VOGONS

Common searches

Chia cryptocurrency - Mining on HDD and SSD

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 21 of 114, by Cyberdyne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The buble will burst!

And all those "treehuggers" watch this (you also ge a laugh, and maybe a new perspective, we the people do not matter that much):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W33HRc1A6c

Climate will change of course, it has millions of years.

I am aroused about any X86 motherboard that has full functional ISA slot. I think i have problem. Not really into that original (Turbo) XT,286,386 and CGA/EGA stuff. So just a DOS nut.

Reply 23 of 114, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-29, 04:01:

.. a.k.a, when the Sun goes supernova.

The Sun never goes supernova since it's not big enough. It will become a red giant and in the last phase of its life a white dwarf.
I hope other parts of your analysis are more correct than this 😉
https://www.universetoday.com/18847/life-of-the-sun/

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 24 of 114, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'd say instead of pumping money into solar panels that will become literal mountains of waste in just a couple decades, we put that money into preventing forest fires, which produce a ridiculously large amount of CO2 and put fossil fuels to shame.

/thread derailment 😁

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 26 of 114, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-04-29, 04:01:
antrad wrote on 2021-04-28, 21:39:

How about we start using acorns as currency ? Instead of buying computer components and wasting electricity on virtual money, people plant trees which clean up the air and slow down climate change. As stupid as it sounds, it is not worse than what we have now.

Except that "climate change" is a huge hoax and has been ever since it was made up.

that's one hell of a zoom call with all those millions of researchers coordinating the hoax!

but then i think Voodoo card prices are a hoax, yet all those people somehow coordinate to make them stupidly expensive!

We are all just a little puff in the wind.

that can be seen from space, that have radically changed the earths surface in the last 100 years and countless other effects so obvious. to imagine that the effect of humans is roughly equivalent to there being no humans is quite simply absurd, irrespective of whether that is then used to be for or against various climate theories

Us humans couldn't change the climate in any significant way unless say we set off a massive amount of Nukes all at the same time. I'm not even sure that that would be all that long lasting except for the radiation poisoning.

probably not, nuclear explosions low to the ground would throw up lots of dust though, that could diminish the amount of light reaching us and cause some cooling, ironically

The absolute best thing that could be done for cities that have issues with being hotter than they used to be is to get rid of all the black that soaks up heat from the Sun...

that's a good idea, lots of places have white buildings for a good reason. in fact reflecting sunlight is a major part of cooling things down globally, for instance glaciers contribute to this, there is potential for reflectors in space if needed. it would seem that you agree climate, local climate at least, can be changed by human activity

Still would not effect the climate as a whole even if all roads were changed and all roofs were changed.

erm....

The climate is always changing and will always change up until the point that the Earth ceases to exist... a.k.a, when the Sun goes supernova.

now that's something that likely wont happen, not unless someone pumps up the mass of the sun anyway, even if we threw every single SSD and HDD that hopefully strike it rich enthusiasts completely ruined searching for 'chia' into the sun!*

*there, i stuck to the thread, honest!

Reply 27 of 114, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, Chia is supposed to be more "eco-friendly" due to much lower electricity consumption, but the truth is - it won't affect successful cryptos much, which are based on ASIC or GPU. Smaller increase in heat production is still increase. Not to mention wasting energy for a useless goal, in the grand scheme of things.

I'm more concerned that we could expect general increase in server and cloud hosting prices and free stuff going the way of Dodo. Some sites are already harassed by current cryptos, like Github for example. It could get much worse.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 31 of 114, by rmay635703

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

US related metrics are very similar to 1929

Our government appears to be trying to inflate our way out

Most indicators also point to stagflation, current housing market is a prime indicator of stagflation .

Due to the high entry point into housing if we start getting a failure it’s going to be dramatic since the poor can’t be apart of the recovery and in effect it’s like the normal bottom 2/3’s of houses just ceased to exist overnight.

Things need to deflate but no one wants to stop partying since we are flush with government cash to dump into stocks and real estate. Our real economy produces less output, something will eventually move.

In terms of crypto it like stocks and housing is a reflection of people being flush with government cash, once money stops being pumped inflation based growth will cease and stagflation will accelerate

Too bad crypto, stocks and housing have absolutely nothing to do with the real output or jobs in the real economy, out in imagination land for the last decade.

Quite sad that all the legitimate places to invest money no longer exist forcing you to only place money into stocks and houses since every other investment has been made worthless by inflation and lack of return beyond inflation

Stocks only appear to offer a return because 100% of disposable income goes there meaning the stock market just tracks the monetary pool.
Predicting which recent meme gamble is going to occur is hard but fun to play if you don’t loose too much.

Ah well

Reply 33 of 114, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
imi wrote on 2021-04-29, 10:04:

in case this post wasn't utterly sarcastic...
https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

I can't believe there's still people like this... on a computer forum no less... you'd think we'd be kinda scientific here.

Counter point: How many computer users do you know that hold weird illogical superstitions about how their computers work or firmly believe in computing urban legends? 😜

Heck, do you know how many people I've seen asking about water cooling a PC so it will 'heat up their room less'? (As in, loops with radiators all within the computer, nothing bizarre where you pipe the heated water out of the building or something like you see in some enterprise settings) That belief literally undermines the laws of thermodynamics. 😜

Reply 35 of 114, by Standard Def Steve

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow. Never would've thought that my 2.66GHz Pentium M and Radeon X600SE powered file server would be good at any kind of cryptocurrency mining, yet here we are. Crazy.

P6 chip. Triple the speed of the Pentium.
Tualatin: PIII-S @ 1628MHz | QDI Advance 12T | 2GB DDR-310 | 6800GT | X-Fi | 500GB HDD | 3DMark01: 14,059
Dothan: PM @ 2.9GHz | MSI Speedster FA4 | 2GB DDR2-580 | GTX 750Ti | X-Fi | 500GB SSD | 3DMark01: 43,190

Reply 36 of 114, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2021-05-02, 02:39:
imi wrote on 2021-04-29, 10:04:

I can't believe there's still people like this... on a computer forum no less... you'd think we'd be kinda scientific here.

Counter point: How many computer users do you know that hold weird illogical superstitions about how their computers work or firmly believe in computing urban legends? 😜

"This game runs completely indistinguishably on these two different computers, but I neeeeed the one that's 25 years old, the other one doesn't feeeel the same! The graphics output of Voodoo cards is imbued with mystical energies produced exclusively by the 3dfx spirits!"

Reply 37 of 114, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never would've thought that my 2.66GHz Pentium M and Radeon X600SE powered file server would be good at any kind of cryptocurrency mining

It isn't. You need modern multicore CPU and large capacity SSD (480Gb+, preferably NVME) for efficient mining.

The graphics output of Voodoo cards is imbued with mystical energies

It actually does!

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 39 of 114, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:22:

"This game runs completely indistinguishably on these two different computers, but I neeeeed the one that's 25 years old, the other one doesn't feeeel the same! The graphics output of Voodoo cards is imbued with mystical energies produced exclusively by the 3dfx spirits!"

Some people really need to just admit that they're after a specific nostalgic feeling, which is totally fine, but instead try to rationalize it as some kind of technical thing.