VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rjhwinner03

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have started work on a Wolfenstein-like Raycasting FPS game in C for DOS (I compile my code with Watcom and TASM). I am trying to find a good sound file type that I can use for sound effects like shooting.

I already have the ability to load in module (.MOD) files with the ModPlay library, and I was wondering whether I should use .MOD for the shooting sound effects, or if I should go and find another sound file type.

If so, what sound file type would be the best for DOS?

Thanks,
-rjhwinner03

Reply 2 of 4, by pan069

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It depends.

If you use a MOD file to play music during the game then using a MOD for sound effects will probably stop playing the music.

Also, using an MOD for sound effect sounds like a bit of over kill since an MOD usually uses a minimum of 4 channels. Even if you only use one channel, the mixer will still have to mix at least 4 channels. Whether or not this is a problem mostly depends on what CPU you are targeting though.

Exactly which MOD player are you using? If it has the ability to play individual sounds files (i.e. mix in a 5th or 6th channel while the music is playing) then you probably want to use that feature. MOD players made for games usually have this type of feature whereas MOD players made for just playing back music usually don't.

What type of sounds format to use for sounds effects? It depends on what the player supports, otherwise you have to write a loader that e.g. can load a WAV file and converts it while loading it into memory.

Reply 3 of 4, by digistorm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you strictly mean to use the mod to store the samples, the mod format may not be the best fitted, because the format only allows for 31 samples. An XM or IT might be better then, as you can store more samples. If you mean to use mods because you will use some library that is module-based, some of them also support playback of sound effects, and that would save you time in development.

Reply 4 of 4, by BloodyCactus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

its fine. you should be able to have it just play any sample when you need. Check the player routines api. it might even have just a play wav file api support.

--/\-[ Stu : Bloody Cactus :: [ https://bloodycactus.com :: http://kråketær.com ]-/\--