VOGONS

Sound Blaster 16 Clones

Topic actions

Reply 300 of 309, by jasa1063

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Sound Blaster 16 support built into the Cyrix MediaGX SOC is actually pretty good. It even initializes with UNISOUND just fine. OPL3 emulation is pretty good too as shown in this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTv-ur2MR4g

Reply 301 of 309, by Retroit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have one and testing it at present moment. I'll say it very good platform for retro gaming - compact and have enough power. In DOS integrated SB16 can be easy configured via Unisound util. And DOS games well work with this SB16 clone - tested with Wolfenstein 3D

Reply 302 of 309, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-04-18, 11:02:

Avance Logic ALS100 (not plus) is pretty much a SB16 without the bugs.

Those cards tend to be quite noisy though, at least mine is.

I've had a few of those pass through, think I still own 2, and same for ALS4000s.... the hissyness seems to depend on the individual card... identical looking cards, one hissy, one quiet... IDK if they're sensitive to precise capacitor values, or slight varying component quality or something, but it seems to be luck of the draw.

2017: Basement full of ancient PC stuff, starting to go through it. 2021: Still starting, heh, many setbacks. So what's this BitWrangler guy's deal ??? >>> Taming the pile, specs to target?

Reply 304 of 309, by TechieDude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ulfenknulfen wrote on 2021-05-30, 13:18:

Hello. I had an ALS100 with quite a bit of hissing interference. Replacing capacitors has helped.

Paddy

Same values or different? It didn't really help in my case...

Reply 305 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
TechieDude wrote on 2021-06-06, 18:52:
Ulfenknulfen wrote on 2021-05-30, 13:18:

Hello. I had an ALS100 with quite a bit of hissing interference. Replacing capacitors has helped.

Paddy

Hi, did you check my older thread already ? 🙂ALS120, ALS100 Plus audio fix ?

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 306 of 309, by Ulfenknulfen

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TechieDude wrote on 2021-06-06, 18:52:

I´ve replaced with same values

Jo22 wrote on 2021-06-06, 19:38:

Hi, did you check my older thread already ? 🙂ALS120, ALS100 Plus audio fix ?

Pretty nice thread!

best regards
Paddy

Reply 307 of 309, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You're welcome. ^^

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 308 of 309, by Rawit

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
jasa1063 wrote on 2021-05-13, 02:15:

The Sound Blaster 16 support built into the Cyrix MediaGX SOC is actually pretty good. It even initializes with UNISOUND just fine. OPL3 emulation is pretty good too as shown in this YouTube video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTv-ur2MR4g

The Cyrix solution has pops and clicks in games like Warcraft at the start of each sample that is being played. It does Sound Blaster Pro as well but stereo is reversed in that case. OPL3 is pretty bad, it sounds like emulation with a low samplerate (which probably is the case). It does work with Creative drivers and works as a Sound Blaster 16 in all the software I tried except for SEA 1.3.

YouTube

Reply 309 of 309, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have both ALS120 and ALS100+. To me OPL3 sounds the same on both of them just like on my Yamaha. There are no issues with sound volume if a3init is used as you can crank up volume up to 31 (using a3config or manually in configuration file by setting it to ~31600). However both cards require PnP OS set to No in BIOS setup for a3init to work as it doesn't seem to be capable of configuring IRQ/DMA - BIOS (or Windows) needs to do that. In Windows installation this will very likely require booting to Windows first, then restarting to DOS. Alternatively you will have to use another tool to configure IRQ/DMA in PnP OS mode. A3config seems to be constantly complaining about selected DMA not being available, yet sound works in games including music. Hwinfo confirmed that the given IRQ/DMA was assigned to sound card. I used ASound driver disc from vogons drivers.

They do not seem to be 100% Sound Blaster Pro compatible. In most games I tested everything worked fine, but not in all of them. Fifa 97 has no sound with ALS100+, but works fine with ALS120. With ALS100+ there are no sound effects in Transport Tycoon, but they do work in the Deluxe version. Tyrian seems to be having problems detecting Sound Blaster for both ALS cards and menu effects don't work initially, however they do work in game. Once I return back to main menu they start working. Exiting Tyrian hangs my computer. I tested also other games like Rott, Doom, Duke Nukem 3d, Settlers 2, Arkanoid (late version with sound card support), Wolfenstein 3d, Winter/Summer games, Prince of persia, One must fall 2097 and all is working fine.

Both sound cards are definitely usable and play authentic OPL3 music, however don't expect 100% compatibility in games.

Pentium III 750E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 256MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS