VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though I'm in my twenties, this rather limited 2003 racing game, Hot Wheels: World Race, still pulls me in every now and again. Partly due to nostalgia, but also due to awesome music and quirky tracks.
t1suQAQl.png MTJP9bll.png

Recently, I started playing it again on my XP machine (which curiously requires me to run the game with 9x/ME compatibility mode enabled to run properly) and getting into doing the time trials, the closest thing to just solo-driving and gunning for better times, something I've done a lot with Need for Speed 3: Hot Pursuit on my main rig with VEG's Modern Patch. This got me thinking: besides sketchy cracks that don't really do anything for the game besides allow you to play it on modern OSes and machines, are there fan-made projects out there like VEG's Modern Patch that add additional features and perhaps make the game portable for this or other Hot Wheels games from this golden era of Hot Wheels media? Also, are there still some groups of people who still meet up and host some multiplayer lobbies for this game? I'd love to try some WR multiplayer in 2021! 😀

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 5, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I remember those games back when I was a Jr. In high school we used to play a lan game when I was in Votech for my A+ and Net+ classes. I'll need to search through my old games as I should have it still. My 6 year old son would absolutely love it.

Reply 2 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 19:24:

I remember those games back when I was a Jr. In high school we used to play a lan game when I was in Votech for my A+ and Net+ classes. I'll need to search through my old games as I should have it still. My 6 year old son would absolutely love it.

Wow, that's cool. Nice to see it actually having some popularity among older age groups.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 4 of 5, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-04-28, 22:05:

My younger brother who is just a bit older than you used to play it back then and I really liked it and then brought it in and got my class hooked on it.

Oh? Damn.

Curious, did Stunt Track Challenge get the same reception? Or did people move on by that point?

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png