VOGONS

First post, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Supposedly, a 1994 ECTS (European Computer Trade Show) DOS demo was found of a long lost cancelled game called "Iron Angel". The download is in the comments section of Unseen64 here. Scanned it for viruses first of course. Came out clean. Then tried to run it via the ECTS.bat file which seems to have all the exe files in a list. All of them produce the same result in DOSBox. The result, for me, is just a grey screen. I've tried various conf settings with no luck. From the layout of the bat file it looks to me like a non-interactive rolling demo that loops. Either way, if legit, it's an interesting find. I don't have a real DOS machine to test this on currently and DOSBox seems to hate it so I was wondering if anyone else would be willing to give it a try and post their results here.

Reply 1 of 2, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

It must be in a directory named IANGEL off the root or you will get the grey screen result. The zip file has the necessary directory structure if you extract it, so just make sure you mount correctly -- i.e. don't mount the IANGEL folder as root, mount the folder below it as root. I suggest core=dynamic cycles=max for this demo.

Reply 2 of 2, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:13:

It must be in a directory named IANGEL off the root or you will get the grey screen result. The zip file has the necessary directory structure if you extract it, so just make sure you mount correctly -- i.e. don't mount the IANGEL folder as root, mount the folder below it as root. I suggest core=dynamic cycles=max for this demo.

Fantastic! Thanks for your help. Wow, this apparently is all that remains of this game. Too bad it's a non-interactive loop, but still a great find for preservation. Thanks again!

Edit: I did notice I have to manually up the cpu cycles a bit to get it smooth as "auto" sets it too low.