VOGONS

First post, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
I recently got a pc with the EPOX EP 8RDA+ and it turns on for a split second and turns of. No fans turn on, but I can hear my PSU click. Motherboard powers up when I take out the cpu, I also get the FF error code which i found out is either a dead mobo or cpu. Cpu inside is an athlon 2500+, barthon version. Dead motherboard or is there anything I can do?
Thanks!

Last edited by sirotkaslo on 2021-05-20, 10:47. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think PSU turning on then immediately off generally means an overload/short somewhere. If the PSU stays on when there's no CPU fitted then the problem might be with the CPU. Have you got any other's that you can try?

Reply 3 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On my Epox 8KTA3+ Pro 'FF' on the integrated POST code card means everything is working and the system is ready to boot an OS.
If you take out the CPU you should only get bogus POST codes afaik. Maybe it's hard coded to display 'FF' when it only gets power?
Like snufkin said an immediately turning off / clicking PSU points to a short circuit, if it doesn't occur when taking out the CPU I'd also assume the CPU is bad. You should be able to find some Duron for next to nothing if you want to investigate further.

Good luck!😃

Reply 4 of 15, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I read somewhere that FF is either all is good or everything is f*ed 😁 Will get a new cpu and test it, its a good board.

Non related, does it support agp 2x? I have a Kyro gpu on its way and just remembered it only supports 3.3v slots.

Reply 6 of 15, by wiretap

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Post some clear pictures of the motherboard out of the case. Sometimes people can spot problem areas if there's something physically wrong with it.

My Github
Circuit Board Repair Manuals

Reply 7 of 15, by fool

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are many options... Pictures can help as mentioned above.
First I'd suspect either capacitor and/or MOSFET shortage problem. Motherboards from that era have very often bloated or dried capacitors. While ago I replaced caps to my EP-8RDA3+.
Second, have you another CPU? Before trying with another CPU it's better measure using multimeter MOSFETS are not shorted. (done that - not a good idea)

Toshiba T8500 desktop
SAM/CS9233 Wavetable Synthesizer daughterboard
Coming: 40-pin 8MB SIMM kit, CS4232 ISA wavetable sound card

Reply 8 of 15, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sirotkaslo wrote on 2021-05-20, 12:36:

I read somewhere that FF is either all is good or everything is f*ed 😁 Will get a new cpu and test it, its a good board.

So it is Full Function as well as Fatal Fault. Nice!😄

Non related, does it support agp 2x? I have a Kyro gpu on its way and just remembered it only supports 3.3v slots.

I think some Kyro boards are configured to identify as 3.3V signalling only while the graphics chip actually supports 1.5V signalling as well.

Your Epox board does not support 3.3V signalling afaik so the card may trigger a safety mechanism that keeps the system from starting. If that's all true there's an easy mod for your Kyro to make it identify itself as 1.5V signalling compatible.

Reply 10 of 15, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got an inkling that was one of the board that there were droop mods for, so possibly kind of marginal in the power department from the factory.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 11 of 15, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
sorry for the late reply, finishing my house and am currently really busy with it. Going to pick up an athlon 2400 today along with some other retro things and will try to make it work, if not, will post the mobo here.

Reply 12 of 15, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Doornkaat wrote on 2021-05-20, 21:12:

I think some Kyro boards are configured to identify as 3.3V signalling only while the graphics chip actually supports 1.5V signalling as well.

Your Epox board does not support 3.3V signalling afaik so the card may trigger a safety mechanism that keeps the system from starting. If that's all true there's an easy mod for your Kyro to make it identify itself as 1.5V signalling compatible.

I found a mod to make it work with agp 4x, kyro only arrived yesterday so I haven't had the chance to try it out yet.

Reply 15 of 15, by sirotkaslo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I got this mobo with the gpu and it wasnt working. Yesterday tried the gpu that came with this pc in another one and now that mobo is also dead, so yeah, I guess you can say I did.