VOGONS

90's 10/100 ethernet switch

Topic actions

Reply 100 of 133, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, when I was enrolled in computer education school back in 1993 we were using 10base-T Ethernet network cards and networks.
And they were suppose to be the latest tech.
Microsoft Windows servers, DOS, Novell servers, Sun Microsystems, SGI, and Apple computers all working fine on 10base-T network.
Using many protocols.

We never had a problem.

Last edited by Intel486dx33 on 2021-05-27, 17:09. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 101 of 133, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:02:

Well, when I was enrolled in computer education school back in 1993 we were using 10base-T Ethernet network cards and networks.
And they were suppose to be the latest tech.

I believe it was at the time. Prior to that it 10Base2 with Thicknet trunks. At Airstaff Logistics our network was running 10Base2 in 1992.

At home it was mainly null modem cables for file transfer between systems.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 102 of 133, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-05-27, 16:53:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-27, 16:45:

But obviously it was guided by Cisco from its beginning later to be acquired by Cisco.

obviously you made this up

Lynksys was purchased by Cisco in 2003

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 103 of 133, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:16:

and in 2013 Belkin purchased Linksys 😀

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 104 of 133, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-05-27, 16:44:

My personal opinion is that, in a retro PC context, network connectivity is not unlike electrical power, as both are utilitarian in nature and should be transparent to the experience if everything works well, safely and reliably .

I think for me it probably depends on if the switch or hub is seen. If there's a nice blue metal Netgear box and blinking lights sitting on a desk or bookshelf, and it fits with the rest of the retro setup then I think that'd be better than a brand new box. If it's sitting in a wiring cupboard, then I wouldn't mind either way. So, yes, utilitarian, but I think only until it stops being invisible, at which point it becomes part of the feel of the system. After all, the network is the computer.

Points to consider in that comparison :
a) Are vintage Ethernet cables and vintage power cables significant in the retro experience ?

At least half of the connectors should have their plastic tabs snapped off after having been pulled backward through a rats nets of cables, ideally leaving one pair with an intermittent connection, otherwise it's not real.

c) Are retro power strips significant in the retro experience ?

Another one where I think it depends on if it's seen or interacted with. Still have a chunky grey power strip from the late '90s, complete with surge protection for the telephone line to protect the modem. Along with the warranty to replace any equipment damaged in the event that the protection fails.

OTOH, would I actively search out an authentic retro power strip if I didn't still have one? Probably not. Would I search out a floppy drive rather than use a gotek? Probably yes, even given they're far less reliable.

Reply 105 of 133, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
snufkin wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:24:

At least half of the connectors should have their plastic tabs snapped off after having been pulled backward through a rats nets of cables, ideally leaving one pair with an intermittent connection, otherwise it's not real.

On that note... be sure to stick to cat3 or cat4 cable. No fancy Cat5 !

Do not ask Why !

Reply 106 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2021-05-27, 11:54:
always network all your retro rigs! 1) Its a nice little challenge to get Dos/Win3x to talk to XP or beyond if your really brav […]
Show full quote

always network all your retro rigs!
1) Its a nice little challenge to get Dos/Win3x to talk to XP or beyond if your really brave.
2) file transfers just make life so easy, even with modern convinces like gotek or CF cards network once up and running wins.
3) its cool and impresses girls
4) opens up lan gaming, even if you don't have any friends (which you will thanks to point 3)

If you own a V1, V2, V5 that's at least 3 retro rigs your going to have in the future, I'd be planning ahead 😀

Hehehehe!!! Great points!

1. I got my last 486 to talk to Windows 7 with that 10mbit ISA card and with a networked drive on my Windows 7 box.
2. I completely agree! If the machines are on, it is definitely easier and quicker to drag and drop files over the LAN.
3. My girlfriend missed out on a lot of this stuff and she has been watching me build these retro boxes. She said that she wants to try some of the old games out and play some MP games.
4. I'm looking forward to this. My one friend from back in the day still visits when he comes home from being on the road. He is looking forward to MP games of Blood and Warcraft II.

