VOGONS

Reply 40 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS CDROM stuff is all PIO, so AFAIK being DMA capable or not shouldn't matter. I haven't really tried to formulate a theory of my own yet, but I would lean toward a software limitation or bug either in VIDE-CDD or possibly the EMS driver itself

Reply 41 of 115, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-03-31, 22:29:

DOS CDROM stuff is all PIO, so AFAIK being DMA capable or not shouldn't matter. I haven't really tried to formulate a theory of my own yet, but I would lean toward a software limitation or bug either in VIDE-CDD or possibly the EMS driver itself

Good point, I was somehow fixated on DMA . I must still be low on caffeine, 🤣 .

Reply 42 of 115, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOS CDROM stuff is all PIO...

I'am pretty sure thats incorrect. Just look at the Bus Master driver package from Triones for Intels Triton chipsets.
Or adaptecs CD driver for their scsi cards, or early CD-ROMs with proprietary connector.
I attached some readme from the high speed cd-rom driver bundled with a Lite-On CD-drive.

Attachments

• Filename
    README.TXT
    File size
    1.55 KiB
    Downloads
    114 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 43 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
elianda wrote on 2021-03-31, 23:01:
I'am pretty sure thats incorrect. Just look at the Bus Master driver package from Triones for Intels Triton chipsets. Or adaptec […]
Show full quote

DOS CDROM stuff is all PIO...

I'am pretty sure thats incorrect. Just look at the Bus Master driver package from Triones for Intels Triton chipsets.
Or adaptecs CD driver for their scsi cards, or early CD-ROMs with proprietary connector.
I attached some readme from the high speed cd-rom driver bundled with a Lite-On CD-drive.

Fair point. I should have specified on
pre-PCI systems

Reply 44 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good news! I've found a tiny CD-ROM driver that is smaller than Vide, can be loaded high and is from Microsoft! 🙂

Edit: Also worth a try is cat.com, the quickest mice driver in the world.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 45 of 115, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-01, 07:48:

Good news! I've found a tiny CD-ROM driver that is smaller than Vide, can be loaded high and is from Microsoft! 🙂

It would be good news for all of us if you could share said driver 😉

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 46 of 115, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Please do let us know what you are referring to . I hope it has nothing to do with being either loaded or high in any context other than than of a UMB . 😉

Do also let us know if you are feeling alright .

Reply 47 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-04-01, 08:02:

Sure, I do! Do tell you. At the moment,
nine of ten voices in my head are saying that I'm nuts, whereas the tenth is humming the melody of Tetris (Type-A).. That's fine, I really like Tetris.👍

In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 48 of 115, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-01, 08:10:

nine of ten voices in my head are saying that I'm nuts, whereas the tenth is humming the melody of Tetris (Type-A).. That's fine, I really like Tetris.👍

Enjoy your mental polyphony and, if you can expand it, then maybe that tenth voice can find a virtual balalaika to accompany it .

Cheers!

Reply 49 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
darry wrote on 2021-04-01, 08:21:
Jo22 wrote on 2021-04-01, 08:10:

Enjoy your mental polyphony and, if you can expand it, then maybe that tenth voice can find a virtual balalaika to accompany it .

Cheers!

That's the spirit! ^^

Merci.

Hezus wrote on 2021-04-01, 08:01:

It would be good news for all of us if you could share said driver 😉

Sure, gladly. 😁

PS: Simply run it with CAT /5 for maximum speed..

Edit: Happy April Fool's Day everyone! 😄

Attachments

• Filename
    mouse_cdrom.zip
    File size
    8.56 KiB
    Downloads
    186 downloads
    File comment
    MOUSE / CD-ROM driver (Microsoft)
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

//My video channel//

Reply 50 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I might have to once again correct my findings about VIDE-CDD. Loading it low may have been a red herring in my case, I am still having issues with this particular system.

