VOGONS

First post, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a computer that I want to use sblive on dos to listen to .modules on live module player (LMP by Lada Kopecky). The thing is, on windows I can use pcm 48khz output of the digital out no problem with my receiver/amplifier. But when I get to dos, I cannot make it work, the card shut it's digital channel. I did try sbemixer /d:+ to enable digital output but my receiver keep on telling me there is no pcm data out there.

I have try to use teh AUD_EXT connector to hook some jumper wires on pin 17/18, 19/20 and 21/22. On all three combination my receiver told me it detect a 48khz pcm signal but it's always silent, except on pin 19/20 where I kind of hear a distant mono channel from the playing modules, sound like an random dolby surround channel.

My soundcard is a sb0100 that someone gave me, and I got some problem installing the 5.1 drivers, so maybe it's a teared down version. I have ordered a sb0220 on ebay which seem to sport an spdif_io molex connector onboard, so I hope to be more lucky this time. But if not, does anybody have an idea where I could hook some wires to get stereo digital output ? Could someone recommend me a model that it is know to work in digital on dos with LMP.EXE ?

Reply 1 of 10, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I found that http://www.damsbo.com/Soundblaster/sbmod.htm connector pin #9/8 are another spdif connector that escape me on my first read. They work perfectly on dos bypassing the buggy sbemixer! 😀 To have audio on windows I have to set the speaker selection to 5.1 instead of 2.0 otherwise there is no audio.

Reply 2 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Beware, the Soundblaster Live! while a LOVELY card for almost all needs past and present unless your doing surround, has the same issue as all the other PCI sound cards on DOS. They just have a habit of not working. Sound on DOS is a miracle in it's own right, the fact that it works is nothing short of a quantum state.

ISA sound cards (AWE64 is a great card if you can find one cheap, make sure it has all the right chips, i've been burned) (AWE32 is good for early pentium and mid to late 486 machines, and is nice because of the easily purchasable 30 pin SIMMS instead of a proprietary and expensive memory upgrade) work better under DOS, people try and try, but at the end of the day, they don't work out well. I have never personally tried it out with my SBLive, but that's because DOS is for P5s and 0123486 machines.

However for your use, you might as well use DOSBox, or even a modern MOD player, not sure why you need DOS.

There is also something called SB Link which may be available on some boards for better DOS compatibility with PCI cards.

Reply 3 of 10, by ElBrunzy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Ampera wrote:

However for your use, you might as well use DOSBox, or even a modern MOD player, not sure why you need DOS.

Thanks for your reply Ampera, but the use for this card is very specific. This computer use dos to drive a soundblaster 1.5 and a LifeAMP dos module player that use the emu10k1. I have a awe64 and considered it for the job but I dont think you can disable sb emulation while keeping the emu8k alive (and use AMP (AWEModulePlayer)). Anway next to this computer, there is another computer holding a sbawe32 and a guspnp, so it's no diversity to have two emu8k in the same room. Maybe I didnt had emphased enough that the sole reason I want a sblive on dos on that computer is to use LiveModulePlayer with hardware playback on the emu10k1, this player is astounding, and if you hear it pcm digital! I think this is the capstone of module music playback.

Reply 4 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:
Ampera wrote:

Thanks for your reply Ampera, but the use for this card is very specific. This computer use dos to drive a soundblaster 1.5 and a LifeAMP dos module player that use the emu10k1. I have a awe64 and considered it for the job but I dont think you can disable sb emulation while keeping the emu8k alive (and use AMP (AWEModulePlayer)). Anway next to this computer, there is another computer holding a sbawe32 and a guspnp, so it's no diversity to have two emu8k in the same room. Maybe I didnt had emphased enough that the sole reason I want a sblive on dos on that computer is to use LiveModulePlayer with hardware playback on the emu10k1, this player is astounding, and if you hear it pcm digital! I think this is the capstone of module music playback.

I'm more of a MIDI type of guy. Sorta like MOD and a nice musical interface all in one.

Reply 7 of 10, by Ampera

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ElBrunzy wrote:

I beleive that when it come to emuXk and Gravis music, midi and mod are all the same, dont you think so ?

From a technical standpoint MOD is a list of samples and in what order to play them

MIDI is a list of instruments that have various samples assigned to them, and then arbitrary data that informs how it should be played.

This way, a MOD file will be a lot larger than a MIDI file, since a MIDI file just need to provide the lightweight data to the synthesizer that will already have the samples, however
MOD will sound essentially the same no matter where you play it, since the samples are included, and MIDI will definitely change if it's on an OPL2 chip, or a 1GB soundfont.

Reply 8 of 10, by PARUS

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have CT4670, SB0060 and SB0220. I've tried the latest DOS driver with all three cards. On CT4670 and SB0220 digital signal is present, 48 kHz. On SB0060 it is absent. I don't know why. If I try other older DOS drivers the signal may be absent on digital output (on 4670 or 0220, I don't remember now). In Windows digital output is working always and with all three cards.

And: the key /d:+ doesn't work. I.e. if dig signal is present I can't to disable it, and if dig signal is absent I can't enable. The same I can say about .INI file, section DigitalEnable=TRUE/FALSE, it can't turn dig output on/off.

Reply 10 of 10, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sorry for the Necro, but I would like to add that on both a CT4830 and an SB4670, digital audio (S/PDIF) output in LMP (Live Module Player) under DOS works when using output SPDIF03/SPDIF0#3 , which is what is on pin #9 of AUD_EXT (pin 8 being ground) and on pin #12 of SPDIF_EXT (see http://ixbtlabs.com/articles/livetolive51/index.html ).

On either card, I am unable to get audio in DOS using LMP through SPDIF00/SPDIF0#0 , even if I route WAVE and SYNTH to SPDIF0 using Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy . On the SB4670, in DOS, I was able to get MPXPLAY to output through SPDIF00 (I have not tested this on the CT4830 yet), but not through SPDIF03/SPDIF0#3. It is unfortunate that Multichannel DOS mixer for DOS sound builds v0.49 for Live, v1.01 for Audigy does not seem to support routing audio through SPDIF03/SPDIF0#3 (or maybe I am doing it wrong).

Anyway, considering all this, my tentative solution to get S/PDIF audio working in DOS (no matter the program) and under Windows 98 SE is to tap both SPDIF03/SPDIF0#3 and SPDIF00/SPDIF0#0 and send them to my DIY S/PDIF mixer (to which I will add additional inputs).

EDIT : This is all without running SBEINIT as I do not use SB16 emulation .