VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi all was setting up a old Pentium with win 98 and i was using philes computer lab easy dos mode menu when my pc got stuck in a boot loop where it would continue to load his menu after a restart and i could not get back into windows i fixed this by clearing out everything in the system config and autobat files windows now loads fine however now every time before boot i get C:\
c:\
c:\

does anyone know what the default system config and autobat files are supposed to have in them?
everything works fine its just my ocd wants it to be correct 🤣
does anyone have a file from a default install of win98se
thankyou

Reply 1 of 12, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is from my Windows 98SE computer.

Autoexec.bat:

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

Config.sys:

device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 3 of 12, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

add an

@echo off

as the first line in your autoexec.bat
and loose the display.sys line and the two mode con lines.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The post by Woody72 is just setting dos for the UK region. You can delete all of it and I'll just default back to USA. (or google the correct line for your region)
If your booting into Win98 ideally you don't want anything, Win9x only needs entries for anything lacking 9x drivers or compatibility for dos games within windows

Reply 5 of 12, by vkcpolice

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

does anyone just have a file i can copy and paste? im a little confused now as to what to put in there. i guess i could just leave as is as i said win 98 now boots up fine its just the annoying text on screen

Reply 6 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-04-19, 10:35:

i fixed this by clearing out everything in the system config and autobat files

What exactly did you clear? The files are named config.sys and autoexec.bat. (You can easily open them by running "sysedit" from Start->Run.)

If you emptied the wrong files then that might explain what are you seeing. (I guess your ocd doesn't want your posts to be correct..?)

Reply 7 of 12, by kjliew

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

For Win98/98SE I would just do the bare minimal.
They are from my Win98 VM clean image.

AUTOEXEC.BAT

@echo off
set DIRCMD=/OGN
lh doskey /insert

CONFIG.SYS

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\setver.exe

Reply 9 of 12, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-04-20, 05:33:

i clearly stated that i cleared the text in the autobat and sys config files...

Yes, and there is no such thing as an "autobat" file. There is a file named "autoexec.bat".

If you're editing a file named "autobat", then you are editing the wrong file.

Reply 11 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vkcpolice wrote on 2021-04-20, 04:12:

does anyone just have a file i can copy and paste? im a little confused now as to what to put in there. i guess i could just leave as is as i said win 98 now boots up fine its just the annoying text on screen

As I said you don't actually need them. just delete or if you want a backup rename or move to a folder

If you do want to edit them for whatever reason they are just text files, so open them in notepad (you will need to change file type to show all files)