VOGONS

Reply 20 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This motherboard is actually named the “VLB Galaxy 486V1 v3.

Attachments

Reply 21 of 76, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Obviously from a Galaxy far far away............

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 22 of 76, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
imi wrote on 2021-05-02, 18:58:

I've amassed quite a few of them by now ^^ they do look kinda sexy - pun intended.

Long ago, when I knew young and wild females who were willing to know me, I made a necklace out of Topless 72p SIMMs and well, hung it round a well-proportioned lady. Ah, the good old days...

Reply 23 of 76, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2021-05-04, 14:49:

Long ago, when I knew young and wild females who were willing to know me, I made a necklace out of Topless 72p SIMMs and well, hung it round a well-proportioned lady. Ah, the good old days...

The lady was also topless I hope, and if she was damn I wish I knew this trick in the 90's 😉

Reply 24 of 76, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chinny22 wrote on 2021-05-05, 10:38:

[...]

The lady was also topless I hope, and if she was damn I wish I knew this trick in the 90's 😉

Early 00's in my case, and yes she was - but unfortunately the 'trick' required you able to get the lady topless first. I hadn't quite reached the 'let's use SIMMs and talk of getting topless as a chat-up line' level yet. In retrospect I should have, but that's the usual 'youth is wasted on the young, particularly the young me' line old farts come up with 😜

Reply 25 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Actually, I have never been to Europe. All I know of Germany is from internet and DVD’s.
Rick Steve’s Europe TV show.
And
Visions of Germany DVD.

I actually like the old Bavarian style of German.
I would probably be most interested in old German wood furniture.
Traditional food and pastries.

I am not really interested in German electronics.
I like to meet with old people and talk about traditional customs and food.

Attachments

Reply 26 of 76, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's cool, imho! I've been quite a few times visiting Munich when I was little.
But since my father's a ham, the electronics were important, also.
We traveled by ICE (Intercity Express), I think.
One time, it was winter and the snowy landscapes/sceneries going by were impressive.

The ICE was a first generation model, which still had a Diesel generator in the middle.
It was used as an auxiliary power, I believe.
The crew also sold headphones for the radio receivers installed in the arm chairs.

In Munich, we visited the Olympia Tower, a big outlet of Conrad Electronic (?),
traveled by the underground and finally visited Deutsches Museum.
They have a lot to explore, we still haven't seen everything.

Anyway, Munich is a very big city.
The rural regions are perhaps much more interesting when it comes to culture.
Still haven't been there sadly.
Bavaria has a lot of specialities; not without reason people think that it's a bit like a country of its own.
Some people also like to think of Bavaria as Germany's counterpart to Texas.
But since I have never been in the US/Texas, I can't say much about it. 😅

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 27 of 76, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I "discovered" Germany when we went on a tour coach from London to Oktoberfest, although we actaully spent the nights accross the border in Kitzbühel Austria. I was hooked.
Germany, Austria, Switzerland they all have a similar (but not the same) feel and try to visit at least one of those countries every year.
German beer is something else. I wasnt much of a beer drinker when I went to Oktoberfest but the puritly law really does make the world of difference both to taste and hangevers the next day (not nearly as bad)
And meat, so much meat.

It's actaully why I play Farming Simulator, I get to pretend I'm in that part of the world 🤣

Reply 28 of 76, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ugh, south of Germany...

My parents spent most of the '70s in Berlin, and still visited regularly when I was a child, so picked up a bit there. Then I lived in NL within walking distance of the German border in the Niederrhein for 10 years, so regularly skipped over for cheap booze. And my then girlfriend, now partner, did part of her masters degree in Osnabrück (of the Peace of Westphalia fame), so was there regularly as well. All that, and some student activity of my own, left me with a lot of German friends, so I used to visit regularly. Still, northern places like Hamburg (St Pauli!) and Berlin are definitely more my cup of tea than all those incomprehensible yokels down south (note: I'm overdoing the prejudice, but you quickly pick it up in the north, just like the people in the south consider the northerners a bunch of uncultured vicious-sounding anarchists and/or militarists with bad food and ditto beer) - and I'm a city boy, which also doesn't help.

Having major withdrawal symptoms due to Covid and not being able to travel. In fact, I had two trips through Germany lined up in the very first two weeks of the lockdown in 2020 that I had to cancel. Looking forward to catching up as soon as things return to normal.

And for the record, German engineering (when done right - they mess up far more than most outsiders give them credit for) is utterly beautiful.

Reply 30 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
vad4r wrote on 2021-05-06, 14:26:

Please, Germany is not Bavaria only and btw.

I´m a north german engineer xD

(sry4OT)

But that’s where Levi’s came from. I would like to get a pair of Levi’s from Bavaria. I have lots of Levi’s products. ( pants, shirts, shoes)
These are very popular in USA and starting to get expensive and some are rare. Especially old Levi’s pants resell for more than when they where new.
Maybe just get some Bavarian patches for my old pants.
I know lots of Americans who will not wear any other blue jeans but Levi’s.

Reply 31 of 76, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Americans are suckers for marketing.

Reply 32 of 76, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-06, 15:56:

Americans are suckers for marketing.

Yes, we even have Levis stadium and there is a BIG Levis store in San Francisco.
There actually use to be BIG Levis stores everywhere but they closed back around 2010

All the I.T. Guys wear Levis too.

Attachments

Reply 33 of 76, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Looks like this thread has turned in to "These are the days of our lives."

Reply 35 of 76, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you find it useful I bought this computer a few days ago and it is made in Germany

Attachments

Reply 37 of 76, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-05, 18:03:
I actually like the old Bavarian style of German. I would probably be most interested in old German wood furniture. Traditional […]
Show full quote

I actually like the old Bavarian style of German.
I would probably be most interested in old German wood furniture.
Traditional food and pastries.

I am not really interested in German electronics.
I like to meet with old people and talk about traditional customs and food.

In this case you should get a Cuckoo Clock, not a computer.

Reply 38 of 76, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ah but the Cuckoo Clock isn't Bavarian its from the Black Forrest region, on the fence which area I prefer, hope the fence I'm sitting on is made of wood! 😜
Wouldn't BMW be the most well known Bavarian company? otherwise they would just be called MW which doesn't have the same ring to it

Reply 39 of 76, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Black Forest pudding and icecream. Yummy yummy for my tummy.