VOGONS

First post, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

To preface my question: a physical CD (Mega Pak edition) of the game is on the way, but I am currently trying this with an image of that same disc from Archive.org, as well as a download from Abandonia, so technically I don't own the game yet (though I do for CD32 if that counts...). Anyway:

Is there supposed to be music during gameplay? I have the game set to soundblaster with 'sleepwalker.exe +S' (tried Adlib as well), and I do have music during the intro, but only sound effects during gameplay. There are let's plays on YouTube of the DOS version that *do* have music though, and there are several .mod files in the game folder hinting that there should be.

Am I missing something, or is there specific configuration of DosBox required?

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If we're both looking at the same YT video, FUNKLUL.MOD (funk_lullaby) seems to play as BGM on the first level, and only the first level is shown. However, according to the code of the CD version that module only plays over the ending animation when you complete the game. A longplay video on the Amiga that I looked at has no BGM, and the music in question plays over the ending animation. Not decisive evidence, but very suggestive. It's possible there is some other version of the game that does play BGM... or maybe the author of the YT video took some creative license and added BGM in post-production. 😉

While looking at the game code I learned some interesting command line parameters: -I skips the intro, +KD&S displays something from the game developers during the intro.

BTW, you'll need to use the machine=vgaonly setting for water areas to display correctly.

Reply 2 of 2, by sndwv

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the reply! Yes, that's probably the same video as that is indeed the song I was expecting to hear.

I received my original CD in the meantime and it's exactly the same copy Archive.org has. Also gave a couple of 'abandonware' downloads of the floppy version a try and they're all the same, though the one from Abandonia does come with an additional SLEEP.RNC file my CD copy does not have- not sure what that does. But until an alternate version surfaces I think it's safe to chalk it up to creative license of the YouTuber.

The CD32-version does have in-game music by the way, but that is redbook audio.

And nice find of the +KD&S parameter 😀