VOGONS

First post, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

I have a problem that whenever I try to install my Matrox millennium II Drivers, the next time it boots the display will glitch inside windows. You can only see the wallpaper clearly but the menus and icons and right click pop up menus look glitched. In a few seconds the computer will hang, or at least I think it is. You can only move the mouse.

My motherboard is a Chaintech 5RSA2-A2. I have an ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP 2X installed and the Matrox Millenium II on the first PCI slot. The second PCI slot is occupied by a US robotic 5416 wireless adapter. I am not sure if this is causing conflict. I read something about IRQ's but I have no idea how to troubleshoot this. I tried playing around with disabling COMs and LPTs, and the PCI Wireless card and the next time booting up the display with the Matrox card would look even worse than before.

Right now the only card working without issues is my 3D Rage Pro.

On Windows 2000 the Millenium II card works fine. Granted, I did not install any other drivers. I eventually gave up on Windows 2000 and went back to Windows 98 because for some reason it was really slow.

Please help. Thank you.

Reply 2 of 7, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-04-30, 18:30:

Is installing two graphics cards, one in AGP and one in PCI causing this problem? Is it a problem with the PCI slot I am using?

Could very well be resource problems.
Its common for the AGP port to share IRQ with PCI slot 1.

Reply 3 of 7, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-04-30, 20:29:
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-04-30, 18:30:

Is installing two graphics cards, one in AGP and one in PCI causing this problem? Is it a problem with the PCI slot I am using?

Could very well be resource problems.
Its common for the AGP port to share IRQ with PCI slot 1.

So the solution would be to switch the wireless card over to the 1st slot (top) and the Matrox card to the second slot?

When I go to the resource tab to check on the IRQ given to the ATI card (AGP), I dont see the entry for Interrupt Request. The Matrox card sometimes are given 11 and sometimes 3. The 3 is given also to my wireless PCI card and the COM ports. Please excuse my ignorance in this topic. I never knew about IRQs until now.

Reply 4 of 7, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

In the Chaintech 5RSA2 motherboard I can see that IRQs 5,9,10,11 are free to use. 5 is already occupied by the onboard ESS Solo1 sound card that I know for sure. Is there a quick way to see IRQ conflicts or a list of what IRQs are assigned to what device instead of going one by one in the device manager?

Reply 5 of 7, by bofh.fromhell

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-05-01, 00:57:

In the Chaintech 5RSA2 motherboard I can see that IRQs 5,9,10,11 are free to use. 5 is already occupied by the onboard ESS Solo1 sound card that I know for sure. Is there a quick way to see IRQ conflicts or a list of what IRQs are assigned to what device instead of going one by one in the device manager?

Not entirely sure how the PnP magic works.
But IIRC the devices should be able to share an IRQ.
Then again some graphics cards are "special" and don't like to share.
And the IRQ's are somehow bound to different slots on the motherboards.
Or rather some slots share IRQ lanes with others, and some might not get an IRQ at all.
This means that while you can set the IRQ for a slot in the BIOS, whatever other slot that's bound to it will also change IRQ.
And this also means that hardware which doesn't like to share resources will have to be kept in certain slots.

Some motherboards have a table of the sharing in the manual, but I couldn't find it for your 5RSA2.
For instance the ASUS P3B-F looks like this:

rw3hLmM.gif

Programs like PCI-list can be helpful when you are chasing resources:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html

Not saying this is guaranteed to be your problem.
I mean it could just be flakey hardware =)

Reply 6 of 7, by FXing Serious

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
bofh.fromhell wrote on 2021-05-01, 03:09:
Not entirely sure how the PnP magic works. But IIRC the devices should be able to share an IRQ. Then again some graphics cards a […]
Show full quote
FXing Serious wrote on 2021-05-01, 00:57:

Not entirely sure how the PnP magic works.
But IIRC the devices should be able to share an IRQ.
Then again some graphics cards are "special" and don't like to share.
And the IRQ's are somehow bound to different slots on the motherboards.
Or rather some slots share IRQ lanes with others, and some might not get an IRQ at all.
This means that while you can set the IRQ for a slot in the BIOS, whatever other slot that's bound to it will also change IRQ.
And this also means that hardware which doesn't like to share resources will have to be kept in certain slots.

Some motherboards have a table of the sharing in the manual, but I couldn't find it for your 5RSA2.
For instance the ASUS P3B-F looks like this:

rw3hLmM.gif

Programs like PCI-list can be helpful when you are chasing resources:
https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/pci_list.html

Not saying this is guaranteed to be your problem.
I mean it could just be flakey hardware =)

I move the wireless card to the top pci slot and the matrox to the last slot. No difference.. still does it.

Playing around with the bios I can get different results. Sometimes it will crash login into windows... Sometimes you can see the wallpaper and the user login box completely without issues but once you login all hell breaks lose again.

Going to safe mode I can see the mode, the wireless card, the COMs and the Matrox being assigned to the same IRQ. I don't see an IRQ vale on AGP but other values are almost identical to Matrox.

Disablingthe hardware in question doesnt make anything better. Is this a problem with Windows 98? The matrox card works fine on Win2k.

Attachments