My V1, V2, and V5 are in the same box, hehehe!!! I need to buy a couple of V1's for the P1 boxes, and I have a V3 for when I recreate my old Gateway (though instead of a P3 450, I am using a 550 and 128mb of RAM rather than the 64mb I had - those are in my current P3, but I ordered a P3 600 and 512mb of RAM for the P2B box.) The P2B box is designed to play every game from 1980-2000 (and some up to about 2002 with low system requirements,) using the Win 3.x SVGA patch, an AWE card, a Live! card, glide files for the proper Voodoo card in each game directory, and Moslo Deluxe. I may also buy Moslo 4biz for the CF card that will be set up for Windows 95 OSR2 - I want to emulate Pentium 60-233 and some P2 systems for Windows 95 games. The DOS/WFW card will use Moslo Deluxe, and the Windows 98 card will be without any slowdown utilities. I'll attach a serial modem and various external drives (LS120, Zip, etc.) and a retro color laser printer to complete the system's functionality. It is my most exotic system. There is a seller on ebay who sells case badges and stickers for just about everything (including recreated Best Buy Y2K warning labels about shutting computers off before midnight between December 31 1999 and January 1, 2000, hehehe!!!) The case stickers look like they are the same size as SD card labels, so I'll buy from him to put OS labels on the cards.

Reply 107 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-27, 14:55:
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-26, 15:21:

I find it odd that you can hook up serial dial-up modems, but not serial-NICs; that serial-NICs were apparently never made or are rare. I know it would be ssllooww, but it would be better than nothing.

They exist, I have got one somewhere. Never had it running though. Very rare... in fact I think it was so rare that I gave up trying to find drivers, or just didn't have the ambition to make it work, there's only one machine in the house I can't put a regular NIC into, and it's PS/2 55SX, and it's not one of my favorite "children". I may have grabbed it thinking it was gonna be useful on my iOpener, but got USB NICs and wifi now.

I wonder if any of the DOS USB drivers out there would provide network functionality in MS-DOS with USB-NIC..?

Reply 108 of 133, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
I think for me it probably depends on if the switch or hub is seen. If there's a nice blue metal Netgear box and blinking light […]
Show full quote

My personal opinion is that, in a retro PC context, network connectivity is not unlike electrical power, as both are utilitarian in nature and should be transparent to the experience if everything works well, safely and reliably .

I think for me it probably depends on if the switch or hub is seen. If there's a nice blue metal Netgear box and blinking lights sitting on a desk or bookshelf, and it fits with the rest of the retro setup then I think that'd be better than a brand new box. If it's sitting in a wiring cupboard, then I wouldn't mind either way. So, yes, utilitarian, but I think only until it stops being invisible, at which point it becomes part of the feel of the system. After all, the network is the computer.

a) Are vintage Ethernet cables and vintage power cables significant in the retro experience ?

Another one where I think it depends on if it's seen or interacted with. Still have a chunky grey power strip from the late '90s, complete with surge protection for the telephone line to protect the modem. Along with the warranty to replace any equipment damaged in the event that the protection fails.

OTOH, would I actively search out an authentic retro power strip if I didn't still have one? Probably not. Would I search out a floppy drive rather than use a gotek? Probably yes, even given they're far less reliable.

I agree about the the aesthetics/visibility aspect. Though not a factor for me as far as network equipment goes, it definitely does matter to many people (and TBH, who doesn't like a few "blinkenlights" here or there) .

For your answer to point a), I will not dispute the realism (ah, the memories), though I question the desirability (not my kink, if you'll pardon the cable related pun) .

For point c), there is another thing to consider and that is the risk of damage to connected equipment. Using old power strips is fine as long you are not expecting any advertised surge protection features (if any) to still work after years of use . The metal-oxide varistors (MOVs) typically used in surge protected power strips do wear out as they do their job of absorbing surges and eventually silently fail (power strip still works fin but no longer offers any surge protection) .

Reply 109 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-27, 15:03:
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-26, 15:21:

I was hoping that the router could translate for the serial port and provide an internet connection.

