VOGONS

First post, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

According to gigabyte site
https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-8ITXE … ort#support-cpu
Northwood 2,4/400 is a max for this mobo. But there are faster Northwood 400s - 2,5 ; 2,6 ; 2,8 ; 3,0.
Is it possible to run them on this mobo? It is possible that they will run natively? Or maybe it would be possible to edit the bios microcode?

Reply 1 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it possible to run them on this mobo?

Anything without HT should be good. And CPUs with HT may not boot at all on Gigabyte motherboards. Overall, I see no benefit in looking for one. Intel 850 chipset is easily overclockable to 133 Mhz and RDRAM multiplier can be lowered too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 2 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As far as I know, the fastest 400 FSB P4 is a 2.8 Northwood. But as The Serpent Rider said, pop in a 533 Northwood and take those Rimms as far as you can go with the dividers.

Reply 3 of 11, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fastest is 3.0Ghz:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intel_P … um_4_processors

I haven't been able to find one for cheap, but the 2.8Ghz ones are generally really cheap.

Not sure it is worth it to me to spend $70+ US to get 200Mhz more over the 2.8Ghz ones that can be had for around $10 on eBay.

I really want to find a cheap 3.0 and see how far I can push it on a newer board that supports the 800Mhz FSB but it probably wouldn't matter one bit over a 2.8 since it is going to run out of steam way before that when set to the max multiplier.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 4 of 11, by flupke11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thx for the info on the 3.0/400. I haven't seen one in the wild. I will have a 2.8/400 soon and will test it on a variety of boards and chipsets.

I used to run a 2.8/400 on a P4T533 rimm 32bit based Asus board at a fairly high overclock without issues (around 3,4 IIRC) and that system was very snappy. It's still one of my favourite P4 boards.

Reply 5 of 11, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was finally able to bring this mobo back to life. To my surprise, the board runs with the sl6wh processor, - it`s northwood 2,6 / 800 / HT. For now, I do not have time to check if this connection is 100% stable.

I started the topic because I wanted to "max" the platform based on this mobo. And everything points to the fact that this mobo supports EE (there is just one copy to buy in my country - only $300 xD )

Reply 6 of 11, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, i had to update my knowledge about FSB, so what I wrote above is not true.

However, I decided to check whether the board will handle HT. There is no mention of this in the bios. After installing WinXP - everest shows status "supported, enabled", there is two CPU usage charts in task manager, and prime95 shows two worker windows with passed test. Is it enough to prove that HT is 100% functional?

Reply 7 of 11, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dulu wrote on 2021-05-04, 18:54:

Ok, i had to update my knowledge about FSB, so what I wrote above is not true.

However, I decided to check whether the board will handle HT. There is no mention of this in the bios. After installing WinXP - everest shows status "supported, enabled", there is two CPU usage charts in task manager, and prime95 shows two worker windows with passed test. Is it enough to prove that HT is 100% functional?

That sounds fairly conclusive to me!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 9 of 11, by dulu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After two years I bought P4 HT Northwood 3.06/512/533. After setting the fsb to 133 and ram divisor, prime95 shows an error after a few seconds. Win XP has never crashed at all.

The question is whether it is the fault of too high FSB or temperatures. Immediately after boot, the temperature of the processor in the bios fluctuates between 50 and 70 degrees Celsius second by second. Is it possible that the processor is overheating due to the old thermal paste under the ihs?

Reply 10 of 11, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, quite possible, there could be hot spot which has temperature higher than that too.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 11 of 11, by mockingbird

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dulu wrote on 2023-05-04, 09:59:

After two years I bought P4 HT Northwood 3.06/512/533. After setting the fsb to 133 and ram divisor, prime95 shows an error after a few seconds. Win XP has never crashed at all.

The question is whether it is the fault of too high FSB or temperatures. Immediately after boot, the temperature of the processor in the bios fluctuates between 50 and 70 degrees Celsius second by second. Is it possible that the processor is overheating due to the old thermal paste under the ihs?

I would delid the CPU and replace the TIM... Yes, Intel did not solder the IHS on most of the chips from that era. Your board will also need re-capping most likely.

mslrlv.png
(Decommissioned:)
7ivtic.png