VOGONS

Toshiba T1910

Topic actions

First post, by Excelsior

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I have an old Toshiba T1910 laptop obtained years ago which I was using until recently for running legacy software and games.
Unfortunately when I turned it on yesterday, the Power and HDD activity LEDs blink several times but nothing else happens.
I received a suggestion that some caps might be guilty but until I open it I don't know the exact cause.
Can you help me with a manual for this laptop?
The plastic is quite old I have to be careful not to break it due to its age.
Also any advices or recommendations are welcome.
Thank in advance!
The laptop is this one: http://michaelminn.com/linux/toshiba1910/

Reply 1 of 7, by ahurst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Excelsior wrote on 2021-04-27, 17:13:
Hello everyone, […]
Show full quote

Hello everyone,

I have an old Toshiba T1910 laptop obtained years ago which I was using until recently for running legacy software and games.
Unfortunately when I turned it on yesterday, the Power and HDD activity LEDs blink several times but nothing else happens.
I received a suggestion that some caps might be guilty but until I open it I don't know the exact cause.
Can you help me with a manual for this laptop?
The plastic is quite old I have to be careful not to break it due to its age.
Also any advices or recommendations are welcome.
Thank in advance!
The laptop is this one: http://michaelminn.com/linux/toshiba1910/

I was able to find a manual for the T1900, hopefully it's pretty similar? It has a "troubleshooting flowchart" that might be able to help you out. I also found a forum thread saying that the design (and disassembly) should be very similar to the Toshiba T4400C.

If you suspect bad caps at all, it's probably worth it to take the thing apart and check.

Reply 3 of 7, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's one capacitor that's typically faulty on these. I bought a T1950CT the other day that was doing similar to yours, it would attempt to power up then shut off, and apparently after a few hours it would start working.

Here's my experience with the repair: Re: What retro activity did you get up to today?

I made a capacitor map and this should be common to all of the Toshiba 486 and early pentium laptops like the T19xx, T4400 > T4900. Essentially, the beige Toshibas.

T1900 T1910 T1950 T1960 - Lower PCB capacitor map - 2024b.jpg
Filename
T1900 T1910 T1950 T1960 - Lower PCB capacitor map - 2024b.jpg
File size
1.26 MiB
Views
File comment
Edit for 2024 - new bad caps located, more detailed notes
File license
CC-BY-4.0
T1900C capacitors - Lower Board - Underside - Annotated.jpg
Filename
T1900C capacitors - Lower Board - Underside - Annotated.jpg
File size
1.07 MiB
Views
File comment
Edit for 2024 - new bad caps located
File license
CC-BY-4.0

You need to clean off any electrolyte on the board, usually a brown-ish gunk that might have a fishy smell. Use IPA and a brush to clean it off, some can get stuck under other capacitors, but it's pretty much just C511 that fails. You can replace it with one of the same value, though Internet has said that the voltage is a bit low for the job there so if you can fit a higher voltage cap with the same capacitance, it might be good to. I just replaced mine with the same value and the laptop went from unable to boot, back to working reliably.

For taking the laptop apart, do refer to the Replacement Procedures section of the maintenance manual for the T1910 or another one like the T1950. There are lots of screws with different lengths and putting a long screw into a short screw's hole can damage things quite badly. I kept a record of screw lengths in notepad as I went to keep track of everything.

These older Toshiba laptops are quite resilient, but be careful with the ribbon connectors as they were fragile to start with and age has not helped. The ones on mine were all okay though, nothing crumbling to dust. When you're in there, you should also remove the green standby battery in there. These ones don't suffer battery damage so badly as the Pentium-type Toshiba laptops, but they don't work anymore and they will eventually start corroding the mainboard.

Edit for 2024:
Updated the image with more information regarding cap sizes. See this post for more details: Re: Old Toshiba T1900 series laptop faulty PSU boards

Original version of capacitor map:

capacitor map.jpg
Filename
capacitor map.jpg
File size
1.39 MiB
Views
File comment
Toshiba T1950CT capacitor map
File license
CC-BY-4.0
Last edited by Thermalwrong on 2024-02-16, 21:10. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 7, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my case (T1920) single cap replacement also fixed it, that was close to 10 years ago, but I believe symptoms were the same. Still works.

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 6 of 7, by mattsbone

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I did have the same issue and replaced the 1000uf 6.3v cap, then packed it away for a while as the floppy still needed fixing. Now I have the same problem back. I have replaced now 470uf 25v, 2200uf 6.3v, 3x 220uf 16v.

Now I only have 2x120uf 16v & 2x56uf 16v left to replace, hope its one of these. x

If not, anyone know what next to try?