VOGONS

IBM G74 Black Rare Monitor No Video

Topic actions

First post, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am having trouble with an IBM G74 Monitor that is the rare black one and it powers on and the light is green but get no video not even the OSD I can hear normal crt sounds and then it goes into standby it clicks and then It acts normal if the computer is not turned on it will go into stand by like it should with an amber light and then turn green so I know it is getting the video signal just no video or even On Screen Display does not show either!

Reply 1 of 23, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That sounds like it could be an issue with the tube itself or hopefully just a lose connector inside. But your going to have to open it up and take a look inside. As long as your careful and work safely you'll be fine looking around inside. If you do open it definitely post some pictures so we can all get a good look and hopefully help you solve the problem and get it working.

Reply 2 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah I will and I don't know why I've had such bad luck with CRT Monitors off eBay lately, I will definitely take it apart tomorrow and will post pics and see what is going on hopefully something simple

Reply 3 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Here are the some photos of it after I opened it:

Attachments

Reply 4 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

More Photos of the inside:

Attachments

Reply 5 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and some more Photo's of the inside

Attachments

Reply 6 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

and the last set of Photos Here:

Attachments

Reply 7 of 23, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Failed flyback or dry caps in the power circuitry. Those Teapo caps are crap, replace them in the power circuitry first.
If you hear the screen crackling when you turn it on then the flyback is probably fine.

Reply 8 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Miphee wrote on 2021-05-05, 11:18:

Failed flyback or dry caps in the power circuitry. Those Teapo caps are crap, replace them in the power circuitry first.
If you hear the screen crackling when you turn it on then the flyback is probably fine.

I noticed now that I opened it up and plugged it in and turned it on it'll make a click sound after a few seconds and the screen doesn't feel static or make the crackling sound either. But I did notice before it was making that gong like sound that most CRT's make when you turn them on before I opened it up.

Reply 9 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just an Update I found a blown fuse could that cause the issue where it gets power but screen does not turn on and No OSD? The Fuse is completely white!

Reply 11 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well I think I may Give up and recycle this one but I noticed that when it turns on it does the degauss sound and makes a click sound after that after it's been shut off for a while?

Reply 12 of 23, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's degaussing the screen that should mean the tube is ok. I'm wondering if it's just something in the video section. Bad caps or a bad/cracked solder joint.

I'd hate to see you trash it if it's a simple fix.

Reply 13 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-07, 12:20:

If it's degaussing the screen that should mean the tube is ok. I'm wondering if it's just something in the video section. Bad caps or a bad/cracked solder joint.

I'd hate to see you trash it if it's a simple fix.

Yeah Me too! I also noticed that I don't feel no static on the screen or hear crackling but it clicks once and kind of sounds metallic? I'm pretty sure it was a new Monitor in an Open Box too that has been sitting and never used.

Reply 14 of 23, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've had quite a few crts that didn't have the static on the screen when powered up. I'd suspect maybe dried out caps or something simple. Cause from your pictures everything looks good and clean and I can't see any damage to the tube or neck area.

Reply 15 of 23, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Just had another though. I'm wondering if the vga cable got damaged somehow. We have an IBM LCD monitor at work and if their is no video signal you can't bring up the osd or anything but as soon as it has a signal you can bring up and use it's osd.

Reply 16 of 23, by thegenerallee86

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-07, 12:42:

Just had another though. I'm wondering if the vga cable got damaged somehow. We have an IBM LCD monitor at work and if their is no video signal you can't bring up the osd or anything but as soon as it has a signal you can bring up and use it's osd.

Never thought of that But am wondering cause it does come out kind of angled on the back a little bit and where would I find one?

Reply 17 of 23, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You might not be able to get an original replacement cable. But you should be able to buy a VGA extension cable and cut an end off and use that to replace the original cable.