VOGONS

Reply 20 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never did dump the ROM on mine... was scared since I had never seen one before and didn't want to somehow screw it up .

Since you have the same card now I just may try a dump, especially since I have used my programmer quite a lot since I have gotten it and haven't screwed anything up with it yet.

I never actually had a chance to even test the card with everything else that has been going on with life and other projects... story of my life.. bleh.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 21 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I haven't gotten myself a programmer, so a dump would be great to get archived if you get to it. There is great community demand for it... at least two people, maybe one!

Reply 22 of 65, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

One little request - could either of you try Civilization (I) with the Roland MT-32 MIDI (sound option 5 at startup)?

On my card the instrument used in the whole intro sounded like a nasty square wave, I sort of assume due to massive clipping. That might just be different on a different Echo card...

Reply 24 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What does your system report when you run DSP16ver ?

Mine currently reports 41.117

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 25 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Here is the ROM. It it 512KB.

Text at the beginning says 1993 Euphonics.

Filename
Cardinal-MPC700-Wavetable-ROM-1993-Euphonics-ST-M274001-DIP32.zip
File size
402.6 KiB
Downloads
73 downloads
File license
Public domain

On a side note, I have 2 Orchid Gamewave32 cards. One has the default ROMs and the other has the upgraded ROMs.

(Edited... was thinking they were Soundwave cards, but they are Gamewave cards)

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-05-19, 06:07. Edited 1 time in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 26 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Great work! Pinging @JidaiGeki

JidaiGeki wrote on 2017-01-21, 01:35:

Anyone else have/know much about the Cardinal Digital Sound Pro 16 Plus? Aka MPC700Plus.

IMG_6267.JPG

It has a ROM socket for upgrades, including wavetable - guessing the ROM will be impossible to find now.

Adding the DSP16ver check to my to-do list when I dig mine out again.

Reply 27 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-02-07, 01:29:

And thanks for your input to the thread 😀 Drivers are uploaded now, including some scraps of documentation I've found around the place:

http://vogonsdrivers.com/getfile.php?fileid=1779&menustate=0

https://archive.org/details/cardinal_dsp16

Just as an FYI, the installer on the driver disk doesn't work for the package you put on vogonsdrivers. Says that it can't load the script.
I have another copy of the disks and the installer works fine.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 28 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for the heads up. They would have worked for me in the past of course. I'll test them on the impending install and see if I've done anything wrong when repackaging for upload.

Reply 29 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pierre32 wrote on 2021-05-19, 00:11:

Thanks for the heads up. They would have worked for me in the past of course. I'll test them on the impending install and see if I've done anything wrong when repackaging for upload.

Th files all look correct to me. I thought it may be something with my system but I've tried multiple floppies and it always has the same problem. Maybe the zip or upload got corrupted or something.

I noticed on my copy that it doesn't copy over all the .ld files so I may make a customized install script that does just so I don't have to copy them over manually.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 30 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

AHAHAHAHAHA... I loaded up Wolfenstein 3D, which of course only supports OPL2/3 for music and it is very evident that the OPL is being emulated with the wavetable. It actually sounds pretty stinking good.

Edit: I need to do some testing with another card that doesn't have the wavetable ROM to see if the OPL emulation is different or not.

Edit 2: Nope, card without the Wavetable ROM sounds exactly the same with FM as one with Wavetable ROM does.

Still, I kinda like it FM rendition on these cards. Need to try more stuff. Already did Dune 2 and Major Stryker.

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-05-19, 06:19. Edited 2 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 31 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
dionb wrote on 2021-05-16, 22:21:

One little request - could either of you try Civilization (I) with the Roland MT-32 MIDI (sound option 5 at startup)?

On my card the instrument used in the whole intro sounded like a nasty square wave, I sort of assume due to massive clipping. That might just be different on a different Echo card...

AHHHHHHH... my ears, my ears!!!! It isn't the whole intro on my card though.

I'm guessing it is because the MT-32 has a way different mapping than a GM module.

Edit: will have to try the Gamewave MT-32 mode and see if it makes a difference.

So the GENMID.ld and MT32.ld files do not work properly with this card.. Only tried the ones from the Innovision set so far. GENMID I can only hear very faintly. MT32 is just a really loud square wave I guess. Had to power cycle the computer to get it to quit.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 33 of 65, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-19, 03:16:
dionb wrote on 2021-05-16, 22:21:

AHHHHHHH... my ears, my ears!!!! It isn't the whole intro on my card though.

😜

So it's not just my card 😉

I'm guessing it is because the MT-32 has a way different mapping than a GM module.

