Rank
l33t++

51 000 total

Reply 3 of 8, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With how many games get published on GoG/Steam these days, it continues to seem like the high dollar "AAA" end of the game industry ought to be headed for collapse when people stop paying $50 for those titles at release. Just the amount of competition alone seems like it would water down the revenue those games can generate, and they'd have to tighten their budgets.
But this situation has been continuing for many years and the mass market "AAA" publishers are still doing fine (financially speaking) as far as I know.

With most games I prefer GoG because I like being able to download and keep the installer with no ongoing dependence on "the cloud". I like to know I'll always be able to install and play the game on the same systems that it works on today. I can also keep old versions as long as I was aware enough to download them at the time.

I've run into some games I wanted to buy that aren't on GoG though and have to be bought on Steam.

The other thing that can push me toward Steam for some game titles is what system/setting I want to play them in.
I have a gaming PC hooked up to a television, which is the closest thing I own to a modern "console". I think Steam works best for that kind of setup (not well enough, but it tries). Steam does support launching non-Steam games, but the experience isn't entirely seamless. Buying the game in Steam ensures it will work the best with Steam, including "in home streaming" and setting up customized control schemes and whatever else.

I recently bought a game on GoG that I might have to re-buy on Steam if it doesn't integrate well with the HTPC. I haven't tried it yet. But for the first try, I opted for the GoG version due to the permanence factor.