VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Edit : Turns out mine was broken but since I did manage to work out some information about it I thought I'd post it here, in case it helps someone.

This is a 4 axis 4 button joystick. The 3 red buttons are standard josytick buttons and the 4th button is at thumb position halfway up the stick. It looks like more than it is, but it's just simply a button.

The hat is unusual, it's not analogue but sends an analogue signal. Essentially it's like controlling an on-screen pointer with a gamepad, hold up to keep moving up and hold down to keep moving down. So if you held the hat up and to the left eventually the joystick would send X:0 Y:0, and if you held it down and to the right the numbers would increase. I'm not really sure what use this is.

The "crown" sends a combination of the 4 buttons. Up sends all 4. Down sends 1-3, Right sends 1,2,4 and Left sends 1,2. I don't know what use this is.

There is also a tiny black button diagonally below the hat, a slider switch and 4 toggle switches. My understanding is that these are used to program macros on the joystick itself. As far as I can determine there is no way to send anything other than what the joystick can already send.

Suncom had more complex sticks than the Raptor which had the same physical format, but they also had a PS/2 passthrough. The passthrough means that the buttons and so on could send meaningful keyboard commands, rather than what I think is useless from this stick. They seem to have made this as a cut down stick in the hope people buy it thinking it's more than it is, with the logic of "Well the extra buttons have to do something, just make them do something, anything".

I don't think it's any more useful than a standard 2 axis 4 button stick. I would not recommend it. The other models, particularly with the PS/2 passthrough look to be much more suitable for flight sims. But this model seems to offer no practical functionality beyond what a simpler stick offers.

------
I've tried to play some Tie Fighter today but it's recognising the hat as the joystick, and the wrong button as the fire button.

I'm using a Suncom Raptor 15e in Win98 (DOS) on a Pentium MMX on the gameport of an Orpheus.

I did hear there's a patch and I managed to track down tiejoycd.exe but the patch makes no difference to it.

I'm wondering if there's any third party utilities that might help, or if there's some other way of getting tie fighter to use the correct inputs?

Last edited by Velociraptor on 2021-05-12, 20:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 10, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I tried a lot more troubleshooting and determined that the main axis was not being detected. So I've opened it up and there were 3 loose wires inside. There's no way they've pulled themselves loose so my guess is it has failed at some point and someone has opened it up to try and see if they can fix it. So I've given up on it. Shame really but that's how it goes buying stuff on ebay.

Reply 6 of 10, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, I've resoldered the 3 loose wires but it hasn't changed things. It's going in a box and maybe some day I'll pull it out and strip it right down, give it 5V and probe the pots etc and see what's what. It's really not easy to work with inside.

Reply 8 of 10, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

https://i.imgur.com/ZbCVOcx.jpg

From that you can see that the main axis isn't detected at all, which explains the behaviour.

Yes I bought a Thrustmaster today, cost less than I thought. Seems gameport joysticks are not in high demand!

Reply 10 of 10, by Velociraptor

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I have a USB one which I last used for Tie Fighter, but I can't use that in DOS.

I've edited my top post with what I learned about this one. I'm unimpressed with it to say the least. Even the screws on the top are cosmetic and don't actually hold anything together. This is very much a stick designed to look like it's better than it is.