VOGONS

Common searches

Retro confessions. What are yours?

Topic actions

Reply 500 of 749, by pixelatedscraps

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) I get more joy out of playing games from the 90s than I do current generation games.

2) I get more excited about tracking down a Voodoo 2 than I do about a 3090 FE.

My ultimate dual 440LX / Voodoo2 SLI build

Reply 501 of 749, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-03-25, 02:24:

1) I get more joy out of playing games from the 90s than I do current generation games.

2) I get more excited about tracking down a Voodoo 2 than I do about a 3090 FE.

This is a retro affirmation not confession 🤣

Reply 503 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pixelatedscraps wrote on 2021-03-25, 02:24:

to some extent this is countered by there being lots of poor games and 'ok' games from that era that might have been worth playing back then but not anymore now

Reply 504 of 749, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hey there,
This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to introduce myself rather than a "help me" first post.

So, I must confess that by browsing many of these threads (' been lurking for a while now...) I realized I don't really have enough love for retro IBM PCs as I thought... I kinda remembered how bulky and heavy and noisy they are and any vague impulse for rebuilding one went down the drain... 😁

If it was an old system I never had, like an Amiga or an old Apple, then yes, totally. But an old PC is not for me anymore... 'been there, 'done that, way too many times.

But don't get me wrong, I do love reading and watching all the work you guys put in them and it truly marvels me what you achieve, and I appreciate that you share the results of all of that with us, lazy software mortals. 😄

Cheers 🍻

Reply 505 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:39:
Hey there, This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to […]
Show full quote

Hey there,
This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to introduce myself rather than a "help me" first post.

So, I must confess that by browsing many of these threads (' been lurking for a while now...) I realized I don't really have enough love for retro IBM PCs as I thought... I kinda remembered how bulky and heavy and noisy they are and any vague impulse for rebuilding one went down the drain... 😁

If it was an old system I never had, like an Amiga or an old Apple, then yes, totally. But an old PC is not for me anymore... 'been there, 'done that, way too many times.

But don't get me wrong, I do love reading and watching all the work you guys put in them and it truly marvels me what you achieve, and I appreciate that you share the results of all of that with us, lazy software mortals. 😄

Cheers 🍻

it's certainly a lot more practical to have one PC dedicated to 'old software'. It could be linux or windows and on that you can have various tools like dosbox, wine, virtual machines, source ports and software specific patches for win32 games that wont run natively, as example

doing that would cover 90+% of the things most people actually want to re-experience. perhaps a retro confession would be the recognition that maintaining loads of old PCs isn't necessary for the purpose of using old software - but i think most of the vogons regulars know that well enough anyway 😀

Reply 506 of 749, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, it is of course much more convenient, but I reckon that keeping, maintaining, refurbishing those old systems is a goal in itself and not a justa a meaning to use old software. And I admit to have some envy for those who have the time and dedication that it takes.

ABD.

Reply 507 of 749, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
gerry wrote on 2021-04-12, 08:09:
AngryByDefault wrote on 2021-04-11, 20:39:
Hey there, This os my very first post here and when I saw this thread I figured it would be nicer to start with a confession to […]
Show full quote

Hey there,

Cheers 🍻

it's certainly a lot more practical to have one PC dedicated to 'old software'. It could be linux or windows and on that you can have various tools like dosbox, wine, virtual machines, source ports and software specific patches for win32 games that wont run natively, as example

doing that would cover 90+% of the things most people actually want to re-experience. perhaps a retro confession would be the recognition that maintaining loads of old PCs isn't necessary for the purpose of using old software - but i think most of the vogons regulars know that well enough anyway 😀

I feel like the distinction between "playing games" and "playing with hardware" is similar to that between "driving cars" and "modifying cars in the garage".

They are very different - though related! - hobbies.

Those who enjoy both, simply have the benefits (and pitfalls!) of both worlds.

Reply 508 of 749, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh, I've got another one, and this one's a biggie:

I think "real-time-with-pause" is awful and there isn't a single game that uses it that I don't think would be unequivocally better if it was purely turn-based.
You've got your real-time RPGs that can at their best be as exciting as action games, and you've got turn-based RPGs that can at their best be as deep as full-on strategy games, but RTWP is just the worst of both worlds. Just extremely clunky and it never feels natural.
Someone come revoke my retro RPG card now, I guess.

Last edited by NovaCN on 2021-05-01, 13:37. Edited 1 time in total.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 510 of 749, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-04-29, 20:46:

There's a turn-based mod for Pillars of Eternity 2. It's a god send !

I've heard! But I'm one of those weirdos who doesn't typically like to play a sequel without playing the previous one(s) first and the lack of that mode in the first game is troublesome.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 511 of 749, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

1990's point-and-click/adventure games are always a dilemma for me. Your Lucasfilm/arts, your Sierra Quests, etc.