My best guess on that is that you need a null modem cable, possibly a "full" one, more than 3 wires, maybe 7. Then you probably need DHCP turned off on that router or it's gonna be trying to get IP from the box it's null modemed to... if it's a kind of stupid router, all network interfaces are just network interfaces, it might work out okay with SLIP or PPP (matching protocol to what router uses) but if it's too smart it might get in your way of "backfeeding" into the network like that. It's the sort of thing I could probably figure out by playing around, but can't tell you how to do.

I'm definitely going to experiment. Serial cables and null modem adapters are in my list of things to buy so that I have "everything" from that era. I wasn't aware that there were 3 and 7 wire versions. Thank you for providing that information; I'll include that in my research. I also scour youtube for videos to see if anyone else is trying these things. I am also hoping to get my hands on that Xircom Pocket Adapter, someday. That will allow the parallel route. I'm also buying Udemy classes and watching videos about soldering and making custom components, and x86 programming. Maybe someday I can just make something that will allow for a serial-to-ethernet connection that will allow internet browsing. I took a programming class in my late 30's/early 40's and grasped it with relative ease, and I can follow along and understand what is going on when watching videos.

Reply 110 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-27, 15:49:
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-27, 14:23:

Dont get a hub, get a switch.

The Network equipment that runs the World Wide Web Internet is “Cisco”.
I would go HP or Cisco for a good 10/100 switch from 1990’s

I agree with getting a switch... but limiting to HP or Cisco is silly.

IMO, limiting to a period correct switch is almost as silly. The newer stuff uses less power and runs cooler and the functionality is going to be the same.

The retro switch (probably going to be that 3Com or a similar 3Com device) is necessary for part of the time machine/museum experience and for maintaining aesthetics within the set up. The retro switch will probably receive it's connection from one of my more modern gigabit switches, as I beleive all of the ports on the cable modem are taken (but if not, I'll connect it directly to the modem.) I have enough ports on the gigabit switches that if I bought longer cables, I wouldn't need another switch. I just want a retro switch.

Reply 111 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
The degree of historical accuracy that a given person wants/needs in order to feel that the experience is authentic is definitel […]
Show full quote
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2021-05-27, 14:23:

Dont get a hub, get a switch.

The Network equipment that runs the World Wide Web Internet is “Cisco”.
I would go HP or Cisco for a good 10/100 switch from 1990’s

IMO, limiting to a period correct switch is almost as silly. The newer stuff uses less power and runs cooler and the functionality is going to be the same.

The degree of historical accuracy that a given person wants/needs in order to feel that the experience is authentic is definitely subjective, but I believe that we can all agree that there is such a thing as taking it too far, whether a retro hub/switch qualifies is, of course, subjective .

b) Is the age of the Ethernet switch/hub more or less significant the age of the electrical panel in the building in the retro experience ?

a) I have considered getting retro cabling. I would need only one long segment for the connection to the internet, and shorter ones to connect the retro boxes.
b) The age of the switch is significant for the look of it as compared to modern equipment and to the age and look of the retro machines and for recreating the past. The panel was just replaced and the entire house was rewired, for safety and efficiency. No more cloth covered wire!
c) Electricity, power cables, and power strips are ubiquitous - they haven't changed much between the 90's and now. Whereas networking cabling has changed, as has the equipment. More security, better efficiency, and pricing have all changed. The aesthetics have definitely changed.

I am eccentric and nostalgic enough that I actually have a corner of my living room with a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT TV and a small shelf with a NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, and Ps2 all set up, and will be adding a Gamecube with Gameboy Player, Wii, and an Atari 2600 - all for the same reasons I am working on the retro project. My girlfriend never got to experience a lot of this stuff, and she loves it. I bought the entire Highlander the Series set and we watched it on the TV in order to relive (for me) the experience from back then, in the way that it was intended. My sons also get to see how things were back then and they get to experience the 90's vicariously through me. It is neat for me, and educational and neat for them to experience it. My trucker buddy who got to experience some of this stuff is excited for visits where he can feel the nostalgia.

Reply 112 of 133, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:18:

I never understood how Belkin has even stayed in business. Almost every single piece of Belkin equipment I have ever had the misfortune of having to use has been complete and utter trash.

Their cables are also just crap cables with their brand name stuck on.

