VOGONS

First post, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK, stupid noob questions.

I have Crimson Skies running in Win7 using the csfix (a dll, ini, and exe) but there is a major issue with frame rates, about every minute or so the fps plummets to slide show levels for a minute or so then returns to normal ...makes aiming near impossible. Read somewhere this is a side effect of the csfix and to use dgVoodoo instead. Downloaded dgVoodoo and ...have no idea what to do with it. Install in game folder? install somewhere else? doesn't matter? How to configure? Read everything at download site but felt if I understood that I wouldn't need to be reading it.

Not completely computer illiterate but not a fan of trial and error tweaking either.

Reply 2 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks. But that's what I'm talking about - 15 pages of instructions, of which maybe ten percent are pertinent to me ...but which ten percent?

First question, I already have numerous DX (Visual C++) versions installed for older games, do I still need the ones with this program? If so which (particular glide, particular DX, one of each, all)? (The name of the program was concerning since I've not had a Voodoo card in twenty years, but apparently that's not the reference.)

FWIW, system is old Dell Inspiron 1720 laptop with GeForce 8600M 256meg vid card, but more than adequate for Crimson Skies.

Reply 3 of 6, by antrad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Crimson Skies is an old DirectX game, so you need to follow instructions under "Installation - DirectX 2-8". All you have to do is copy the mentioned files into the game installation folder. Any other configuration is optional, unless there is a very specific issue with the game and a known fix. You should remove any other custom dll you might have used before.

Since dgVoodoo is meant for use on modern hardware, I'm not sure will it work on your old laptop.

If you want widescreen support in combination with dgvoodoo there are fixes available in link below.
I tested these personally with dgVoodoo version 2.54 on Windows 7. You will see 4 download options; first 2 are for csfix only, the last 2 are for dgVoodoo with stretched or centered HUD. Just replace the exe in one of the available with resolution you want.
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … -skies-fov-fix/

https://antonior-software.blogspot.com

Reply 4 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again. Only files I added were the csfix, so easily removed. System is old (picked up at a yard sale a couple of years ago for $50, same model bringing $300 or so on ebay today), Intel duo 2.2 gig, 2gig RAM; originally had Vista, W10 when I bought it, immediately removed that and installed Win7; has run Oblivion, Torchlight II, CFS3 with Firepower mod, etc. with no issues other than CPU temps hitting 90 and kicking the fans into supercharger mode . Oddest thing is default resolution is 1920x1200, higher than any desktop I've had.

Will consider widescreen when base game is behaving, though the erratic fps has been the only problem (so far, 🤣).

Reply 5 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it is running, so to speak.

First issue - many menu items display as a rectangle of smaller black/red/orange rectangles, sort of a checkerboard of little rectangles. For example, main menu screen looks normal (except for that checkerboard bottom center where text should be), select Quick Combat, get to next screen, menu on left listing missions looks normal, select drop down list on right (to change aircraft, etc.) and entire list is that checkerboard. In flight, descriptive text for nearby aircraft is normal, shoot down an aircraft and the popup text informing you of that victory is just a rectangle of black/red/orange rectangles. (I tried getting a screenshot of this, with a couple of different programs, but just get a black image ....this may be related to next problem.)

Second issue - I can navigate different screens with no issue until I fly a mission, from then on every time I change screens I briefly see the next screen then I get a black screen; I can ALT+TAB out then click the Crimson Skies button on the task bar and the game pops back up with the screen displayed.

But the frame rate issue is gone!

Reply 6 of 6, by jgf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apparently I can have either a functional interface but inconsistent frame rates or I can have good frame rates with corrupt text and the need to minimize/maximize after every screen change. Neither acceptable, will soon abandon this as not worth the effort.