VOGONS

First post, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I know, weirdly-phrased question. Let me explain.

So, I've been doing some OCing on Socket A as of late for "fun" on my Abit NF7-S v2.0, starting with Barton Athlon XPs and working my way back to OG Athlons. I'm now at the OG Athlons, specifically first with the 1400C, and finally I'll do the Duron 950. As should be known, these Athlons don't support SSE. Now, I use Cinebench 2003 in the OCing process, and I'm keen on getting the CPU score from the benchmark. However, every time I go to open the benchmark, the system crashes. I know that CB2003 doesn't need SSE to run, as I know from running it on my dual PPro testbench.

Now, a friend has tipped me off saying that with the latest Nvidia drivers for my GT 6200A, CB2003, because of its OpenGL tests, will call for things that require SSE support from the GPU driver, and well, as you can guess, that doesn't go so well. He said that drivers 77.72 and before do not have such issues, as whatever OpenGL stuff being called doesn't require SSE. However, he stated he did manage to get the program to work with the latest drivers, but forgot exactly how.

Now, I can just remove the latest Nvidia GPU drivers and use the older one, and problem solved. However, it would be nice to learn how exactly I can use later drivers and just "disable" the OpenGL portion of the program. If anyone knows how exactly I can accomplish this, please let me know. Thanks!

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png

Reply 1 of 2, by bakemono

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Short of going in with a debugger and identifying the exact code path that crashes, I'm thinking that one solution might be to drop an OPENGL32.DLL from a software renderer into the cinebench directory so that the nvidia opengl doesn't get called. Search for DarkGL and give that a try.

again another retro game on itch: https://90soft90.itch.io/shmup-salad

Reply 2 of 2, by ultra_code

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sorry for the late replay.

bakemono wrote on 2021-04-30, 23:54:

Short of going in with a debugger and identifying the exact code path that crashes, I'm thinking that one solution might be to drop an OPENGL32.DLL from a software renderer into the cinebench directory so that the nvidia opengl doesn't get called. Search for DarkGL and give that a try.

Found it (http://users.atw.hu/darkgl/index.html). I threw the Windows .dll file into the directory with the CB2003 executable, and...
GgYx9Ca.png
it worked! Thanks! Now I can finally finish OCing Socket A as a platform, and move on to other projects.

Builds
ttgwnt-6.png
kcxlg9-6.png