Games you bought that bored you

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Titan Quest

My roomie wanted to play Diablo 2 multiplayer so I quickly got us both going and we played Diablo 2 over the weekend. I hadn't played Diablo 2 since it first came out but I quickly got back up to speed because it's well....Diablo. Not much to it. Anyways I can honestly say that if I wasn't playing it multiplayer then I wouldn't be playing it at all. (Which is why I haven't touched it since it came out).

Anyways I noticed Titan Quest at Best Buy for $19 a couple of weeks ago and though it would be fun to play multipler.....unfortunately my roomate is only here on the weekends....and he didn't like it compared to Diablo 2 so that plan backfired. So I ended up playing the game myself....and I'm bored. Bored..bored..bored..bored....bored.

It just feels so...dumb. I click on an enemy, my character and summoned creatures attack. Repeat over and over again. Managing inventory is a PITA. (At least Dungeon Siege had a pack animal). So I don't even bother to pick anything up unless it's something special and you can't really determine what the heck the item actually is unless you pick it up.

I never bother selling stuff since the monsters drop so much money so there's no point in picking up stuff to sell anyway.

Sigh. What a disappointment. But I guess I have it in my collection if anyone ever wants to play multipler or if someone ever releases a TC to make this game fun.

In my entire 20year history of computer game and console gaming this has only happened twice before.

PainKiller

I picked this game up earlier this year because I'd heard so much about it. I never picked it up before because I always wait awhile before picking up games and it was just another FPS anyway. Well I pick it up and install it and start playing. The maps are pretty cool but kind of small. The graphics looks a bit better than Q3 but the characters are pretty cool. Unfortunately it's just the same thing over and over again. Shoot things...yay! I also hated the fact that I had to do lame things to kill the Boss's. It just feels so fake. Arrrgghh! Eventually I got so tired of this that I just used god mode and the all weapons cheat code and finished the game. The only reason I didn't just quit the game was so that I could check out the maps which were pretty cool.

Arcanum

Posted a thread earlier this year about it:
Arcanum is boring

Oh, I'm currently playing GTA: San Andreas on my PC. Having a blast!

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 1 of 25, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Titan Quest was quite repetitive, but I mananged to trudge through and complete it. An expansion is planned but if it's more of the same I will pass on it. I also gave up on trying to pick up any loot, except for the blue magic items or potions.

One I remember beiing bored with was an old Atari/C64/Apple II title called Alternate Reality: The City. There was also a PC version that came out years later. There were several modules planned for it, and The City was supposed to get you started, but most platforms never saw the second module released. Basically all you could do was wander around the city and fight whatever you came across. You couldn't join the guilds, cast spells, or do much of anything. It was supposed to be preparation for The Dungeon, the second module, but by itself it felt like an unfinished product.

Another one that bored me fast was Dungeon Hack. It was supposed to be randomly generated dungeons similar to the Eye of the Beholder series, but seemed lacking in substance. After playing through a few levels I was bored and never returned to it.

Reply 2 of 25, by [vEX]

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fade To Black, bought it really cheap since it's in a sence is the sequel to Flashblack. I really hated it and never played more than five minutes of it.

Antec P182B | Asus P8Z77-V PRO | Intel i5 3570k | 16GB DDR3 | 4TB HDD | Pioneer BDR-207D | Asus Xonar DX | Altec Lansing CS21 | Eizo EV2736W-BK | Arch Linux (64-bit/x86_64)

Reply 3 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Suprisingly, the first Age of Wonders bored me to death. Probably because each individual turn is WAY too short (there's not much you can do in a single turn), while it takes forever to wait for the AIs to finish their turn!

That's too bad, because AoW is supposed to be the remake of Master of Magic (read: my favorite game ever).

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I'm comitting a crime or at least I'm shooting my hard earned respect:
Baldur's Gate!
I bought it and played it for about half an hour. I can't say why exactly but it bored me a lot. I'm probably just too much accustomed to Ultima 7 😀

This leads me directly to
Divine Divinity
phew, this was praised by someone on the Exult forum as close to U7. Humbug. Boring. Another game I shouldn't have bought. At least this one came out of the bargain bin (I'm only buying from that one nowadays, cutting edge games don't move me anymore)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 25, by franpa

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sonic Adventure 1 DX - plays like crap, has frame skipping issue's and i blame winXP for frame skipping.

Sonic Heroes - very boring and controls way too sensitive.

Unreal Tournament 2004 - single player sux balls because no patch to fix the most annoying AI glitch, the original UT whoops the crap outta this game in both offline and online play.

Dungeon Keeper 2 - plays like crap, anyone that says it plays like the original needs to be taken out the back and shot in the head.

WarCraft 3 and expansion - yes they have excellent top notch single player campaign, but apart from that the game is pretty damn boring... it plays like nothing to its prequel. (prequel?)

there are others... but can;t remember now.

