VOGONS

First post, by flametwist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Are there any motherboards that have both Slot 1 and Socket 7? I think I found one in an old computer from an old factory. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

Prostetnic for president!

Reply 2 of 18, by jheronimus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
flametwist wrote on 2020-01-23, 19:54:

Are there any motherboards that have both Slot 1 and Socket 7? I think I found one in an old computer from an old factory. Any info would be helpful, thanks!

That's probably a Socket 370/Slot 1 motherboard — those do exist, and Socket 370 looks similar to Socket 7. Another option is Slot1/Socket 8, but those are pretty rare. In other words, the motherboard still has only one chipset, and there is no chipset that supports both Slot 1 and Socket 7.

Here's a combo S370/S1 board:

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
227.01 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

MR BIOS catalog
Unicore catalog

Reply 3 of 18, by flametwist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it could be the Socket 370 one - although I'm not sure and the I/O section only contains AT port. Weird motherboard, indeed.

Attachments

Prostetnic for president!

Reply 4 of 18, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

google tells me: http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/pcchips/m726mrt.htm

might be a different revision, slightly different capacitor placement, but I've found pictures looking like yours too.

Reply 7 of 18, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It also supports AT (currently in use) and ATX power looking at that pic.
Could be fun to play with

Reply 8 of 18, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can actually read PGA and "70" on the socket on that picture - my guess is, theres a "3" hidden under the clip for the cooler ..

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 9 of 18, by Bort

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I wondered the same thing as I received a Computer today where I thought that might be the case especially since the slot is marked with "slot 1"

0d528437-8054-4e29-9ec4-1ecb6664290c.jpg
Filename
File size
143.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Turns out, in the computer case was also a little PCB flying around which fits perfectly (labeled DOC 15180 PBS-256, seems to be a cache board)
I cant test the computer right now as unfortunately also the CPU was flying around in the case and has some bent pins 🙁

(I actually landed here googling the question from this thread, but I actually encountered your little forum quite often recently. So.. hi!)

Reply 10 of 18, by Big Pink

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Bort wrote on 2021-04-24, 23:26:

I wondered the same thing as I received a Computer today where I thought that might be the case especially since the slot is marked with "slot 1"

Are you sure that isn't just a slot labelled as 'slot 1' (primary slot) rather than proper noun 'Slot 1' (the CPU connector)? The key looks like it's right in the middle, unlike the SC242 slot.

I thought IBM was born with the world

Reply 11 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Bort wrote on 2021-04-24, 23:26:
I wondered the same thing as I received a Computer today where I thought that might be the case especially since the slot is mar […]
Show full quote

Turns out, in the computer case was also a little PCB flying around which fits perfectly (labeled DOC 15180 PBS-256, seems to be a cache board)
I cant test the computer right now as unfortunately also the CPU was flying around in the case and has some bent pins 🙁

(I actually landed here googling the question from this thread, but I actually encountered your little forum quite often recently. So.. hi!)

Welcome to the forum!😃
You're correct, the brown slot next to the CPU socket is used to plug in a cache module. (COAST - Cache On A STick)

Reply 12 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

By the way there is a motherboard that can fit (dual) So7 or Slot 1:

ASUS P/I-P65UP5

The board is a monster of a board with I/O on the main board:

P65UP5-1-480x360.JPG
Filename
P65UP5-1-480x360.JPG
File size
63.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Then you add a CPU board. There is a dual So7 board with i430HX chipset on it, C-P55T2D:

p55t2d.jpg
Filename
p55t2d.jpg
File size
7.45 KiB
Views
File license

And a Slot 1 board with i440FX chipset on it, C-PKND:

C-PKND.jpg
Filename
C-PKND.jpg
File size
44.86 KiB
Views
File license

Most commonly though it was used with the C-P6ND daughterboard for dual So8 PPro (and also i440FX chipset):

C-P6ND.jpg
Filename
C-P6ND.jpg
File size
133.2 KiB
Views
File license

I believe luckybob has some if not all of this kit...

Reply 13 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-04-25, 09:15:
By the way there is a motherboard that can fit (dual) So7 or Slot 1: […]
Show full quote

By the way there is a motherboard that can fit (dual) So7 or Slot 1:

ASUS P/I-P65UP5

The board is a monster of a board with I/O on the main board:
P65UP5-1-480x360.JPG

Then you add a CPU board. There is a dual So7 board with i430HX chipset on it, C-P55T2D:
p55t2d.jpg

And a Slot 1 board with i440FX chipset on it, C-PKND:
C-PKND.jpg

Most commonly though it was used with the C-P6ND daughterboard for dual So8 PPro (and also i440FX chipset):
C-P6ND.jpg

Is... is this even a mainboard? I mean it doesn't have CPU sockets or northbridge, so it's more of a backplane but then it has the RAM slots (despite not having the memory controller) and southbridge with everything so it really isn't a backplane.
How exquisitely weird!😄

Reply 15 of 18, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Mainboards with CPU-cards and even memory-cards were not unusual in these days. Especially in the enterprise / server segment.

I still have one P65UP5 in my collection together with 2 Pentium Pro cards and the Socket 7 card. I never managed to find the Slot 1 card at a decent price.

Reply 16 of 18, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
majestyk wrote on 2021-04-25, 10:44:

Mainboards with CPU-cards and even memory-cards were not unusual in these days. Especially in the enterprise / server segment.

I have seen a lot of similar stuff too but never, well, half a motherboard.😄

I'm not too familiar with server hardware, so what other boards do you know that have the southbridge with I/O and all but not the northbridge?😃

Reply 17 of 18, by majestyk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, I see what you mean. The MCH is sitting on the CPU cards here. This had to be done because they changed platforms between the versions demanding different MCHs.
Solutions like American Megatrends "Goliath" with two CPU cards and one memory card had the MCH on the motherboard - but this was (quad) Pentium Pro only.
But there are other examples with the MCHs on the CPU card:

https://picclick.de/Dual-Intel-Pentium-Pro-Mo … ml#&gid=1&pid=1

I believe we can still speak of a motherboard here, because otherwise most motherboards today would be no / half motherboards, since today the MCH is inside the CPU. 😉

Reply 18 of 18, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
dionb wrote on 2021-04-25, 09:15:

WzeqyzC.jpg

I was actually going to post here, but the question has been answered.

the p65up5 is my 2nd favorite board. It was thought, you could save money by making one main board, and just slot in the cpu you wanted. (you also had to swap the bios)

The board is NOT designed to be swapped often.

Also there exists a very elusive "big brother" to the UP5, the P65UP8. read more here: Bitchin' dual p-pro setup

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.