Topic actions

Reply 2981 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2021-05-03, 15:12:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-03, 07:38:

I don't remember that, but I remember our biology department installing a game on computer lab PCs that was about evolution, you would combine different kinds of creatures to suit a habitat and see if they lived or died.. Or something.. Now I'm curious what it was.

I think I know which game you are talking about. I believe I had a boxed copy of that many moons ago. It was similar to Biosphere on the TRS-80. The one I'm thinking of is not SimLife either. MS-DOS? Correct? Man, now it's going to drive me crazy.

Yes, I think so. I want to say it was called Darwin's Island but I may be completely wrong..

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 2982 of 5933, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-03, 16:03:
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-03, 07:38:

I don't remember that, but I remember our biology department installing a game on computer lab PCs that was about evolution, you would combine different kinds of creatures to suit a habitat and see if they lived or died.. Or something.. Now I'm curious what it was.

I think I know which game you are talking about. I believe I had a boxed copy of that many moons ago. It was similar to Biosphere on the TRS-80. The one I'm thinking of is not SimLife either. MS-DOS? Correct? Man, now it's going to drive me crazy.

Yes, I think so. I want to say it was called Darwin's Island but I may be completely wrong..

Found it. I used to have a boxed copy of this too. Like an idiot, I threw out the game decades ago. May not be your game, but the one I remember playing.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/unnatural-selection

Edit: How odd. Completely different plot and theme than i remember when I was younger. Nothing like Biosphere really. 🤣

Could this be the game you're thinking of? >> https://youtu.be/fGrRYeyyYhc

Reply 2983 of 5933, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So I was digging around my hard drives and found something that keeps calling my name back lately - Street Fighting Man! This game is hilarious. Basically some big 1970's macho-man stereotype named Nick runs around beating gangs up to save his girlfriend - with a status counter that says "Nick Is A Wuss" "Nick is Cool" "Nick is Macho"....🤣. I NEED to post myself playing this on YouTube.....it's utterly hilarious.

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 2984 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
liqmat wrote on 2021-05-03, 16:12:
Found it. I used to have a boxed copy of this too. Like an idiot, I threw out the game decades ago. May not be your game, but th […]
Show full quote
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-03, 16:03:

Found it. I used to have a boxed copy of this too. Like an idiot, I threw out the game decades ago. May not be your game, but the one I remember playing.

https://www.mobygames.com/game/dos/unnatural-selection

Edit: How odd. Completely different plot and theme than i remember when I was younger. Nothing like Biosphere really. 🤣

Could this be the game you're thinking of? >> https://youtu.be/fGrRYeyyYhc

Not what I was thinking about.. Now I am going crazy 🤣

Reply 2985 of 5933, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Legend of Kyrandia (1) first game I play for real on my first retro machine ss7.

Short review so far with grown up eyes, acting is quite bad, music is pretty bad (better with mt-32 maybe?), graphics are fine, story good and gameplay very nice. Puzzles are not as stupid as monkey Island. I just got to the cave and I realized why me and my brother made maps. 😀

Reply 2986 of 5933, by BetaC

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I am about to reach Ace Combat 7, following a playthrough of all of the numbered games in the series. I do find myself enjoying the PS1 games the more I play them, especially with the Japanese version of Ace Combat 3.

ph4ne7-99.png
g32zpm-99.png
0zuv7q-6.png
7y1bp7-6.png

Reply 2987 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joakim wrote on 2021-05-03, 18:11:

Legend of Kyrandia (1) first game I play for real on my first retro machine ss7.

Short review so far with grown up eyes, acting is quite bad, music is pretty bad (better with mt-32 maybe?), graphics are fine, story good and gameplay very nice. Puzzles are not as stupid as monkey Island. I just got to the cave and I realized why me and my brother made maps. 😀

The Kyrandia series gets INFINITELY better with the sequels. Hand of Fate is one of my all time favorite adventure games.

Westwood perfected adventure gaming with Blade Runner.

