X2GU : New GM bank for DreamBlaster X2

Topic actions

Reply 120 of 127, by dreamblaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

a new version of the Buran bank is available : V1.1
this is an optimized version of V1.0: some redundant\double samples were removed.
It has exactly the same sound as V1.0, but slightly smaller memory footprint. (approx 45mbyte instead of 50 mbyte).
You can download it from https://serdaco.com/downloads/?dir=X2/X2_Soun … nkPack/GM/BURAN

For existing users of Buran 1.0, it makes no sense to update.
This version was useful though, for a new project i will announce soon.

Visit http://www.serdashop.com for retro sound cards, video converters, ...
DreamBlaster X2, S2, S2P, HDD Clicker, ... many projects !
New X2GS SE & X16GS sound card : https://www.serdashop.com/X2GS-SE ,
Thanks for your support !

Reply 121 of 127, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dreamblaster wrote on 2021-04-19, 20:20:
a new version of the Buran bank is available : V1.1 this is an optimized version of V1.0: some redundant\double samples were re […]
Show full quote

a new version of the Buran bank is available : V1.1
this is an optimized version of V1.0: some redundant\double samples were removed.
It has exactly the same sound as V1.0, but slightly smaller memory footprint. (approx 45mbyte instead of 50 mbyte).
You can download it from https://serdaco.com/downloads/?dir=X2/X2_Soun … nkPack/GM/BURAN

For existing users of Buran 1.0, it makes no sense to update.
This version was useful though, for a new project i will announce soon.

Thanks for continuing development on this Serge. Of course I updated because why not 😁

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 123 of 127, by mihai

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
appiah4 wrote on 2019-11-06, 10:23:

Monkey Island in MT-32 Mode using latest Buran soundbank attached.

This sounds very good. How is this achievable? I am usinf an X2 with Buran, using the dosmid method. MT32 sounds quite off for me in Monkey Island.

Reply 124 of 127, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
mihai wrote on 2021-05-04, 22:15:
appiah4 wrote on 2019-11-06, 10:23:

Monkey Island in MT-32 Mode using latest Buran soundbank attached.

This sounds very good. How is this achievable? I am usinf an X2 with Buran, using the dosmid method. MT32 sounds quite off for me in Monkey Island.

Here's a package that can help you. For switching your X2 to MT-32 mode use 'MT32.BAT'. To switch back to GM/GS mode use 'GM.BAT'/'GS.BAT' correspondingly.
download/file.php?id=66257

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper

Reply 125 of 127, by yawetaG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-09-12, 17:59:

b) Who else uses chips from Dream ICs in their products ? Are the likes of Casio, Yamaha and other big names doing so without disclosing it ?

Yamaha is very unlikely, because Dream's chips do not support XG. Casio is also unlikely because they like to reuse their own sound banks (in fact one of the complaints with Casio is that many of their cheaper products share the same ages-old GM bank...). Kawai also use their own banks. All three of those also have the capability to produce their own chips (Roland too). OTOH, many smaller manufacturers very likely license their banks from one of the large manufacturers or Dream...

But well, there are enough videos of hobbyists popping open all kinds of synths on Youtube where they point out the various components to do a little research to try to find some synths using Dream chips (if you have the time) 😉

Although I also expect that you would find some of those chips in unexpected places (karaoke machines, mobile devices, arcade machines (as far as they still exist), video game systems, etc.), based on what I know about to what kind of manufacturers license their technology to...

E.g.
- some of Yamaha's chips (that are not used in many synths) are actually specifically designed for use in karaoke systems and other systems that need voice synthesizing.
- Zoom's RT-323 drum machine has the same chip at its heart as many arcade machines
- Texas Instruments made sound chips for Apple

Reply 126 of 127, by teiresias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:44:

Here's a package that can help you. For switching your X2 to MT-32 mode use 'MT32.BAT'. To switch back to GM/GS mode use 'GM.BAT'/'GS.BAT' correspondingly.

Sorry to ping on a somewhat old post, but can these be used in batch files to change a mode when in Win98/DOS? I'm trying to figure out how to do this, but when I run these in a DOS window (or in DOS Mode) I get the DOSmid interface pop-up, but the X2 doesn't seem to have changed modes when I try to play a non-MT32 midi file or then run, for example, King's Quest 5 with the MT32 driver.

Reply 127 of 127, by Falcosoft

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
teiresias wrote on 2021-06-30, 18:49:
Falcosoft wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:44:

Sorry to ping on a somewhat old post, but can these be used in batch files to change a mode when in Win98/DOS? I'm trying to figure out how to do this, but when I run these in a DOS window (or in DOS Mode) I get the DOSmid interface pop-up, but the X2 doesn't seem to have changed modes when I try to play a non-MT32 midi file or then run, for example, King's Quest 5 with the MT32 driver.

Hi,
1. You should use the latest Buran or the latest Dream banks. Older versions do not contain MT-32 compatible instruments.
2. For using your X2 with MT-32 games you should select games that do NOT use custom MT-32 instruments, only the default ones. I'm not sure if King's Quest 5 is one of them. King's Quest IV is. Here you can find a comprehensive list. As you can see there are not many of them...
Re: Can I use DreamBlaster X2 for MT-32 emulation
3. You should test under pure DOS. Under Win9x it's unlikely this can work.

Website, Facebook, Youtube
Falcosoft Soundfont Midi Player + Munt VSTi + BassMidi VSTi
VST Midi Driver Midi Mapper