Not sure about that. I've played this tune on about every GM device I've had (Civ is the fastest way I can get from DOS command prompt to MIDI output, so it's my go-to test source) and from SC-55 down to simple cheapo QSR1000 synths, the mapping makes it sound bad, but nothing remotely like this.

Edit: will have to try the Gamewave MT-32 mode and see if it makes a difference.

So the GENMID.ld and MT32.ld files do not work properly with this card.. Only tried the ones from the Innovision set so far. GENMID I can only hear very faintly. MT32 is just a really loud square wave I guess. Had to power cycle the computer to get it to quit.

Ugh, not just Civ then...

Reply 34 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, if you look at the archived pages from Orchid, the driver packages are clearly specific that they won't work with the other cards:
http://web.archive.org/web/19961018060314/htt … o/drv-gw32.html
http://web.archive.org/web/19961018060328/htt … o/drv-sw32.html

The GM output even with the Cardinal driver set seems really wonky on my card in the one game I have tried it on (KQ6) so maybe there is something wrong with my card or something.

Maybe the ROM on my card is from a different card or something as it doesn't have the same sticker and is a old style EPROM with the glass window while the one on the other card is not.

I really would like to be able to compare the two.

Edit: Line Out sounds better than Speaker Out on my card. Testing in the Duke3d setup right now and it seems like it was possibly clipping with Speaker Out.

General MIDI definitely clips with the Speaker Out in Duke3D. No volume control with General MIDI and using the Line Out, but the WaveBlaster setting has working volume control with Line Out.

Hmmmm.

Yeah, definitely something screwy with the speaker out. The clipping is horrible. And if I use the DSP16vol utility to lower the volume, it gets quieter but it sounds just as horrible in a different way.

Line Out doesn't have the clipping or other weird issues.

Edit2: The GENMID.LD Invision version from the Orchid cards works with Line out but sounds not quite correct. I think I am going to try the Gamewave32 driver and see if that works. I think it may be newer. The Cardinal card says it is version 1.10 and the Orchid cards supposedly have a higher version number.. but maybe they are not based on the same versioning... who knows.

MT32 mode still doesn't work right at all though.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 36 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
yawetaG wrote on 2021-05-20, 05:06:

Shit op-amp on the speaker out?

Could be, or maybe the caps are bad. There is a ton of noise when the volume is turned up high. Worst I have heard so far with this setup. I can't imagine the card being like this when it was new.

That being said, I am testing the orchid drivers and will post and update my findings in the next post.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 37 of 65, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ok, so a few more things I have found out while looking through documentation.

Different Orchid cards:
Gamewave 32
Gamewave 32 Plus - what exactly is this? This ships with the InVision ROMs ( Manual shows instead of just speaker and line out and a volume control, the volume control is replaced by Line In and MIC. )
Soundwave 32
Soundwave 32 Pro (comes with QSound ld file (3DFM.LD) ) while the other cards you needed to buy it as an addon. I just happen to have the install files for the Soundwave 32 Pro so I will be testing this out.
SoundWave 32+SCSI

comes with a WaveBooster interface connector

(All SounWave 32 SCSI models ship with InVision ROMs)
Soundwave 32Pro SCSI -

same features as the SoundWave 32+SCSI, but replaces the Roland MT-32 compatibility mode with the Algorithmic/Wavetable Synthesis (A/WS) method for creating sounds.

SoundWave 32+Studio -

same features as the SoundWave 32+SCSI for a total of 56 wavetable synthesis voices. In addition, it comes with Orchid's Wavebooster 4FX high-quality wavetable synthesizer card. It features include 4MB of ROM samples, built-in digital effects, reverb and chorus, and compatibility with the General Synthesizer specification.

https://books.google.com/books?id=eMKimy4DFaE … epage&q&f=false

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
InVision ROMs info from the DSP update readme:

Changes in this Release ----------------------- […]
Show full quote

Changes in this Release
-----------------------

This updated DSP code adds the following functions to Orchid
SoundWave and GameWave products.

* Enhanced SoundBlaster compatibility

* Improved MIDI THRU support

* Improved MIDI SYSEX support (required for use with Orchid's
DOS audio control panel which is coming soon).

* new INFO.EXE program to report file versions

Note:
-----
This new DSP code is ONLY appropriate for Orchid audio boards
that have the InVision ROM upgrade installed. You will
experience odd wavetable sounds if you try to use them with other
types of ROMS. If you don't have the InVision ROM upgrade, but
would like more information please see the following Press
Release.

