VOGONS

First post, by Zaxxon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi guys, One Quick question: in my PII desktop PC i found an integrated S3 trio64 V2 dx/gx, but Is not the best for 3d games, they seems to stutter even at low resolution. I have a voodoo 2 but not all games support It, i tried wipeout XL and It requires a direct3d card. Which One do you suggest me to get?

i have inside the pc (a ibm 300xl with a pII, 64 mb ram) THIS card here, (that you will see in the included images) and seems like there are only oci/isa slots, but maybe the entire board can be removed to accomodate one with agp?

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Personally, if I didn't have a stash of graphics waiting for machines... I'd go for an 8MB Rage XL PCI, because they're alright on earlier D3D games, there's a minigl driver for quake II engine stuff, and they're still cheap because nobody has realised this. Okay by the time of their release date, there were sexier GPu in play, but as a stand in for a more toward mid 90s 3D card they're alright.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Like many cards of the era they were available in both PCI and AGP so make sure the one you get is PCI, unless you luck out finding an AGP riser.

(I should go look in my PIII IBM, it's a similar series I think, I had it in my head that it's got AGP, but not sure if it's on a similar compatible riser or not)

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 5 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My iBM was too far down a pile at the moment, pics on web are showing that it don't use a riser, more a mATX type layout with the AGP on the board. 300PL.

Reply 7 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Doh, good point, you have to be VX or TX tall to go on this ride 🙁

Reply 9 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gah, you said 440 too, or BX or ZX then. I must be more tireded than I thunk.

Reply 10 of 10, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-16, 17:57:

Personally, if I didn't have a stash of graphics waiting for machines... I'd go for an 8MB Rage XL PCI, because they're alright on earlier D3D games, there's a minigl driver for quake II engine stuff, and they're still cheap because nobody has realised this. Okay by the time of their release date, there were sexier GPu in play, but as a stand in for a more toward mid 90s 3D card they're alright.

Oh well I've just impulse-bought one of those new Chinese ones. Will be interested to see how it goes in my K6-2 Aptiva (currently powered by onboard SiS300 gfx).