EDIT: Yep, even when VIDE-CDD was loaded low and the EMS driver was NOT loaded the CDROM was still having issues. So I physically removed the EMS board and loaded VIDE-CDD high again, and all is well. So the issues really were from a hardware problem with the EMS board in this system. The CDROM works perfectly now with VIDE-CDD loaded HIGH!

Reply 51 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-04-02, 00:50:

I might have to once again correct my findings about VIDE-CDD. Loading it low may have been a red herring in my case, I am still having issues with this particular system.

EDIT: Yep, even when VIDE-CDD was loaded low and the EMS driver was NOT loaded the CDROM was still having issues. So I physically removed the EMS board and loaded VIDE-CDD high again, and all is well. So the issues really were from a hardware problem with the EMS board in this system. The CDROM works perfectly now with VIDE-CDD loaded HIGH!

Hm. Could it be that Vide-CDD somehow conflicted with the EMS page frame then ? Or something along these lines ? 😕
I wonder, what would happen if another EMS manager like EMM286/3MM386 was in charge ?

//My video channel//

Reply 52 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, when the driver is not loaded the card does not have a page frame. It's software configured.

Again the card simply being in the system was breaking the cdrom, regardless of where VIDE-CDD was loaded in memory

Reply 53 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-04-02, 14:18:

No, when the driver is not loaded the card does not have a page frame. It's software configured.

Again the card simply being in the system was breaking the cdrom, regardless of where VIDE-CDD was loaded in memory

Ah I see. Didn't know that, assumed the EMS frame was perhaps set via DIP switches somehow. 😅

//My video channel//

Reply 54 of 115, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, did the drivers work that I posted a while ago ? - I'm curious. 😁
I've got a few more on older diskettes. If there's a need for them, I'll make a copy.

//My video channel//

Reply 55 of 115, by 1541

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

your posted CD driver is labeled "Microsoft CD-ROM Driver, Version 1.1"

I found this piece of information here:

CD-ROM extensions Microsoft CD-ROM driver versions 1.0 through 2.0 will work only up to DOS 3.3 […]
Show full quote

CD-ROM extensions
Microsoft CD-ROM driver versions 1.0 through 2.0 will
work only up to DOS 3.31. DOS 4.0 and up require 2.1
drivers. MSCDEX abandons INT 13; and redirection
within DOS to do its work. Some LAN software, such as
LANtastic, uses the same mechanism to implement
network drives. MSCDEX provides IFS functionality in
any version of DOS back to 3.0.

https://mikro.naprvyraz.sk/docs/Coding/PC/DOSREF33.TXT

💾 Windows 9x resources (drivers, tools, NUSB,...) 💾

Reply 56 of 115, by matze79

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sure it does not allocate something then ?
My Card has a ROM where it saves Configuration.
The Page Frame on my Card is still there even if Driver is not loaded.

https://www.retrokits.de - blog, retro projects, hdd clicker, diy soundcards etc
https://www.retroianer.de - german retro computer board

Reply 57 of 115, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have had issues with VIDE-CDD on a rare few systems too. Even though it was originally developed by Oak Tech for Acer many think it is best but is not the fix all.
I found different older versions of Oakcrom.sys would work ok and generally use the OAK 91 driver from 1997 (41k) for those stubborn systems that dislike VIDE.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 58 of 115, by zapbuzz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

i forgot what it was called but there was a cdrom driver that did the contact tune through the floppy servo like this "bzzzt bzzzt bzzt buuzzt buuuzt ..... bzzzt bzzzt"
any one have it? i miss it!

Reply 59 of 115, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
matze79 wrote on 2021-06-03, 21:06:
Sure it does not allocate something then ? My Card has a ROM where it saves Configuration. The Page Frame on my Card is still th […]
Show full quote

Sure it does not allocate something then ?
My Card has a ROM where it saves Configuration.
The Page Frame on my Card is still there even if Driver is not loaded.

Yes I'm sure, I've probed around in debug

I ultimately resolved the issue by switching IDE cards. Now the CDROM and EMS card are happily coexisting with VIDE-CDD loaded high and the page frame enabled