Reply 22 of 307, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some Duke Nukem 3D demos :
Grab bag : https://youtu.be/qQTaoxQ1YmQ
Ah, Geez ! : https://youtu.be/hRY-XGKbZwg

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 24 of 307, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Original X2 owner here. I'm pretty bummed that I can't just buy this soundbank and upload it to my board. My only choice it to actually buy an almost identical board — even though the reason I've bought X2 in the first place was to be able to use custom soundbanks, and to add insult to injury, there aren't a lot of banks available for X2, to be honest.

I do realise that when you deal with a company like Roland, you don't have a lot of say, so if they don't want their soundbank to be avaiable outside of the X2GS card, there is probably nothing you could have done.

However, I feel that this issue should be addressed. Is there any hope the GS bank will eventually become available for purchase to the original X2/X3 users?

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 25 of 307, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jheronimus wrote on 2021-04-25, 13:49:

Is there any hope the GS bank will eventually become available for purchase to the original X2/X3 users?

Hi, I understand your feeling, but this is not possible.
The conditions for this bank are strict, and I wish to comply 100% to the contract.

Did you see the thread with unofficial soundbanks for X2 by Hummtaro ? Unofficial Soundbanks for Dreamblaster X2 / X3M / X16
If you have further soundbank requests for Hummtaro, I suggest to post in that thread.
Note: Soundbanks up to 48mbyte can be uploaded to both X2GS and X2. Above 48 mbyte will only work on X2.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 26 of 307, by igna78

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What an incredible job .. compliments.
..Is it wrong or does it sound like a Sound Canvas 55? 😁

It combines the best of an X2 and a Yucatan FX, although to be perfect it should have 64MB of free memory and 16MB for the Roland set 😆

Still many compliments Dreamblaster

Reply 27 of 307, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Really cool that you managed to get those sound banks licensed! I've got a SC-88 sitting on my desk already, but this could be a great solution if you have less space or can't find a Sound Canvas in your area (for a reasonable price).

I was wondering if Roland made any updates to the ROM itself since its release. Does your ROM have a version number or a date code?

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 28 of 307, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Congrats Serge. I would appreciate if someone could make a head to head comparison between this and the YucatanFX, I'm wondering how much better the EQ balance and volume levels are on this card.

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 29 of 307, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just wondering... in what case would you benefit from this card, if you already own some other wavetable card (Roland, Yamaha, Terratec...) and you're a casual MIDI listener?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 30 of 307, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
kixs wrote on 2021-04-26, 07:53:

Just wondering... in what case would you benefit from this card, if you already own some other wavetable card (Roland, Yamaha, Terratec...) and you're a casual MIDI listener?

In case you want a daughterboard that sounds exactly like a Roland Sound Canvas.

Reply 31 of 307, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wouldn't say "exactly like" but "very very similar" , there are some differences
but for gaming usage you might get the odd weirdness or two but 99% of the time the result will be great

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 32 of 307, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:12:

I wouldn't say "exactly like" but "very very similar" , there are some differences
but for gaming usage you might get the odd weirdness or two but 99% of the time the result will be great

keropi, if you have both can you do a Doom E1M1 comparison of YucatanFX vs X2GS?

Reply 33 of 307, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:30:

keropi, if you have both can you do a Doom E1M1 comparison of YucatanFX vs X2GS?

sure I can do that in the evening

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 34 of 307, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
keropi wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:46:

Thanks, so much appreciated!

Reply 36 of 307, by kixs

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:10:
kixs wrote on 2021-04-26, 07:53:

In case you want a daughterboard that sounds exactly like a Roland Sound Canvas.

I suppose not all Roland cards are the same. Is there a list of cards (wavetable or not) that use this SC soundbank or have the same sound?

Requests are also possible... /msg kixs

Reply 37 of 307, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:48:
keropi wrote on 2021-04-26, 10:46:

Thanks, so much appreciated!

I have no idea what happened but I cannot record from my main pc.
Audacity gives an error accessing devices and messing with the line-in options and mixer of my modern soundcard does nothing at all.
It worked yesterday but not today. 😐 super-WTF moment

edit:
turns out I need to enable "MICROPHONE ACCESS" in latest win10 for line-in to be usable... 🤣 🤣 🤣

Reply 38 of 307, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would like to buy one of these but need to wait a while. Do you have a set number of these you can produce or is there a good supply of all the needed parts?

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39 of 307, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-26, 18:07:

I would like to buy one of these but need to wait a while. Do you have a set number of these you can produce or is there a good supply of all the needed parts?

no need for dreamblaster to answer this since I already asked in private: X2GS is all new parts and can be made in huge numbers - no more hunting 90s chips like the Yucatan for example