VOGONS

First post, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello to all,

I would like to rebuild a pc for a dual boot win 7/win xp.
And I would like to have your opinion on the configuration that I would like to do.

The goal is to use it as an acquisition pc to stream my old consoles and my current pc as well as the compatibility for retro- early 2000s and late 90s.

Computer:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Ram: 16Go

Reply 2 of 12, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to have a pc dedicated to video capture and streaming, my recent pc is for work and I don't want to overload it with more software. Especially since they are side by side and this will allow me to stream my modern PC directly to it and thus have all its power to play.

I don't expect to have an excellent result but it seems to me that the configuration of the win7 / xp pc is sufficient for what I want to stream.

I already have the capture cards for my consoles and my computer

But can I be totally wrong, is this the right solution?

In order not to have software problems for streaming, I can put win 10 on it instead of win7, I think there will be enough under the hood?

(I have 2 other PCs to remount to have a better compatibility for retro games)

Reply 4 of 12, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yes, I have an old card that works on xp and the other on 7. these are old s-video and composante capture cards.

I prefer to use this old equipment to recover the original signal rather than having to go through a converter and use an hdmi acquisition card.

But, I risk having to switch to win 10 if I want to use obs studio or an equivalent.

Reply 7 of 12, by brian105

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There's no reason to not use SP3 on newer hardware. SP2 introduces overhead on older hardware, but it's not gonna be noticeable on Phenom 2's.

Presario 5284: K6-2+ 550 ACZ @ 600 2v, 256MB PC133, GeForce4 MX 440SE 64MB, MVP3, Maxtor SATA/150 PCI card, 16GB Sandisk U100 SATA SSD
2007 Desktop: Athlon 64 X2 6000+, Asus M2v-MX SE, Foxconn 7950GT 512mb, 4GB DDR2 800, Audigy 2 ZS, WinME/XP

Reply 9 of 12, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niark42 wrote on 2021-05-01, 14:30:
Hello to all, […]
Show full quote

Hello to all,

I would like to rebuild a pc for a dual boot win 7/win xp.
And I would like to have your opinion on the configuration that I would like to do.

The goal is to use it as an acquisition pc to stream my old consoles and my current pc as well as the compatibility for retro- early 2000s and late 90s.

Computer:
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GTX
Ram: 16Go

Nothing wrong with the build, but I think you are leaving quite a bit of performance on the table by pairing the Phenom X4 with a 7900GTX. Might consider something like a GTX 750 or a HD6750 or something.
But if that is what you have on hand I totally understand that as well, GPU's being priced what they are these days......

Reply 10 of 12, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for your opinion on the config, I thought the 7900 GTX was the best fully xp compatible graphics card.

If the gtx1050 can work I have one that I can use (its hdmi port is hs but it still works in DVI) and I have the ATI Radeon HD3850.

In the 3 graphics card, I have selected the 7900 GTX being the last DirectX 9 compatible and having read that win xp handle it a lot.

Reply 11 of 12, by Jasin Natael

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Niark42 wrote on 2021-05-03, 21:14:

Thanks for your opinion on the config, I thought the 7900 GTX was the best fully xp compatible graphics card.

If the gtx1050 can work I have one that I can use (its hdmi port is hs but it still works in DVI) and I have the ATI Radeon HD3850.

In the 3 graphics card, I have selected the 7900 GTX being the last DirectX 9 compatible and having read that win xp handle it a lot.

I don't think that any of the 1000 series cards are supported by XP. But anything up the 900 series cards should be supported. The 7900 is a great choice support wise, it just leaves some performance on the table in regards to that CPU.

But if plays the titles fine then don't sweat it.

Reply 12 of 12, by Niark42

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Super that reassures me.
I took this processor mainly for streaming. I don't need all of its power to play my old games

I have a newer and more powerful computer for current games this one. Is rather a whim to play on original support to my old ones.

I will now move on t to mounting a win xp win 98 pc to have access to older games.