In one sense I love them. I spent many many formative hours walking through them as a teen in the 90s. Had a lot of great laughs. Loved the graphics and music. In short, was highly entertained. I still load up Monkey Island 2 several times per year just to hear Woodtick and Scabb Island for half an hour.

But on the other hand, I can't play them now, and generally don't want to.

I can't get over the fact that they all involve constant rote pixel hunting and finicky pasting together of phrases. I hate myself for feeling, that the very notion bores the heck out of me today. Because that feeling wars with the fact that the K.Quests, the S.Quests, the Monkeys, the Tentacles, the Sammaxes - I f'ing loved these things when younger. Perhaps because they were part of an entire experience: being a teen, discovering adult humour while still having full appreciation for the immature stuff, surfing on the cutting edge of society driving forwards into a new age, and all that jazz.

I do realise that any style of gaming could be likewise pigeonholed down into seeming absurdity, so this rant is nothing particularly objective about the genre. It's just a pet annoyance. One which is more-or-less solvable with longplays on Youtube, once I get over the slight niggling irritation that there are retro PCs right behind me which could be playing The Actual Game. You know, the one I don't want to play. :p

Reply 512 of 749, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-08-24, 22:17:

I can't get over the fact that they all involve constant rote pixel hunting and finicky pasting together of phrases.

Some of the more modern games, like the Monkey Island 1&2 Special Edition remasters, or even Simon the Sorcerer 1&2 which came out in the nineties, but a bit later - have the option to highlight the hot spots, to at least solve the technical annoyance of pixel hunting. Even then, some of the solutions seem obtuse and not intuitive at all, which just means the puzzle wasn't that well-designed.

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 513 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-08-24, 22:17:
1990's point-and-click/adventure games are always a dilemma for me. Your Lucasfilm/arts, your Sierra Quests, etc. […]
Show full quote

1990's point-and-click/adventure games are always a dilemma for me. Your Lucasfilm/arts, your Sierra Quests, etc.

In one sense I love them. I spent many many formative hours walking through them as a teen in the 90s. Had a lot of great laughs. Loved the graphics and music. In short, was highly entertained. I still load up Monkey Island 2 several times per year just to hear Woodtick and Scabb Island for half an hour.

But on the other hand, I can't play them now, and generally don't want to.

I can't get over the fact that they all involve constant rote pixel hunting and finicky pasting together of phrases. I hate myself for feeling, that the very notion bores the heck out of me today. Because that feeling wars with the fact that the K.Quests, the S.Quests, the Monkeys, the Tentacles, the Sammaxes - I f'ing loved these things when younger. Perhaps because they were part of an entire experience: being a teen, discovering adult humour while still having full appreciation for the immature stuff, surfing on the cutting edge of society driving forwards into a new age, and all that jazz.

I do realise that any style of gaming could be likewise pigeonholed down into seeming absurdity, so this rant is nothing particularly objective about the genre. It's just a pet annoyance. One which is more-or-less solvable with longplays on Youtube, once I get over the slight niggling irritation that there are retro PCs right behind me which could be playing The Actual Game. You know, the one I don't want to play. :p

I used to love point and click adventures too, but I can somewhat see how people used to more modern games wouldn't like them. There are dozens of things from the 80's and 90's I used to love but I don't want to actively deal with anymore. Technology and society change.

Do not read if you don't like attention seeking self-advertisements!

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:
https://github.com/peterswinkels

Reply 514 of 749, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I feel bad taking apart old systems and replace any parts. For this reason I have a hard time buying a old case for my SS7 because they usually come with a working system. >.<

Reply 515 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@joakim:
Are the parts you replace broken? Do the new parts generally improve the system?

Did you read it anyway? Well, you can find all sorts of stuff I made using various programming languages over here:

Reply 516 of 749, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Peter Swinkels wrote on 2021-08-26, 08:17:

@joakim:
Are the parts you replace broken? Do the new parts generally improve the system?

I have the same "problem". Replacing broken parts is not the issue. It's keeping it "factory original" if possible. That PC is one package.
Like my PIII build. It was a prebuilt P4 with a motherboard manual sticker inside the case. I really considered just upgrading that with a video and sound card. It'd have about 25% more CPU power, but it was loud and hot so I gave up and went with the original plan.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 517 of 749, by Peter Swinkels

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't get it, why would you tinker with a pc you want to keep factory original unless it's broken?

Reply 518 of 749, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joakim wrote on 2021-08-25, 08:59:

I feel bad taking apart old systems and replace any parts. For this reason I have a hard time buying a old case for my SS7 because they usually come with a working system. >.<

ah! similar with me too, for me it's that if I get a working system then i might update components or replace hdd or something, but while there is a working motherboard & cpu in there it somehow seems wrong to take it out!

Reply 519 of 749, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't need more computers. I need empty cases but they are rarely sold empty. I have no problems throwing away broken parts but often the system is working fine as is and then I go like.. hmm... Maybe I'll keep it as is..