VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've recently played through Half-Life WON v1.0.1.6 on my Intel Quad Core/Windows XP machine. With the exception of one bizarre issue, it worked perfectly from start to finish. The problem occurs in two locations: the trash compactor in Apprehension and the flooded machine room in Power Up. During the trash compactor scene the large, gray walls of the compactor do not move. The trap functions properly (the boxes get crushed and the collision for the walls moves) but, visually, the walls are stationary.

I believe the same issue affects the water being drained in the machine room during Power Up. When you drain the flooded room by clearing a blockage in the machine, the water, rather than gradually draining, simply pops out of existence.

I started with v1.0.0.9 and patched all the way up to 1.0.1.6 but the issue persists. I want to avoid using later versions because of all the feature regression but I did test 1.1.1.0 (the final retail patch) and the issue does NOT occur. I initially encountered the issue on XP but I did confirm that it occurs on win7 as well. It happens when using software mode and OpenGL. Is this a CPU issue? Framerate? OS?

Attachments

• compactor wall.jpg
    Filename
    compactor wall.jpg
    File size
    79.99 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Compactor crushes but the walls do not visibly move
    File license
    Public domain
  • water.jpg
    Filename
    water.jpg
    File size
    24.91 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Water does not visibly drain - just pops out instantly
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The trash compactor walls are simple func_trains and the water has very similar logic. Those entities are used a lot throughout the game so I find it odd that it only occurs in these particular instances.

Still, it's likely that this is a combination of engine and renderer issues. What graphics card do you have? You could try going back to an older video driver that has the same date code as HL v. 1.0.0.9. and see if that helps.

In any other case, the devs clearly fixed this issue with v. 1.1.1.0, so there is your answer to how to fix this. I know this might break some older mods, so you got to determine for yourself what is worth the most to you.

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 2 of 2, by Rodney Betters

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply. I've tried two graphics cards. The nvidia GTX580 and the ATI x850xt. The ATI card is the oldest card I have at the moment. Both exhibit the issue. I played through the game using software mode and, as far as I could tell, those were the only two instances of the issue. Other areas where water levels are changed worked fine and the trains in On A Rail worked as well.

The reason I wanted to avoid 1.1.1.0 was because I noticed that the lighting and weapons animations look better in older versions. Unless my eyes are playing tricks on me, the animations look clipped and don't seem to loop properly on the later patches.