VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thought it might be useful to the ppl here who are fans of old windows games and niche emulators. Feedback appreciated.

https://github.com/mashakos/OmniScaler

Reply 4 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ZellSF wrote on 2021-04-20, 13:54:

He's said (elsewhere) that it isn't open source. You can only download the release.

Ok... where?

google gives me nothing for "mashakos" and "omniscaler" 🙁

EDIT: It's almost a googlewhack for me (I only get 3 results returned), which is something that has not happened to me in a long time...

Reply 5 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
spiroyster wrote on 2021-04-20, 14:58:

Ok... where?

github changed their UI recently, you should see a section to the right titled "Releases" on desktop. Which takes you to this page

https://github.com/mashakos/OmniScaler/releases

Reply 6 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-04-20, 09:05:

I would like to see some D3D9 games scaled better (lanczos scaling for example), but that requires mouse input which I gather is rather complicated (dgVoodoo and GeDoSaTo often fail because of this).

mouse input required for pixel shader code? can you elaborate?

Reply 7 of 21, by spiroyster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mashakos wrote on 2021-04-20, 15:44:
spiroyster wrote on 2021-04-20, 14:58:

Ok... where?

github changed their UI recently, you should see a section to the right titled "Releases" on desktop. Which takes you to this page

https://github.com/mashakos/OmniScaler/releases

Brill thanks, didn't even realise that was clickable 😀

Reply 8 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

new version out.

https://github.com/mashakos/OmniScaler/releases/

Major updates:

• Overhauled window clipping engine. Pixel offset edits in gamefs.ini are no longer required for 99% of situations.
  • Overhauled alt+tab, alt+enter logic.
  • Overhauled integer scaling and integer overscan scaling.
  • Custom mouse pointer. If a game does not include its own custom mouse pointer enable this feature:
    MousePointerEnable=1
    Custom mouse pointer is not compatible with overscan currently.

Reply 9 of 21, by schlomoe99

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just gave it a go, and now Westwood Monopoly starts in fullscreen! I can't yet access the top of the window after the intro videos, though,. Maybe I'll play with the pixel offset features...

Reply 10 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
schlomoe99 wrote on 2021-04-30, 02:01:

I just gave it a go, and now Westwood Monopoly starts in fullscreen! I can't yet access the top of the window after the intro videos, though,. Maybe I'll play with the pixel offset features...

"Requires Windows 3.1 or later " hmm thats beyond the scope of my project !

Reply 11 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mashakos wrote on 2021-04-20, 15:45:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-04-20, 09:05:

I would like to see some D3D9 games scaled better (lanczos scaling for example), but that requires mouse input which I gather is rather complicated (dgVoodoo and GeDoSaTo often fail because of this).

mouse input required for pixel shader code? can you elaborate?

I think I read somewhere that you need to forward input?

I would test how it works currently, but sadly the program doesn't work on my gaming computer and I can't figure out why; OmniScaler will launch notepad just fine, but with any game executable it just refuses to work. It's a "me" problem though, I'll look into it later.

At any rate, have you considered adding different scaling algorithms? Being able to lanczos scale rather than blurry bilinear scale will make so many 1080p only games look so much better on 4K monitors. I think it's more important than integer scaling (which I feel has been extensively covered by existing utilities and GPU drivers). Maybe doable by shaders?

Reply 12 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-05-08, 19:53:

I would test how it works currently, but sadly the program doesn't work on my gaming computer and I can't figure out why; OmniScaler will launch notepad just fine, but with any game executable it just refuses to work. It's a "me" problem though, I'll look into it later.

It might have to do with DPI scaling. When your DPI scaling is higher than 100% in Win10 games will either lock up, display a black screen or scale incorrectly in the final fullscreen view. I just finished writing code that makes OmniScaler DPI aware which would solve those issues, will be in the next release

ZellSF wrote on 2021-05-08, 19:53:

At any rate, have you considered adding different scaling algorithms? Being able to lanczos scale rather than blurry bilinear scale will make so many 1080p only games look so much better on 4K monitors. I think it's more important than integer scaling (which I feel has been extensively covered by existing utilities and GPU drivers). Maybe doable by shaders?

I am planning on it but implementing a nice pixel shader engine is... daunting. For now I am leaving that up to you the user: you can copy reshade or other injectors into the same folder as OmniScaler.exe and the shader will the effect on the fullscreen view.

Reply 14 of 21, by mashakos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ZellSF wrote on 2021-05-11, 15:16:

ReShade doesn't allow upscaling with shaders though.

Maybe sweetfx? Coulda swore there was a sweetfx lanczos config floating around. If there isn't adding a shader engine that does bicubic/lanczos as well as loading shader hlsl files is planned

Reply 15 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
mashakos wrote on 2021-05-11, 22:59:
ZellSF wrote on 2021-05-11, 15:16:

ReShade doesn't allow upscaling with shaders though.

Maybe sweetfx? Coulda swore there was a sweetfx lanczos config floating around. If there isn't adding a shader engine that does bicubic/lanczos as well as loading shader hlsl files is planned

SweetFx doesn't work on newer Windows versions. At any rate, a upscaling shader needs the original image, I'm guessing your program doesn't output anything but an already resized image. CRT filters also need a original image (to know where the original pixels are) in most cases.

Anyway, the latest version does work, but for some reason I can't see the cursor (I disabled DPI scaling and rebooted to make sure that wasn't the issue), but for some reason I could on the other computer. Using the Ctrl "locate mouse" feature in Windows shows that the cursor probably would have been in the wrong position anyway (why? I don't understand what this program is doing with mouse input...).

I did some tests about games which hopefully will see some benefit if you continue to develop this program, with mixed results:

Baldur's Gate II (OpenGL mode) - Needs to alt-tab out and in to get the (game rendererd) cursor working. Scales properly, but mouse clipping coordinates are off. I would like to see an expert option to disable mouse clipping entirely if possible, Infinity Engine games uses screen edge scrolling (even in windowed mode) so being able to go to the edge of the screen is important.

Dragon Age: Origins - Does nothing. Probably confused by splash screen.

Invisible Inc - can't do anything because cursor clipping is way off. Scales properly though.

Nectaris - Scales properly, deals properly with transitioning between dialog boxes. Taskbar doesn't hide. That said the other way I have of launching this game also has an inclusion in the script to hide the taskbar, so maybe the game itself tries to show it.

Root Double: Before Crime After Days: Xtend Edition - Scales properly.

Steins;Gate (Steam version) - Scales properly.

Except Baldur's Gate II and Dragon Age: Origins, I had mouse issues.

Reply 16 of 21, by gernumikus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is not true, SweetFx runs on the latest version of Windows 10. I personally checked it recently. If there are any problems, it’s not the operating system. However, I don't see any point in this program, Reshade is better in absolutely everything.

Reply 18 of 21, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

mashakos, dude... Thank you for that utility! No more manually killing the DWM via another hack to play without VSync-induced lag on Win8 and up! I rolled back to Win7 pretty much because of this hassle, so there is currently no way for me to test it & provide feedback, but as soon as I'll be forced to "degrade" to Win10 - I'll be sure to write a couple of lines regarding the result!

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22

Reply 19 of 21, by ZellSF

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The mouse issue was because I had the Windows mouse cursor scheme set to "None". You should probably account for that. After changing that I have mouse cursor on both computers now, but glitchy graphics for the mouse cursor on one, not quite sure why yet.

I figured out how to disable mouse clipping, so drop that feature request.