Reply 2988 of 5933, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've only delved an hour or two into Hand of Fate so far. It's one I'm going to revisit in the future when I have time, as what I saw was really cool. More quirky and creative than the Sierra games, along with a certain painstakingly hand-drawn and hand-composed aesthetic which pretty much tops it's class for the period, is really impressive and shows the world-class level of production the world would come to know better in later Westwood titles. I would have had a massive crush on the main character, had I played it as a teen. Especially compared with the boring old-fashioned "fairy-tale princess" template that virtually every other female video game character of the time fitted.

For now I'm doing Zelda for the first time, as mentioned in passing earlier.

I was going to eschew everything else and simply play the so-touted "one of the best gaming experiences ever created" - Breath of the Wild - but after 30 minutes of being extremely impressed, I encountered a fatal crashing glitch on my Wii U setup, with the Google wisdom being that this happens to quite a few people around the world (*a tiny percentage of millions sold, still = many dozens of same-complaints tucked into various niches of the internet) under various circumstances, adding up to the conclusion "this is an extremely demanding game upon the system, and if you're on an older console or if anything at all isn't quite standard, then your chances of glitches go exponential, with no obvious fix other than Try It All Again or Get A New Console". I suspect I'll end up simply CEMU'ing it.

But that whole annoyance semi-forced me to reconsider earlier games in the series. A good move, as it turns out. I have now embarked upon Wind Waker HD, and a couple of hours into it, I am quite enthralled. Quite spectacular and a lot of fun. There's a lot more to it than my uninformed-self had expected. It looks like I will be busy with these for some time, and very happy about it!

Reply 2989 of 5933, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-05-04, 00:12:
I've only delved an hour or two into Hand of Fate so far. It's one I'm going to revisit in the future when I have time, as what […]
Show full quote

I've only delved an hour or two into Hand of Fate so far. It's one I'm going to revisit in the future when I have time, as what I saw was really cool. More quirky and creative than the Sierra games, along with a certain painstakingly hand-drawn and hand-composed aesthetic which pretty much tops it's class for the period, is really impressive and shows the world-class level of production the world would come to know better in later Westwood titles. I would have had a massive crush on the main character, had I played it as a teen. Especially compared with the boring old-fashioned "fairy-tale princess" template that virtually every other female video game character of the time fitted.

For now I'm doing Zelda for the first time, as mentioned in passing earlier.

I was going to eschew everything else and simply play the so-touted "one of the best gaming experiences ever created" - Breath of the Wild - but after 30 minutes of being extremely impressed, I encountered a fatal crashing glitch on my Wii U setup, with the Google wisdom being that this happens to quite a few people around the world (*a tiny percentage of millions sold, still = many dozens of same-complaints tucked into various niches of the internet) under various circumstances, adding up to the conclusion "this is an extremely demanding game upon the system, and if you're on an older console or if anything at all isn't quite standard, then your chances of glitches go exponential, with no obvious fix other than Try It All Again or Get A New Console". I suspect I'll end up simply CEMU'ing it.

But that whole annoyance semi-forced me to reconsider earlier games in the series. A good move, as it turns out. I have now embarked upon Wind Waker HD, and a couple of hours into it, I am quite enthralled. Quite spectacular and a lot of fun. There's a lot more to it than my uninformed-self had expected. It looks like I will be busy with these for some time, and very happy about it!

I love the Zelda series. I have played everyone except the one where you have wings.. I have not finished them all though as they are all quite long and I have a bad habit of getting bored at the end of games. Then it's hard to get back into it after having a long break..

O and yeah I used to have a collector's edition of all Kyrandia games. I think hand of Fate was best.

Reply 2990 of 5933, by GoblinUpTheRoad

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I just got to the cave and I realized why me and my brother made maps. 😀

I think the cave is where I got stuck when I tried to play through it a few years back. I really want to play Hand of Fate too, but will make myself play them in order.

Reply 2991 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
GoblinUpTheRoad wrote on 2021-05-04, 07:08:

I just got to the cave and I realized why me and my brother made maps. 😀

I think the cave is where I got stuck when I tried to play through it a few years back. I really want to play Hand of Fate too, but will make myself play them in order.

The first and second games have very little connection if at all any. The third is more like a direct sequel. You can enjoy Hand of Fate without playing Book 1, and you probably should. Book 1 is a quite.. poor game.

