VOGONS

First post, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I have a Sound Blaster AWE 64 (not Gold) CT4520 on my Pentium II retro-pc (mainboard ASUS P2B-F) that is perfectly working in WINDOWS 98 SE.

For DOS-MODE I followed this great tutorial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZiSM5pUGab4

...but I get serious issues with music (hanging notes, freezes) using CTMIDI-A.DRV.
With CTMIDI-S.DRV everything seems OK (I've renamed the files each time of course) but it's like a plain SB16, and there is no AWE32 test option in DIAGNOSE.

I checked if have one of those "fake" AWE64 mentioned here in the forums, however by inspecting the board I don't notice missing chips and the AWE64 logo is clearly visible on the PCB.

Any suggestions?
Thank you!

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 1 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For the CT4520 I would suggest a simpler approach:

1. Uninstall any drivers that you currently have and remove any entries that you may have manually added to autoexec.bat, config.sys and dosstart.bat
2. Download the AWE64 Value driver CD and install it (be sure to select the AWE Control Panel component)
3. Download sbw9xup.exe from Creative's website and use it to update the drivers

With that, you get a fully functional card under Win98 as well as when using the "Restart in MS-DOS mode" shutdown option. Any parameters (IRQ, DMA etc.) that you set in Device Manager under Windows will be automatically passed on to DOS mode.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 4, by Scandy

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you so much for your kind feedback, but the problem it seems gone now.
I don't know what I changed, but I tried last night and everything seems to be working fine!

Another question: excluding bloatware, what's the "essential" software to set-up the card under windows? May I use mixerset (DOS based) or there's something better?
Thanks!

THE NIGHTLAND is my board + video game for Commodore 64.

Reply 3 of 4, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The AWE Control Panel is the only essential bit of software that you need under Win98. It's used to load soundfonts, switch between GS, GM and MT32 modes, and enable/disable MPU-401 in case you want to connect an external MIDI module.

Everything else is optional.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi