VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by dhruba.bandopadhyay

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I got a ECS 915G-A motherboard which has only 1 IDE slot. In the past I had motherboards with 4 IDE slots (for RAID, etc.). I guess these new motherboards are phasing out IDE slots and replacing them with SATA slots. I have a IDE HD & 2 IDE DVD drives. As you can see, I can only use 1 HD & 1 DVD drive. I do not want to buy a new HD. Is there any way to get another IDE device? Do I have to buy one of those IDE expansion boards?

Please sign the Blood source code release petition

Reply 1 of 2, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Buy a new HD. Stick your IDE CD drives on the IDE controller as God (or your mobo manufacturer) intended.

You can buy PCI IDE controllers but why crappify your mobo with useless junk?

It may also be possible to buy an IDE->SATA adaptor for your HD but I've NEVER had good experiences with those. It's best to just buy an SATA HD.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 2, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

Buy a new HD. Stick your IDE CD drives on the IDE controller as God (or your mobo manufacturer) intended.

You can buy PCI IDE controllers but why crappify your mobo with useless junk?

It may also be possible to buy an IDE->SATA adaptor for your HD but I've NEVER had good experiences with those. It's best to just buy an SATA HD.

I agree. SATA is better for numerous reasons: it's faster, most motherboards have 4+ ports -mine has 8- (compared to the 4 IDE ports on the huge majority of motherboards) and of course, the cables are much more user-friendly - they're tinner, easier to connect, and increase air flow in your case.

Then there's also the fact that SATA drives are "plug n play" - you can connect or disconnect them like USB devices. My hard drive even has 2 SATA ports at the back which is great since I can easily hook up someone else's SATA drive this way. Hell, even for laptops this will be a blessing - letting you hook up a normal drive, without needing to have a special laptop hard drive.

Since a new SATA drive costs little, and replacing all those IDE drives with SATA ones would even save you power usage I think it's a win-win situation.