VOGONS

First post, by dinth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. Is there a limit to drive letter assignments in Windows? I have recently installed a fresh system on my Thinkpad 380XD and im struggling with mounting all the required devices.
My laptop has USB port (i often use usb stick to move files to that computer), PCMCIA slot (with a CF-to-PCMCIA adapter and i CF card i am planning to use as a separate harddrive), CDROM and a virtual CDROM, but it seems that Windows only assigns C:, D: and sometimes E:, never goes as far as F:

If - during boottime - no PCMCIA card nor USB stick is in, then CDROM becomes D: and after windows boots i cannot use PCMCIA nor USB anymore.

If - during boottime - PCMCIA is in, then PCMCIA becomes D:, built-in CDROM becomes E: and after windows boots, i cannot use USB anymore.
If - during boottime - both PCMCIA and USB are in, then PCMCIA gets D:, CDROM gets E: and USB doesnt get a letter assigned.

If - during boottime - PCMCIA is not in, but USB stick is, then USB stick becomes D:, built-in CDROM becomes E: and i cannot use PCMCIA anymore. When i stick it into a running system, i can hear the chime that the device was detected, i can see it in Device Manager, but it just never gets drive letter assigned.

In any case i cannot use the virtual CDROM - it seems it gets same letter as the built in one.

In Device Manager i can change drive letter assigned both to built in CDROM and virtual CDROM drive - but the pull down menu options are only limited to D: and E:.

How can i get Windows to assign drive letters past E:? This is especially important, because i will need to create another partition on my harddrive.

Reply 1 of 3, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

verify C:\config.sys for presence of LASTDRIVE= statement, change or add to LASTDRIVE=Z

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 3, by fgenesis

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My win98 system is equipped with a bunch of HDDs, a USB combo card reader, 2 CD drives and some other things that may or may not add drive letters and no such problems here.
But normally extra drives/partitions in there mess up the order as you said (and it's fairly normal for win98 since it does that at boot time -- wikipedia has more info on the subject).

What you want is

Filename
LetAssig.zip
File size
1.07 MiB
Downloads
72 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

, forgot where i downloaded it from but it has solved all my drive letter shenanigans.

EDIT: And for virtual CD drives under win98 i generally recommend Alcohol 120% v1.9.2 specifically with KernelEx extensions completely disabled for all its exe and DLL files otherwise explorer may crash when right-clicking a virtual drive.