Also, if you like fantasy setting adventure games, also give Dragonsphere a try. It has a plot twist that blew my thirteen year old mind.

Reply 2992 of 5933, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-04, 07:51:

Also, if you like fantasy setting adventure games, also give Dragonsphere a try. It has a plot twist that blew my thirteen year old mind.

Interesting, I have never heard of Dragonsphere, I will check it out.

An other game I loved as a kid was Curse of Enchantia by Core Design. I think I only ever played it on Amiga 500 though.

Reply 2993 of 5933, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-05-04, 00:12:

An excellent choice! Even all these years later, Wind Waker is still my favorite in the series. Great sense of adventure granted by the sailing, the colorful aesthetic and expressive character animation haven't aged a day in almost 20 years now, and there's a surprisingly resonant story with some serious themes when you scratch the surface (the significance of legacy and who is allowed to inherit it, the dangers of toxic nostalgia, and the need to entrust the future to the next generation).
I wasn't really equipped to grok some of the deeper meaning there when I first played as a dumb ten-year-old upon original release, but when I played the HD version as an adult, it was an eye-opening experience. Brilliant game (Twilight Princess is very good too, but it doesn't hold up quite as well, in my opinion).

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 2994 of 5933, by Dimitris1980

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hoyle Classic Card Games on my Macintosh LC475.

Attachments

- Macintosh LC475, Powerbook 540c, Macintosh Performa 6116CD, Power Macintosh G3 Minitower (x2), Imac G3, Powermac G4 MDD, Powermac G5, Imac Mid 2007
- Cyrix 120
- Amiga 500, Amiga 1200
- Atari 1040 STF
- Roland MT32, CM64, CM500, SC55, SC88, Yamaha MU50

Reply 2995 of 5933, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What am I playing? My 2 years old loves it so much, though. Everytime she says "daddy, vroom vroom!" it means she wants to sit on my lap while I'm playing the game. 😀

Racing-2021-04-26-22-38-54-58.jpg

Racing-2021-04-28-15-55-06-11.jpg

Racing-2021-05-05-10-18-24-27.jpg

Racing-2021-05-05-10-20-12-22.jpg

Racing-2021-05-05-10-20-18-90.jpg

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 2996 of 5933, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's awesome theirs nothing like family game time. My boys love playing PC games with us. My 6 year old has seriously gotten into Sim Safari and he's got quite the impressive 5 star Safari park. And my 22 month old loves watching his brother play it and he really loves when we play KSP and we make the rockets explode he get such a kick out of that.

Reply 2997 of 5933, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Curse of the Azure Bonds
I went through and explored all the optional areas. Even though they were just mazes with "boss" encounters after X amount of random encounters, I didn't mind it due to how fun Gold Box combat is. Having said that, the optional dungeons (even the required areas, really) are really indicative of the general feel of the game itself—a great engine with somewhat boring and repetitive content. It really does feel like playing turn-based Mega Man 🤣... run through a stage, kill the boss, run through the next stage, etc.

I'm now at the final area and could probably finish the game tonight if I wanted to put a few hours into completing it. I'll instead save it for this weekend, I think.

Reply 2998 of 5933, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I finally pulled myself away from some C64 assembly and binging Jojo's Bizarre Adventure long enough to finish Doom. With my customary trophy photo. Perhaps not finished, I didn't do Episode 4 which was added later. But that always felt a bit too masochistic for me. Besides, the ending of Episode 3 transitions into Doom 2 perfectly fine IMHO. And it even says "The End"! What further proof do you need?

20210506_Doom.jpg
Filename
20210506_Doom.jpg
File size
1.23 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Something about getting a photo instead of a screenshot feels like it captures the time better. The monitor, a little bit of the background. Where I live, soon to change. A peak at my current desktop arrangement.

I was plunking away at Dungeon Siege II on my 2004 pc. But I'm thinking I might give Dawn of War a spin. Or maybe try something I've never played before. Kohan II is tempting.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 2999 of 5933, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Episode 4 (Thy Flesh Consumed) is better than all 3 episodes of Doom combined imo. I'd say it is even better than Doom II and my favorite Doom experience.