VOGONS

Reply 18860 of 27334, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-04, 07:52:

Is there something like a DOS TSR that routes PC speaker sound to a standard Adlib / SoundBlaster through software? A card with a PC Speaker in is almost necessary for some of these older games.

Will dig thru my game archives, have some odd old stuff that may do that.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18861 of 27334, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:10:

My favorite card in one of my PII DOS development machines is my Matrox Millennium II. Unfortunately it doesn't run Keen well. Today I was able to fix that.

Thanks for posting this I didn't realise that a patch existed - I'm a Millennium fan but aren't using mine currently, mainly because of this issue. I'll give this a try.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18862 of 27334, by furan

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
badmojo wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:42:

Thanks for posting this I didn't realise that a patch existed - I'm a Millennium fan but aren't using mine currently, mainly because of this issue. I'll give this a try.

No problem. Even with the scroll patch, you will need to set the border color to 0 if you have the palette problem. (B+F10 cheat)

Reply 18863 of 27334, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
furan wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:10:
My favorite card in one of my PII DOS development machines is my Matrox Millennium II. Unfortunately it doesn't run Keen well. T […]
Show full quote

My favorite card in one of my PII DOS development machines is my Matrox Millennium II. Unfortunately it doesn't run Keen well. Today I was able to fix that.

The first issue is the color palette is all messed up. It turns out this is an issue with how the card implements the EGA overscan/border color. That color actually "tints" the palette on screen. I also saw this issue with 3DFX Voodoo 3/4/5. I was able to fix this by setting the border color to black (actually, this is recommended in Richard Ferraro's book "Programmer's Guide to the EGA and VGA Cards."

Second was scrolling. I located the scroll code in my copies of Keen 4/5/6 and took a whack at it, but then I found patches. I haven't fully digested what the scrolling patch does differently, but they use the original scroll code from the Keen4 shareware 1.0 demo.
https://keenwiki.shikadi.net/wiki/Patch:Scree … hoppy_scrolling

With both of these combined, Keen Galaxy engine games work fine on Matrox. A patch to set the border color to 0 was enough to fix 3dfx. I reproduce some of the issues in cksrcmod so I could change the code before writing a patch.

Thanks !

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 18864 of 27334, by yourepicfailure

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2021-04-21, 22:43:

~snip

Yeah, the T4800 I have suffered the same fate (resume batter leak), and it was clear the previous (not the seller) found out and removed it. There wasn't much damage, would need a serious cleaning. Just powder everywhere.
But I do agree, the proper glass covering just makes it look different compared to plastic covered. It's also much easier to clean.

But yeah the 4400's have a proper socket. Shame they don't have the expansion abilities (or even integrated sound) because with a x5+voltage shim and a recelled, higher capacity battery they would have been killer portable DOS gaming machines.

Today's retro activity: I am true to my word. I went ahead and stuffed the 63MHz Overdrive in my T4400C.

stuffing.jpg
Filename
stuffing.jpg
File size
1.9 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
itworks.jpg
Filename
itworks.jpg
File size
1.12 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Sadly I didn't take a picture of the underside to show the rigging, but it was essentially this: Re: This 486, can mount the pentium overdrive?

I selected the Overdrive not for performance, but for the full Pentium compatibility. In this case the fan was removed so it would fit in there (not much space) as well as to disable the multiplier as it isn't being supplied through enough power pins. I didn't want to risk it with this portable (by pulling too much amps through the pins supplying power). Not to mention the lack of airflow in this laptop.
Running at 25MHz isn't stellar. It's still a wee slow, but there is a noticeable performance increase in certain areas. I just need more ram.

Reply 18865 of 27334, by ThisOldTech

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Fixed an SiS 6326 PCI that I was told was dead... replaced broken capacitor and she lit right up and worked fine! 4MB card too.
Also fixed an S3 Trio64V+ that had one of the tiny surface mount legs on a VRAM chip fall off. Replaced the leg with a clipping from the capacitor legs of that SiS I fixed before it haha. Tricky moves, but it works!

I rescue old PCs and keep them from being recycled... and preserve Dos/Win 3.11 Software on https://www.ThisOldTech.ca.
Current Machine: AST Advantage! Adventure 6066d Cyrix DX50, 32M, 500MB, Vibra16 + CD/Floppy

Reply 18866 of 27334, by vad4r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Talked with a friend who also collects...

001.jpg
Filename
001.jpg
File size
267.31 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
03.jpg
Filename
03.jpg
File size
227.65 KiB
Views
File license

vae victis!

Reply 18868 of 27334, by bjwil1991

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Changed caps on the Compaq VDU internal monitor header board I made for the Paradise EGA card.

Tested the Genoa EGA card in the system and it made the monitor wobble the picture (will test it in my Wyse WY-2108 PC once I get a real keyboard for it) and did a shell swap on my DMG-01 to the original one with disasters: the new display is off-center and the direction pad doesn't work very well, including the other rebuild I did.

Discord: https://discord.gg/U5dJw7x
Systems from the Compaq Portable 1 to Ryzen 9 5950X
Twitch: https://twitch.tv/retropcuser

Reply 18869 of 27334, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
vad4r wrote on 2021-05-05, 05:25:

I think he might have a problem....

