LU1zERI.jpg

PS/2 cable:
t1geyRZ.jpg

AT cable:
Ad7bV5W.jpg
(sorry for the mess)

PS/2 is 25cm (9.8 inches)
AT is 50cm (18.6 inches)
The different length is something I have to adopt to. Those are the cables of sufficiently high quality I managed to procure for cannibalization.
Assembled cables work fine. PS/2 shaft is a bit longer than standard, but it sits in the port quite nicely.

I've encountered a minor unanticipated issue: the cables are of too high quality and are a bit too thick for 4p4c crimp. I have to brute force them into the jack. But then again, if I have hard time cramming the lead in - you'll have less chance of accidentally yanking them out.

Thick black wires make the whole thing feel... expensive. I don't know why - it is perception thing, which is quite surprising.

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 164 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SITREP

I crimped some wires and put them aside for safe storage in a trusty beer jug:
5exp06J.jpg

Also, lookie here what I've got in mail:
s2UGzSs.jpg
Fully assembled PCBs! Yeah!
I have had no chance to flash and test those, but it looks like those should have no issues.

Now sad part:
1. I underestimated my capability to crimp wires erroneously... Also some wires are colored differently - those had to be tested prior attaching each jack.
Some of the wires may be shorter than others by 1-2 cm as I may have had to re-crimp those. Also I ran out of 4p4c jacks to finalize all AT-cables (I now have only 8 ).
2. CNC guy is away till 17th of May and can't accept cases for milling...

I think I've developed a nervous giggle triggered whenever I hear of new delays. 😮

Want to play MS-DOS keyboard-only games with a gamepad? Feel free to purchase Volo's Pad-to-PS/2 by writing me an e-mail:
3hUGsDI.png

Reply 167 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Slight update.
Test-fitted a random PCB into the case - fits like hand in glove.

Tried to flash it. It flashed, but does not work with PS/2 keyboard for some reason.
Need to get cables out of the mug, pour beer into it and consider the reasons of the problem. Hopefully it is one-off issue.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 169 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

False alarm! I was too sober when flashing the device.
Substituting beer with wires is generally considered a bad idea.

We are a back on track. Tomorrow I'm making arrangements with the CNC-milling guy.

UPD. Daisy chained two adapters together. They work! You can have crazy Bomberman mayhems.
Now to test the thing with Model M...

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 175 of 293, by Kyosho

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hadn't thought about this thing in a while. Really glad to see all the progress you've made. Can't wait to hopefully get my hands on one!

Last edited by Kyosho on 2021-06-26, 13:28. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 176 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Still not dead.

The shells were handed over to the CNC person early last week. I've told him to take his time to ensure quality. I'm afraid he might have taken my wish creatively.

I'm playing with daisy chained devices. I'm afraid such configuration is unstable (rebinding the electric centipede occasionally causes some part of it to crash).
Must be due to devices being perfectly in sync. I am looking into it. I hope it is a minor bug in queuing the passthrough.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-05-27, 02:31. Edited 1 time in total.

3hUGsDI.png

Reply 177 of 293, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Awesome work, man! 😀

Just remember: Perfect is the enemy of Good. 😉 If you can't get passthrough working in this version, you can always implement that in a future revision.

Reply 179 of 293, by Volo

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry. A bit of "live" intervened (who ever invites this "life" thing?).
I've lost my access to project e-mail for a week or two. Shall answer all outstanding messages shortly.
CNC guy still has had no chance to do the cases.

3hUGsDI.png