VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Vits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello everyone,

I would like to ask you all if the ms-dos pc emulation of DOSBOX is good enough for programming for ms-dos in languages like Quick Basic. I'm asking this because I was thinking about using an actual old PC for games and retro coding, however I would rather not make room for it in my house. I'm well aware that DOSBOX is great for games but is it just as good for retro coding? If so then I will recycle the old pc, if it is not good for coding though I would like to understand the reasons why... If it helps the language I like to use the most for ms-dos is Quick Basic, but I also plan on getting into x86 assembly.

Thank you all for your time and long live ms-dos

EDIT: I mostly like to program game and graphics related stuff if this helps to...

Reply 2 of 5, by Vits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_Rob wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:44:

DOSBox is really only for running games. If you want to run DOS applications like a compiler your probably better using DOSBox-X.

Ok thanks... You know I actually been using DOSbox-X for a few days now for the first time and I must say it seems pretty good for my needs. So I suppose I don't need an old computer and can just use my current modern setup.

If anyone one has any different point of views I'd love to hear them, otherwise feel free to end this thread if need be. Thanks again!

Reply 4 of 5, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Vits wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:12:

If it helps the language I like to use the most for ms-dos is Quick Basic

If you like QuickBasic, why not use QB64 or FreeBasic instead of tying yourself down to an outdated OS? They both support QuickBasic syntax.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-02, 19:17:

I would also look at PCem or UniPCEM.

I presume you mean UniPCEmu.

Reply 5 of 5, by Vits

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote on 2021-05-02, 19:30:
If you like QuickBasic, why not use QB64 or FreeBasic instead of tying yourself down to an outdated OS? They both support Quick […]
Show full quote
Vits wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:12:

If it helps the language I like to use the most for ms-dos is Quick Basic

If you like QuickBasic, why not use QB64 or FreeBasic instead of tying yourself down to an outdated OS? They both support QuickBasic syntax.

mothergoose729 wrote on 2021-05-02, 19:17:

I would also look at PCem or UniPCEM.

I presume you mean UniPCEmu.

I actually do use qb64 to but sometimes I go back to the old school Quick Basic just for fun (:
PCem seems great to...