AMD Ryzen 3700X | ASUS Crosshair Hero VIII (WiFi) | 16GB DDR4 3600MHz RAM | MSI Geforce 1070Ti 8GB | Windows 10 Pro x64.

my website

Reply 6 of 25, by StickByDos

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ultima VIII: Pagan
Too much time to wait for loading/saving
Crash too often

Oni
Too easy to be killed, I managed to finish it with a trainer

Type win to loose the power of your computer !

Reply 7 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Almost any FPS I bought got old real quick; from Quake II to Return to Castle Wolfenstein to Doom3. In fact, the only "FPS" that is not boring is the early Delta Force series.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....

Reply 8 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Quake1/2/3/4/Doom 3 were all boring

Doom1/2/RTCW/Duke3D were not. It's been forever since I played RTCW though and I only played it once. I can always play Doom1/2/Duke3D without losing interest.

I was never able to get into the Delta Force series. Probably because they are too realistic and I usually hate to play games that are too realistic (R6/DF) or have an educational slant like Age of Empires\Civilization.

I might let Civilization slide though.....going to give it a shot sometime.

Reply 9 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DosFreak wrote:

I was never able to get into the Delta Force series. Probably because they are too realistic and I usually hate to play games that are too realistic

Come on, bro. Early Delta Force series are not that realistic (one person slaughtering an entire camp? Come on!), and they're actually quite fun! Well of course few shots will kill you immediately, and you need stealth and long-range sniping instead of running with guns blazing like in Quake, but they're not as frustrating as say, Thief. See, they're more like MicroProse's Airborne Ranger, only in 3D!

Another nice touch is that you can have squadmates to accompany you in your mission, but while they're quite intelligent, I'm a tad disappointed with the feature because the commands you can issue to them are not as effective like those in flightsim. Ah well, nothing is perfect.

Certain mission seems to be impossible, of course. An example is the one in Delta Force 2 when you're supposed to stop a limousine with Indonesian flag, but they key is selecting the right weapon to do the job. See, the default weapon for that one mission is an M-60 GPMG, but it is very difficult to even survive with that weapon because the enemies are sniping you from the long distance, so I changed it to a sniper rifle, and I won the mission easily!

Reply 12 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

BTW, I can't believe nobody has mentioned Sierra's Outpost yet. 😉

Reply 13 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never played Outpost but I did play Outpost 2 when it came out. Thought it wasn't too bad really.

Reply 14 of 25, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hmm. Lets take a look *takes a good hard stare at cd rack.* I'll have to say (I can feel the flame posts coming 😀 ) World of Warcraft, I played it for the first month but the community is terrible. Along with:
Icewind dale 2
Dungeon siege

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 15 of 25, by flux

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry double post 😖 .

Almost any FPS I bought got old real quick; from Quake II to Return to Castle Wolfenstein to Doom3. In fact, the only "FPS" that is not boring is the early Delta Force series.

Have you tried Medal of honour: Allied assault? The thing that I really like about it is the online play (I Know some FPS are especially made for online play.) Going of topic for a second, I think that online play can increase a life span of a game by years (MOHAA was released in 2002.) And im sure people will still be playing Gears of war for awhile still.

Bernard: You have a machine whose sole function is producing toxic waste?
Dr. Fred: You can't have a high-tech laboratory like this and NOT spew poisonous filth! All the other mad scientists would laugh!

Reply 17 of 25, by SysGOD

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

one game that bored me alot was gothic 2.
when playing as a mage, the only way to recover mana is to use potions or herbs. but there are to few especially in the later game.
the skill system is to limited imo. no chance to play as a multi skilled character (battlemage or something...). also the later quests are everytime the same. most of them are "find item A and bring it back to person B". very motivating...

some other points are:
-stressful fights and to strong enemies.
-no character creation system
-to long and very dark nights
-to few skillpoints and lvl ups
-unmodified game has no quickload/save

the only good was the story but all in all, the most stressful and frustrating "rpg" ive ever played...

sysprofile.png

Reply 18 of 25, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I still keep Quake in a warm place in my heart 😀
At the time it came out I was working in a financial institute and I hated my job. All I did was get up int he morning, drive to work, work, drive back, cook and eat my dinner. Then I played two hours of Quake to get rid of my aggressions towards to other employees and customers 😀

Gothic 2 I bought two months ago from the bargain bin and will try it soonish 😀

Reply 19 of 25, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Dominus wrote:

I still keep Quake in a warm place in my heart 😀
At the time it came out I was working in a financial institute and I hated my job.

Some years ago I worked in a financial institute as management trainee, so yeah, I understand your frustration.

Dominus wrote:

Then I played two hours of Quake to get rid of my aggressions towards to other employees and customers 😀

Bah. No chainsaw. 🙁

Ah, back to the topic, Interactive Magic iM1A2 Abrams also got me bored --which is I don't understand since I'm a big fan of the original Microprose's Tank Platoon. 😖