Orchid Technology
Press Release
-------------------------------

"InVision Interactive, a supplier of sound samples for leading
synthesizer manufacturers (Korg, Ensoniq, Yamaha and others), has
designed a custom sound set for Orchid Technology's SoundWave 32
card. This new sound set, with over 200 instrument and effects
sounds , improves the quality of both the General MIDI and MT-32
instruments by utilizing InVision's patented sound processing
techniques.

"Originally aimed at music markets, this new sample set is great
for games and other multimedia applications, enhancing the
realism and depth of the Orchid SoundWave 32 card. These ROM sets
are available now from InVision Interactive. The price is $39.95
(plus shipping and handling), and includes the new ROM chips and
software. A new ROM upgrade for Orchid's GameWave 32 will also be
available February 1, 1994, from InVision.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GameWave32 driver tests:

Gamewave32 v1.4 (driver set for Gamewave32 with non-InVision ROMs)- Nothing except the CDROM driver gets loaded in config.sys . GW32 is the config utility (and TSR? ) that runs in Autoexec.bat and that you use to reconfigure after bootup.
GENMID.LD works fine and I think sounds better than the Cardinal DSP001WA.LD. MT32.LD gives no sound whatsoever - tried in KQ6 and Dune2.

Gamewave32 v2.3 (driver set for Gamewave32 with upgraded InVision ROMs) - GENMID.LD works but there is definitely something wrong with the mapping as at least one instrument just gives clicks. MT32.LD produces no sound.

Gamewave32 Plus V3.0 - GENMID.LD has the same problem as v2.3. Substituting the 1.4 GENMID.LD makes it works properly. Does not come with MT32.LD. When using the MT32.LD from v1.4, it loads it but says emulation mode unknown.
Comes with the DOS mixer and volume control which is a separate download for the earlier driver versions. No sound produced with MT32.LD.

Note:
Speech is slower than normal with the Gamewave32 drivers - tried 1.4 and 2.3. Hilariously sounding voices in DUNE2. This is only when using the GENMID.LD from these sets. When using these drivers and the DSP001WA.LD from the Cardinal driver set, the speech is normal. This leads me to believe that the Cardinal cards and the Orchid cards are clocked differently.

SoundWave32 driver tests:

Soundwave32 v1.4 - same slowdown in speech as in the GameWave32 drivers.

Soundwave32 Pro - same slowdown. This driver set has extra .LD files - CP10, EFFECT, and 3DFM (Seen as Q-Sound for Sound Blaster). No idea what the first 2 do. Will try to figure it out later. I don't remember seeing any mention of them in the manual. the SW32 program loads them but doesn't know what they are.

The reason the Cardinal cards play the speech and possibly other digital audio slower and possibly other issues when using the .ld files from the Orchid cards

So I was looking at pictures, part numbers, etc. when searching for the drivers for different manufacturers' cards and noticed that the ADSP-2115 comes in different speeds.
The Orchid cards use the KP-80 (20Mhz) variant while the Adaptec, Cardinal, and Wearnes cards use the KP-66 (16.67Mhz) variant.

Look at page 61:
https://www.analog.com/media/en/technical-doc … s/ADSP-2115.pdf

Filename
ADSP-2115.pdf
File size
1.23 MiB
Downloads
58 downloads
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

So all it should take to make the Orchid .ld files work properly on the other brands would probably be a simple timing change to the code.

DSP programming

I was doing a search for different manufacturer's drivers for cards that use the ECHO DSPs and came across an ftp that has some programs and code to use the DSP on these cards for noise reduction, some type of modem, sound visualization (I think) and maybe some other stuff. I've downloaded the whole directory already.
ftp://ftp.ucsd.edu/hamradio/dsp/

Last edited by cyclone3d on 2021-05-26, 02:36. Edited 13 times in total.

Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 38 of 65, by jesolo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Being an owner of a standard Orchid Soundwave 32, I'm following this thread with interest.
My card has the standard ROM images, but I have acquired two 512KB ROM chips in order for me to try out the Invision ROM images. Just haven't got around into testing it out.

Reply 39 of 65, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jesolo wrote on 2021-05-20, 09:30:

I have acquired two 512KB ROM chips in order for me to try out the Invision ROM images.

Hmm this has my interest. Just went digging for some sound samples.

Orchid standard: http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/cards/orchid_sw32_std.html

Orchid w/ Invision: http://kawai.spb.ru/files/sound/cards/orchid_sw32_invis.html

What's the deal with having two ROMs on the Orchid? Does that mean you can install two banks, or do they combine to make one bank?