VOGONS

First post, by laios67

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone
After long time I am in the mood for some vintage stuff experiments . So I got a GA-8ST800 rev 1.0 and a voodoo 3 3500 AGP . I just want to ensure that I don't missed some point fatal fo the hardware . From what I found in the posts the motherboard has a universal AGP 4X which means it accepts 2X also but couldn't find if it supports 3.3V for sure. The CPU is P4 I think around 2.6ghz. Is the hardware match safe something else I must care of ? thanks in advance

Reply 2 of 4, by havli

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SiS 645DX is AGP 3.3V compatible. So unless Gigabyte messed up something, it should work.
But safety first, as always - it would be a good idea to try some cheap AGP 2x GPU so see if everything works properly.

HW museum.cz - my collection of PC hardware

Reply 4 of 4, by Meatball

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just to tie up this thread as the original poster didn't come back with results, I recently picked up a Gigabyte GA-8ST800 v1.0 motherboard.

Despite the AGP universal slot, and the manual claiming AGP 1x/2x/4x support, (Gigabyte website, as mentioned above, claims only AGP 2.0 compliant 2x/4x), this board absolutely does not work with any (production) 3dfx AGP card except the Voodoo4 4500 version capable of AGP 4x. I tried a Voodoo5 5500, Voodoo4 4500, Voodoo3 3000, Compaq Voodoo3 3000 (183MHz), Banshee, and Voodoo3 1000. All experiments ended the same - POST error - 1 long beep followed by 2 short beeps (VGA error). BIOS revisions tested are the original F2 and the latest F4.

This person also tried:
https://www.voodooalert.de/board/forum/index. … oodoo5-5500%2F=