VOGONS

Startech PS2 Header from ebay pinout

Topic actions

First post, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I finally put a multimeter to the star tech PS2 header, the one with the 5x2 block on ebay popping up everywhere, i tested continuity and matched the wire colors to the pins, i hope it helps someone

Disreguard, upon further research including my own, this no longer matters

Last edited by candle_86 on 2020-05-18, 12:37. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks ! and it figures.... bought two a month or so ago and now cannot find them 🙁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 21, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-17, 15:16:

I finally put a multimeter to the star tech PS2 header, the one with the 5x2 block on ebay popping up everywhere, i tested continuity and matched the wire colors to the pins, i hope it helps someone

startech pinout.png

Thanks, very useful information

Horun wrote on 2020-05-17, 15:39:

Thanks ! and it figures.... bought two a month or so ago and now cannot find them 🙁

Don't worry, you will find them just the minute the mail arrives with the two new replacements you buy for them 😁

Edit: fixed some silliness.

Last edited by aha2940 on 2020-05-17, 16:45. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh the pinout is for the PS2 port itself, and colors provided so you can rewire the header to fit your need, dont use the pinout as what matches the header block

Reply 4 of 21, by aha2940

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:28:

Oh the pinout is for the PS2 port itself, and colors provided so you can rewire the header to fit your need, dont use the pinout as what matches the header block

You are correct, thanks for pointing it out. Don't know what I was thinking, fixed my previous post.

Reply 5 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
aha2940 wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:45:
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-17, 16:28:

You are correct, thanks for pointing it out. Don't know what I was thinking, fixed my previous post.

No problem I don't want anyone killing a board, but this should help anyone to rewire one. I did this for my Asus txp4

Reply 6 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-17, 17:39:

No problem I don't want anyone killing a board, but this should help anyone to rewire one. I did this for my Asus txp4

I bought them for a P55TP4 and a P6NP5. Must be Asus season 😁.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 7 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2020-05-17, 18:37:
candle_86 wrote on 2020-05-17, 17:39:

I bought them for a P55TP4 and a P6NP5. Must be Asus season 😁.

this is my TXP4 pinout if it helps you, dunno if ASUS used the same one across all their AT boards,

txp4 ps2.png
Filename
txp4 ps2.png
File size
32.08 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

5V is pin 9 fyi

Reply 8 of 21, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The P6NP5 has it's pinout in the manual and following your color scheme is like this, think the P55TP4 is exact same
edit: yes P55TP4N and P55TP4X are exact same as P6NP5. Am going to use my VM to make sure the Vcc and GND is where the manual states, those would be the killer pins ;p

Attachments

• P6NP5_ps2.jpg
    Filename
    P6NP5_ps2.jpg
    File size
    9.32 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 9 of 21, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

there's a major misunderstanding here, the colors on these startech headers are completely arbitrary and it's always mandatory to check each invidiual one. on mine it's red GND, brown data, yellow VCC and green clock, but many other variations have been posted here: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header

what i've done with mine is to remove the black plastic piece and just put same color jumper wires on the pins, isolating the connections with electrical tape, so that i can use the same header on different mainboards without hassle. the little plastic tabs holding the pins in place tend to break quickly anyway after rewiring 2-3 times.

Reply 10 of 21, by candle_86

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
auron wrote on 2020-05-18, 04:17:

there's a major misunderstanding here, the colors on these startech headers are completely arbitrary and it's always mandatory to check each invidiual one. on mine it's red GND, brown data, yellow VCC and green clock, but many other variations have been posted here: PS/2 Bracket for Asus Motherboard Header

what i've done with mine is to remove the black plastic piece and just put same color jumper wires on the pins, isolating the connections with electrical tape, so that i can use the same header on different mainboards without hassle. the little plastic tabs holding the pins in place tend to break quickly anyway after rewiring 2-3 times.

well damn, sometimes i hate these companies

Reply 12 of 21, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote on 2021-02-07, 04:39:

Since this question has come up a lot, I finally made a video here: https://youtu.be/rFQx8EMc3Mw

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm currently trying to rewire a PS2 header to fit a PC Chips M571 motherboard, and your video was very helpful.

My problem is that the connector that the PS2 bracket came with has six sockets in a single row, while the motherboard has 2 rows of 4 pins. I'm guessing I'll need to source a 2 row connector from somewhere.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 13 of 21, by Artex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-26, 11:22:
Artex wrote on 2021-02-07, 04:39:

Since this question has come up a lot, I finally made a video here: https://youtu.be/rFQx8EMc3Mw

Just wanted to say thanks for this. I'm currently trying to rewire a PS2 header to fit a PC Chips M571 motherboard, and your video was very helpful.

My problem is that the connector that the PS2 bracket came with has six sockets in a single row, while the motherboard has 2 rows of 4 pins. I'm guessing I'll need to source a 2 row connector from somewhere.

Awesome! Happy to help! Yes, you'd need at least a two-row connector if there are two rows of pins on your MB header. Some headers have a single row but I'm not sure about your board specifically.

My Retro B:\ytes YouTube Channel & Retro Collection
LihnlZ.jpg

Reply 14 of 21, by PARKE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-26, 11:22:

A set of Dupont connectors is for me almost a must in this hobby:
shorturl.at/erwG0

Reply 15 of 21, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Artex wrote on 2021-05-26, 13:19:

Awesome! Happy to help! Yes, you'd need at least a two-row connector if there are two rows of pins on your MB header. Some headers have a single row but I'm not sure about your board specifically.

The pinout for the PS2 headers on the M571 is available here.

A somewhat unorthodox idea came to me, but I'm not sure if it's feasible so I'd like to run it by you guys. What if I get some male to female jumper cables (i.e. such as these) and simply use them to hook up the connector to the corresponding pins on the motherboard (male end goes into the connector, female end to the motherboard pins). Would that work?

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 16 of 21, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Or if you've got any old long tailed wire wrap sockets around you could slip insulation sleeve over the pins, cut them up for 2x3 or 1x6, to plug into board, then bend and trim pins into shape to plug into cable. Or rig it on perfboard.

I did see a surplus store having a crap ton of NOS startech stuff a couple of months ago but can't remember which or where.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 18 of 21, by auron

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-26, 14:26:

A somewhat unorthodox idea came to me, but I'm not sure if it's feasible so I'd like to run it by you guys. What if I get some male to female jumper cables (i.e. such as these) and simply use them to hook up the connector to the corresponding pins on the motherboard (male end goes into the connector, female end to the motherboard pins). Would that work?

well yeah, if you read my older post here, that's exactly the method i've described.

Reply 19 of 21, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fgenesis wrote on 2021-05-26, 15:17:

I've looked for these for a long time but they seem unavailable all the time. So if anything turns up, please post.

I don't know where you are located, but for me, in Canada, going to the usual "auction site that shall not be named" and searching for "ps2 bracket" does give multiple results .

Granted, they are not cheap (25ish CAN$ with shipping), not necessarily Startech branded and will require determining the pinout before rewiring as needed .

Another option is making an adapter yourself using a 6-pin female mini-DIN connector .