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 18870 of 27334, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2021-05-04, 16:00:
gerry wrote on 2021-05-04, 15:06:
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2021-05-04, 14:35:

Found an IBM Aptiva E-series 175 outside, but it was heavily exposed to the elements because the case and cd-drive are rusted and the bottom of the case and are around the modem card was caked in leaves and muck.

sounds like a good rescue story for the "i recently found this hardware" thread, are you going to restore it? it's surprising what electronics can put up with sometimes

I don't know. i don't really have the space to work on things. And I don't know anything about really restoring a computer. I tried to at least disassemble it and remove the motherboard but something I can't see is holding it in place.

a mystery screw usually, maybe its rusted into place ! Sounds like this one would take some time to set right, might be beyond (reasonable) repair unless you know of an enthusiast who'd take it

Reply 18871 of 27334, by gex85

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

001.jpg03.jpg

Holy crap... that's a lot of computers. I might show this picture to my wife when she complains about me piling up too much retro stuff (around 15 machines currently). 😁

My retro computers

Reply 18872 of 27334, by vad4r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-05-05, 07:54:

I ´didn´t post more pics - then you think he has a problem 😁

gex85 wrote on 2021-05-05, 08:19:

001.jpg03.jpg

Holy crap... that's a lot of computers. I might show this picture to my wife when she complains about me piling up too much retro stuff (around 15 machines currently). 😁

You can buy some IBM, the warehouse is only ~60km away from you ^^

vae victis!

Reply 18874 of 27334, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-05, 08:50:
megatron-uk wrote on 2021-05-05, 07:54:

Running out of storage space?

not enough keyboards to match?

Reply 18875 of 27334, by vad4r

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gerry wrote on 2021-05-05, 09:35:

not enough keyboards to match?

not the only box...

Model M.jpg
Filename
Model M.jpg
File size
193.58 KiB
Views
File license

vae victis!

Reply 18877 of 27334, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
furan wrote on 2021-05-04, 23:46:

No problem. Even with the scroll patch, you will need to set the border color to 0 if you have the palette problem. (B+F10 cheat)

The scroll patch worked A-OK and no need to fix the palette here (233MHz socket 7 machine + Matrox Millennium 1) - amazing! Thanks again for sharing this, it's always bothered me.

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 18878 of 27334, by adalbert

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Replaced tiny cooler in my GTX 745 (surprisingly, it was not reaching hairdryer-level noise and it had variable speed, but was too loud for me and not very efficient). I stole a bigger heatsink from passive ASUS GF6600, milled and drilled some holes, put some thermal pads and washers, carefully selecting the thickness, so the card doesn't bend with new, heavier cooler. Assembled it with spring-loaded screws and everything is nice and straight. I thought about making some kind of backplate, but probably isn't necessary. It has low rpm 70mm FDB bearing fan, which is quiet at 12V and inaudible at 5V - and the GPU always puts it on the lowest RPM... 69*C in FurMark with fan on lowest setting.

GTX 745 is a rather 'modern' piece of hardware, but I'm using it in a PC meant for XP -> 7 compatibility and lots of legacy connectors for interfacing with old hardware, like capturing DV tapes, or using native floppy drive on modern OS. It's paired with low-power Xeon L5420 on G41MT-D3 board, beefy pico-style PSU and now whole setup runs basically inaudible (that's important for me 😜). Its performance seems to be comparable to GTX285, but at much much lower power consumption.

Earlier I also beefed up the cooling of that pico PSU, because out of factory it was bent like a banana (overtightened screws, no spacers, mismatched thermal pads). I glued some pieces of aluminum to the original heatsink, to make better contact with mosfets, added thinner thermal pads and aluminium profile on the bottom as a support and additional cooling. The model is X1-ATX-180, seems to be pretty capable, 5V line is much better than in smaller PSUs, but the way the original heatsink is attached was a joke.

Attachments

Repair/electronic stuff videos: https://www.youtube.com/c/adalbertfix
ISA Wi-fi + USB in T3200SXC: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX30t3lYezs
GUI programming for Windows 3.11 (the easy way): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d6L272OApVg

Reply 18879 of 27334, by janskjaer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I applied a caster wheel set to my NZXT Glidebox case, as well as my custom 3dfx vinyl window stickers that I ordered.
Currently sitting inside is my 3DLabs Permedia2 / ELSA GLoria Synergy in the AGP slot, and my STB BlackMagic / 3dfx V2 1000's in SLI, nicely separated in PCI1 and PCI5 thanks to my customised SLI ribbon cable.

Attachments

• nzxt_glidebox_02.jpg
    Filename
    nzxt_glidebox_02.jpg
    File size
    553.67 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • nzxt_glidebox_01.jpg
    Filename
    nzxt_glidebox_01.jpg
    File size
    498.18 KiB
    Views
    File license

DELL Dimension XPS M200s
:Intel P1 MMX 200MHz
:64MB EDO
:DOS 6.22/Win95b
:Matrox Millenium II + m3D (PowerVR PCX2)
Chaintech 7VJL Apogee
:AMD AthlonXP 2700+
:512MB DDR
:Win98SE/2000 SP4
:3dfx Voodoo5 5500 AGP