VOGONS

TNT2 Proi

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So ran across a Dell OEM TNT2 Pro, that still works. You guys think this is worth hanging onto?

As well as Dell Radeon 7500 and HP MX420

the TNT2 Pro has only 16mb of ram instead of 32mb, not sure how that will affect its usefullness, havn't hooked it into a computer yet to see what the bus width is, but it has 4 ram chips so I'm thinking 128bit

Reply 1 of 8, by jade_angel

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For the various sorts of machines where a TNT2 Pro is useful, it's a decent choice. I'd probably hang onto it.

Main Box: Macbook Pro M2 Max
Alas, I'm down to emulation.

Reply 2 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
jade_angel wrote:

For the various sorts of machines where a TNT2 Pro is useful, it's a decent choice. I'd probably hang onto it.

Same here. It won't really take up that much space anyway and if you end up with no space somewhere down the road, you could always opt to toss it later 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 3 of 8, by kanecvr

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
candle_86 wrote:

So ran across a Dell OEM TNT2 Pro, that still works. You guys think this is worth hanging onto?

As well as Dell Radeon 7500 and HP MX420

the TNT2 Pro has only 16mb of ram instead of 32mb, not sure how that will affect its usefullness, havn't hooked it into a computer yet to see what the bus width is, but it has 4 ram chips so I'm thinking 128bit

The OEM TNT2 Pro is allright. On the other hand, if the Dell 7500 is the version with only one or two vram chips then it's garbage. It runs of a 32 or 64 bit bus so it's severly crippled. In fact if I remember correctly it's actually a Radeon VE core, not a real 7500 and will perform like crap - slower then a TNT2 in some cases. Stick it in a machine to make sure.

The MX420 is... crap. If memory serves it uses a 64 bit memory bus, slow vram and low core clock. Garbage. Only worth keeping if you want the full GF4 MX lineup. Performance-wise it's on par with a GF2 MX400. There are a few 128 bit MX420 cards but they are quite rare as most are 64 bit. It's worth checking. If it's a 128 bit card then it's worth keeping.

Reply 4 of 8, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello, I have this (probably) OEM TNT2 Pro. At least, according code on internet, should be TnT2 Pro.
Can someone identify, what OEM brand it was used in (maybe Compaq computers? )

Is the card exactly same fast at same speed as TNT2 or TNT2 Ultra? I mean when I set core and memory speed at same speed? I want to use one card for benchmark all 3 versions of TNT2 (TNT2, TNT2 Pro, TNT2 Ultra) but they are too expensive to have all 3 of them, so I was thinking about getting cheap OEM TNT2 Pro, and in benchmarks, set speed to TNT2 and TNT2 Ultra speed, to get same result and use it as benchmark result. Not sure if it differ somehow on same clocks as core had been obviously shrunk and maybe had also revision changes?

Also, any comments about this version of TNT2 Pro? Is it same good as non-OEM? Anyone has same card and experiences? Will it handle overclock of Ultra speeds? (so 183 Mhz memory clock)

Attachments

• TNT2 Pro OEM.jpg
    Filename
    TNT2 Pro OEM.jpg
    File size
    671.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • TNT2 Pro OEM 2.jpg
    Filename
    TNT2 Pro OEM 2.jpg
    File size
    662.26 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 8, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The CPQ on one label and NVidia part number on the board (alongside FCC and CE logos) indicate it is a reference card that was used by Compaq. So it could be seen as both a reference card and an OEM board, although not designed and built by the OEM.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 8, by Putas

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
W.x. wrote on 2021-05-02, 21:40:

Is the card exactly same fast at same speed as TNT2 or TNT2 Ultra? I mean when I set core and memory speed at same speed?

Yes.

128 bit SGRAM likely with some oc headroom as well. Seen this memory Voodoo3, 183 MHz might be too high. Good card.

Reply 8 of 8, by W.x.

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you for replies. Seems, TNT2 Pro is then better choice to keep, as it draws least power from AGP slot, as it has smaller core. But it's only my assumption. But speedwise, should be the same. I would like to test it, to confirm it, but cannot find TNT2 and TNT2 Ultra for cheap. I guess, Pro is cheapest and most common variant, so I'll keep this one, and will not searching for other ones.