to be img or ima.
- Convert the single sector file to a IMD disk image, which supports a 1-sector disk to be used.

Of course, said padding is only needed if it isn't a full disk image (e.g. 1.44KB, 2.88MB etc.) already or not a multiple of 512 bytes in size.

Then use a proper BIOS compatible with UniPCemu's architectures (warning: PS/2 is actually just a Compaq Deskpro 386 with PS/2 mouse instead of a serial mouse).

Then simply mount the disk image onto the floppy drive and boot it using the BIOS ROM.

Thanks for the quick response! I padded the binary to a 1.44MB size and I can select it now as a boot floppy.

It still won't work for some reason, though. I have the U13 and U15 roms in the ROM dir and when I start it, all I get is a black screen (after the settings prompt). I tried renaming the files, but then the log says it cannot find the ROM files. When I rename them back, no log gets created, so I assume the files are fine.

When I turn on debug logging, it looks like it quickly devolved into just running 0000 instructions over and over again. I am not sure what is going wrong here, maybe the BIOS ROMs are corrupt? I got them from PCjs github and converted them from hex to bin.

Log attached. Any help would be welcome!

Attachments

• Filename
    debugger.log
    File size
    666.48 KiB
    Downloads
    70 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 33 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fahr wrote on 2021-06-07, 13:30:
Thanks for the quick response! I padded the binary to a 1.44MB size and I can select it now as a boot floppy. […]
Show full quote
You would have to: - Either zero-pad it to one of the supported standard floppy drive geometry sizes(standard 1.4MB floppy for e […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

if that helps.

Thanks!

You would have to:

Thanks for the quick response! I padded the binary to a 1.44MB size and I can select it now as a boot floppy.

It still won't work for some reason, though. I have the U13 and U15 roms in the ROM dir and when I start it, all I get is a black screen (after the settings prompt). I tried renaming the files, but then the log says it cannot find the ROM files. When I rename them back, no log gets created, so I assume the files are fine.

When I turn on debug logging, it looks like it quickly devolved into just running 0000 instructions over and over again. I am not sure what is going wrong here, maybe the BIOS ROMs are corrupt? I got them from PCjs github and converted them from hex to bin.

That's probably because the ROM filename is incorrect.
https://bitbucket.org/superfury/unipcemu/wiki … Settings%20menu
Look at the "Boot with BIOS ROMS" bullet point. It explains the way the files are named to be used by the emulator.
In the case of the Compaq Deskpro 386, it's BIOSROM.U13.BIN and BIOSROM.U15.BIN. Before the ".U", the architecture can be prepended for more control on the minimum hardware to use it on, assuming upwards compatiblility(i440fx, i430fx, PS2, 32, COMPAQ, AT, XT. All case sensitive for linux OSes). If it can't find that one, it'll try no prefix for said ROMS (as in my examples). So it'll use the first from that list it can find (starting at the configured architecture).
The first in the list usually can use the lower privileged ROMs(e.g. i440fx->i430fx or PS2->COMPAQ, or even the lowest one (XT)).

UniPCemu also logs in the log directory when it can't find a ROM. It it does log that and the ROM directory exists (in the same folder as the SETTINGS.INI file), it's usually an indication of an actual missing ROM or simply that it's filename is incorrect.

Even a 80386/80486 on XT/AT is possible (It then emulated an Inboard [3/4]86 chipset).

The log indeed looks weird if indeed nothing is logged in the logs directory (it should be named "emu.log").

Edit: One glance at the first instruction reveals it: you have the ROMs swapped.
It's an even/odd ROM, so if you swap the ROM files, the even and odd bytes of the ROM read by the CPU swap places.
And what happens to the first instruction in that case?

log: 05EA 00F9 20F0
even/odd swapped: EA05 F900 F020
Which is disassembled:
EA 05F9 00F0
Reading the numbers as little endian values then make me end up with the following instruction:
JMP F000:F905
Which is a jump to the address F905 in the BIOS ROM (which is from F000:0000 though F000:FFFF).

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 34 of 81, by fahr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote on 2021-06-07, 17:04:
That's probably because the ROM filename is incorrect. https://bitbucket.org/superfury/unipcemu/wiki … Settings%20menu Look at t […]
Show full quote
fahr wrote on 2021-06-07, 13:30:
Thanks for the quick response! I padded the binary to a 1.44MB size and I can select it now as a boot floppy. […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

You would have to:

That's probably because the ROM filename is incorrect.
https://bitbucket.org/superfury/unipcemu/wiki … Settings%20menu
Look at the "Boot with BIOS ROMS" bullet point. It explains the way the files are named to be used by the emulator.
In the case of the Compaq Deskpro 386, it's BIOSROM.U13.BIN and BIOSROM.U15.BIN. Before the ".U", the architecture can be prepended for more control on the minimum hardware to use it on, assuming upwards compatiblility(i440fx, i430fx, PS2, 32, COMPAQ, AT, XT. All case sensitive for linux OSes). If it can't find that one, it'll try no prefix for said ROMS (as in my examples). So it'll use the first from that list it can find (starting at the configured architecture).
The first in the list usually can use the lower privileged ROMs(e.g. i440fx->i430fx or PS2->COMPAQ, or even the lowest one (XT)).

UniPCemu also logs in the log directory when it can't find a ROM. It it does log that and the ROM directory exists (in the same folder as the SETTINGS.INI file), it's usually an indication of an actual missing ROM or simply that it's filename is incorrect.

Even a 80386/80486 on XT/AT is possible (It then emulated an Inboard [3/4]86 chipset).

