VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by tjohnson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently installed MS-DOS 7.1 on a LGA775 board, Intel E2200 processor, foxconn m7vmx-k motherboard, 4GB RAM.

HIMEM and EMM386 NOEMS configured, boots to dos fine but running mem it shows 3,143,55 extended (XMS) memory but all of it is show as used. So trying to run anything that used xms memory I get a DOS/16M error [40] not enough available extended memory (XMIN)

Is this a known issue running MSDOS on newer hardware?

Reply 2 of 5, by tjohnson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have another AMD Athlon x2 machine, Asus A8n-SLI Deluxe platform with 4GB ram and this doesn't have the same issue it shows 2,882,49 XMS memory with 3,168k used. However this has a different issue I can't get the mouse to work in games despite the fact it recognises there is a mouse.

Reply 3 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/3201165/d … 4-10-dd6-engine

Are you using a DOS Extender?
If so, you could try to reserve some Extended Memory (not XMS) for the INT15 BIOS interface.
Normally, Himem.sys allocates all memory it can get, except if used with the /INT15=xxxx parameter.
Not sure, however, if it's still in the Himem.sys that comes with Windows 9x.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 5, by tjohnson

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh my I think I made a typo instead of NOEMS I used NOXMS which explains why there is no XMS memory available 😀

I managed to get Duke Nukem and C&C working. Had to patch C&C to use DOS32a as it failed with the DOS/4GW 1.97 although my version of Duke Nukem uses that 1.97 and ran. It would be great to fix the mouse issue on the Athlon nforce system, it detects a mouse but doesn't actually work, maybe this is a bios issue and won't be resolvable. On the other LGA775 system the mouse works fine even though is a wireless USB one.

Reply 5 of 5, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
tjohnson wrote on 2021-05-24, 15:47:

Oh my I think I made a typo instead of NOEMS I used NOXMS which explains why there is no XMS memory available 😀

Hah, that explains a lot! 😁

Don't be sad, though, we all had been there at some point.
To err is human, after all.

Most people on the interwebs do usually share their stories of success,
but only a few talk about their misadventures.

Attachments

• images(2).jpg
    Filename
    images(2).jpg
    File size
    12.82 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//