VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does someone know if Black Mirror 1 (from Steam) is actually supposed to be software-rendered? I'm running on Windows 10 64-bit, and I'm only getting what appears to be software rendering, either when running it vanilla or with dgVoodoo2. Perf is rather slow and the 3D characters have pixelated textures (no bilinear texture filtering,) suggesting it's software rasterized.

Is this actually how it's supposed to be?

Reply 3 of 6, by Dancsi40

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try this one : https://www.gog.com/forum/general/ddraw ... pper/page1
It's for games using DirectX versions 1 to 7. That includes some older Direct3D renderers.

I used the file with Nocturne and solved the problem with intro video not rendering + get higher resolutions because dgVoodoo 2's ddraw.dll file is not compatible yet with GDI

Reply 4 of 6, by K1n9_Duk3

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Black Mirror 1 consists entirely of pre-rendered content. The "3D" characters you see in the game are all bitmap graphics, drawn as sprites. The dev's next game Ni.Bi.Ru. added realtime 3D characters, but Black Mirror didn't have that. Since everything is pre-rendered for a fixed resolution and there is no 3D geometry, anti-aliasing won't work in this game. Same for texture filtering: The only thing that might use and benefit from texture filtering would be scaling the pre-rendered character sprites. I think the player character is the only sprite that might have any scaling applied to it. The other characters just walk a predefined path or stay at a fixed position, so they probably just use the pre-rendered sprite bitmaps without any scaling applied to them.

I once wrote a tool to export all of the games graphics, that's how I learned that it's all just bitmaps (as in .BMP files). I never published my tool, but if you look online, you might find other tools that let you extract the data.

Reply 5 of 6, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
K1n9_Duk3 wrote on 2021-05-01, 21:34:

Black Mirror 1 consists entirely of pre-rendered content. The "3D" characters you see in the game are all bitmap graphics, drawn as sprites. The dev's next game Ni.Bi.Ru. added realtime 3D characters, but Black Mirror didn't have that. Since everything is pre-rendered for a fixed resolution and there is no 3D geometry, anti-aliasing won't work in this game. Same for texture filtering: The only thing that might use and benefit from texture filtering would be scaling the pre-rendered character sprites. I think the player character is the only sprite that might have any scaling applied to it. The other characters just walk a predefined path or stay at a fixed position, so they probably just use the pre-rendered sprite bitmaps without any scaling applied to them.

I once wrote a tool to export all of the games graphics, that's how I learned that it's all just bitmaps (as in .BMP files). I never published my tool, but if you look online, you might find other tools that let you extract the data.

Thank you! That explains it. The game just looks like it does the "3D characters on 2D pre-rendered backgrounds" thing at first, like other games did during that era. But it only emulates that look without actually doing it.

Reply 6 of 6, by BardBun

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You might still want to check out this here:
https://community.pcgamingwiki.com/files/file … er-fonts-patch/

For BM 2 and 3, once you install the fan patch, go to thje "...documents/blackmirror" folder and open the config.xml, scroll down to "Localization Language=X" and change the X to your desired language in lower case english (english, german, french, italian, spanish, czech, polish)

Also if Black Mirror doesn't start or seems to crash, open the games folder and in the setup, change from YUV to RGB.