The log indeed looks weird if indeed nothing is logged in the logs directory (it should be named "emu.log").

Edit: One glance at the first instruction reveals it: you have the ROMs swapped.
It's an even/odd ROM, so if you swap the ROM files, the even and odd bytes of the ROM read by the CPU swap places.
And what happens to the first instruction in that case?

log: 05EA 00F9 20F0
even/odd swapped: EA05 F900 F020
Which is disassembled:
EA 05F9 00F0
Reading the numbers as little endian values then make me end up with the following instruction:
JMP F000:F905
Which is a jump to the address F905 in the BIOS ROM (which is from F000:0000 though F000:FFFF).

Swapping the ROMs indeed did the trick - it now actually runs something, but it's still not quite there.

It looks like CX gets initialized to 0xFFFF and then there's a really long loop around F000:B5B2, followed by an init of CX to 0x2000 and a REP STOSW at F000:9C05, which also takes forever. After that it jumps back to the long loop, but it never got beyond the BIOS. I think something must be wrong with my BIOS ROMs...

I would share the debugger log, but it's several hundred MBs at this point.

Reply 35 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you using the correct architecture combined with the ROMs? It's only using the u13/15 ROMs with the Compaq Deskpro 386 and PS/2 architecture.

Did you also add the required VGA ROMs if you're using a (S)VGA?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 36 of 81, by fahr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote on 2021-06-08, 17:20:

Are you using the correct architecture combined with the ROMs? It's only using the u13/15 ROMs with the Compaq Deskpro 386 and PS/2 architecture.

I think everything is set up correctly. Attached are my settings. I am not using VGA yet... I'm just trying to run an MBR that prints some characters using int 10h, no mode switching. I will be using VGA further down and I'll figure out the VGA BIOS at that point. For now it seems that it never even gets to the MBR, it just keeps looping in the BIOS memory range, which is why I think my BIOS ROMs are bad.

Attachments

• Filename
    SETTINGS.INI
    File size
    38.54 KiB
    Downloads
    69 downloads
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 37 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fahr wrote on 2021-06-09, 09:15:

I think everything is set up correctly. Attached are my settings. I am not using VGA yet... I'm just trying to run an MBR that prints some characters using int 10h, no mode switching. I will be using VGA further down and I'll figure out the VGA BIOS at that point. For now it seems that it never even gets to the MBR, it just keeps looping in the BIOS memory range, which is why I think my BIOS ROMs are bad.

I think there might be a problem with UniPCemu itself in this case. I've tried my own converted BIOS ROMs (which come from the same hex dumps) again with the latest source code of UniPCemu. It gets past the VGA initialization (with VGA card and it's VGAROM.BIN BIOS ROM present), but never starts counting the RAM while the text mode is displaying the cursor in the top left of the screen.

So perhaps some kind of CPU emulation bug? It used to work in at least some older versions (don't remember when) of UniPCemu, although I haven't checked it for a while.
Edit: Hmmm... The last think I see it doing before hanging itself up seems to be counting PIT 0 timer ticks? Then some port 64h I/O and locking itself up?

UniPCemu Git repository

Reply 38 of 81, by fahr

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
superfury wrote on 2021-06-09, 09:42:
I think there might be a problem with UniPCemu itself in this case. I've tried my own converted BIOS ROMs (which come from the s […]
Show full quote
fahr wrote on 2021-06-09, 09:15:

I think there might be a problem with UniPCemu itself in this case. I've tried my own converted BIOS ROMs (which come from the same hex dumps) again with the latest source code of UniPCemu. It gets past the VGA initialization (with VGA card and it's VGAROM.BIN BIOS ROM present), but never starts counting the RAM while the text mode is displaying the cursor in the top left of the screen.

So perhaps some kind of CPU emulation bug? It used to work in at least some older versions (don't remember when) of UniPCemu, although I haven't checked it for a while.
Edit: Hmmm... The last think I see it doing before hanging itself up seems to be counting PIT 0 timer ticks? Then some port 64h I/O and locking itself up?

Can you give a hint about the VGA BIOS you're using? I can try replicating the exact same setup and see what happens... if anything.

Reply 39 of 81, by superfury

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just the plain IBM VGA BIOS ROM in this case.
Although I also used a modified ROM for floppy disk booting (with hardcoded IRQ, DMA and base I/O port) from the Generic Super PC/Turbo XT BIOS package if I remember correctly.

Filename
155.png
File size
2.59 KiB
Downloads
No downloads
File comment
The displayed ROM info
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

That rom is first(for FDD) , XT-IDE 386 (for HDD) second and Plop 3rd (for CD-ROM).

Edit: Managed to find the issue:
The 8042 issues a CPU pending for all CPUs though the generic interface to the CPU reset line (shared handling with other hardware and the APIC).
Said handler sets the reset flag on all CPUs to apply it to (depending on the source of the reset).
Then, once the CPU core finds it needs to reset, it will trigger a CPU reset.
But since the reset logic of the CPU doesn't reset the halt state of the CPU, if it was in halt state it would keep being in halt state!
So any CPU that was in halt state prior to the reset would keep being in halt state, never executing any instructions anymore (including the boot CPU)!

Of course this is especially visible on architectures using the 8042 to reset the CPU while halting (pretty much all of them, except when done using the triple fault perhaps).
In those cases, said scenario would happen, causing the CPU to lock up unless woken up by an SIPI! So pretty much all CPU resets would cause infinite hangs (unless receiving an IRQ or other external non-reset event)!

UniPCemu Git repository