VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 21 of 27, by Silanda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

As has already been said, the games mentioned are flight sims and the lack of in-game music was likely a conscious choice by the developers to lean towards realism.

Not sure why everyone's talking about the PC speaker and floppy disks given that the games mentioned were on CDROM in the late '90s. Was the OP edited?

Reply 22 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:13:

Prince of Persia is due to resources. Remember this first stared as an Apple II game.
Shadow man was created out of necessity as no more memory existed to create enemy's, Instead bit shift the code 1 pixel over and Shadow man is born!
(the other enemies only came about when they "found" some extra memory right at the end)

Whoa, I never knew that.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 23 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-05-12, 11:37:
chinny22 wrote on 2021-05-11, 09:13:

Prince of Persia is due to resources. Remember this first stared as an Apple II game.
Shadow man was created out of necessity as no more memory existed to create enemy's, Instead bit shift the code 1 pixel over and Shadow man is born!
(the other enemies only came about when they "found" some extra memory right at the end)

Whoa, I never knew that.

https://youtu.be/sw0VfmXKq54

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 24 of 27, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you for sharing this, loved every bit of that video. And I wasn't aware of the Errol Flynn footage used for the swordfighting animations either.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 25 of 27, by Errius

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-12, 04:53:
Errius wrote on 2021-05-12, 02:21:

Flying Corps has hilariously inappropriate oompah music, IIRC.

Was it about zombies with wings....

That reminds me of Glenn Corpes, the guy who made Populous (along with you know who). As a kid I saw that name so many times. It has stuck in my mind ever since.

Is this too much voodoo?

Reply 26 of 27, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

@MrFlibble
Yeah, I like these kind of videos too. Knowing what hardware limitations did they have to work around and how they did it makes me appreciate these old games more. And especiallyfor PoP, since it's the first PC game I've ever played.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 27 of 27, by Revolter

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maestro wrote on 2021-05-10, 19:51:

Wasted effort, studies found that armchair pilots are just gonna put on Danger Zone anyway.

This is too good.

Celeron 800, 512MB, GeForce2 MX, ES1938S/DB S2, Windows ME/DOS 6.22