That being said, I do have a Belkin branded KVM switch that I have plans to hook up at some point. Got it for really cheap and it is supposed to be a pretty good KVM.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 113 of 133, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-27, 18:11:

I never understood how Belkin has even stayed in business. Almost every single piece of Belkin equipment I have ever had the misfortune of having to use has been complete and utter trash.

That being said, I do have a Belkin branded KVM switch that I have plans to hook up at some point. Got it for really cheap and it is supposed to be a pretty good KVM.

The more amazing thing for me is that there are many of those brand names which are just rebranding some generic company's equipment, sometimes it's almost the exact same device, same case, maybe slightly different components, diferent name in firmware and they all seem to be able to make money from it. The logic of economics smells funny.

Do not ask Why !

Reply 114 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
I think for me it probably depends on if the switch or hub is seen. If there's a nice blue metal Netgear box and blinking light […]
Show full quote

I forgot to mention that I am also considering buying those under-the-monitor power stations with switches for the PC, monitor, printer, aux... I had one back in 1993-1994. Those would definitely fit in with the experience. I also used to have an under-the-monitor set of Roland speakers, but I lost them in my last move and I have never found the same set on ebay or anywhere else.

I'm hoping to work on some youtube and Patreon projects to earn money from home with my creative skills. If it it is successful, I'll buy a place with a couple of extra rooms and I will go as far as to make everything in the room, period correct. The 1980's room with a Commodore 64, the 1990's room - all with furniture and everything else. The doorway would be like a time portal, hehehe!

Reply 115 of 133, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-27, 18:10:
a) I have considered getting retro cabling. I would need only one long segment for the connection to the internet, and shorter […]
Show full quote
The degree of historical accuracy that a given person wants/needs in order to feel that the experience is authentic is definitel […]
Show full quote

The degree of historical accuracy that a given person wants/needs in order to feel that the experience is authentic is definitely subjective, but I believe that we can all agree that there is such a thing as taking it too far, whether a retro hub/switch qualifies is, of course, subjective .

b) Is the age of the Ethernet switch/hub more or less significant the age of the electrical panel in the building in the retro experience ?

a) I have considered getting retro cabling. I would need only one long segment for the connection to the internet, and shorter ones to connect the retro boxes.
b) The age of the switch is significant for the look of it as compared to modern equipment and to the age and look of the retro machines and for recreating the past. The panel was just replaced and the entire house was rewired, for safety and efficiency. No more cloth covered wire!
c) Electricity, power cables, and power strips are ubiquitous - they haven't changed much between the 90's and now. Whereas networking cabling has changed, as has the equipment. More security, better efficiency, and pricing have all changed. The aesthetics have definitely changed.

I am eccentric and nostalgic enough that I actually have a corner of my living room with a 36" Sony Trinitron CRT TV and a small shelf with a NES, SNES, N64, Sega Genesis, Dreamcast, and Ps2 all set up, and will be adding a Gamecube with Gameboy Player, Wii, and an Atari 2600 - all for the same reasons I am working on the retro project. My girlfriend never got to experience a lot of this stuff, and she loves it. I bought the entire Highlander the Series set and we watched it on the TV in order to relive (for me) the experience from back then, in the way that it was intended. My sons also get to see how things were back then and they get to experience the 90's vicariously through me. It is neat for me, and educational and neat for them to experience it. My trucker buddy who got to experience some of this stuff is excited for visits where he can feel the nostalgia.

I would actually like to have a setup somewhat like this but don't currently have the room.

Here are a few more retro 10/100 switches on eBay:
3-COM 8-port - beige
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284307499052

D-Link - Silver, Grey and Blue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401791216363

C-Net 8-port - beige (rectangle):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303913027301

C-Net 5-port- beige - slopey:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283878547380

All but the 3-COM are BIN for $10 or less.

These are the best looking ones I saw with a quick search on eBay for "10/100 switch -10/100/1000" and then sort them by price low to high.

Just pick one and be done with it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 116 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:50:
I agree about the the aesthetics/visibility aspect. Though not a factor for me as far as network equipment goes, it definitely d […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I agree about the the aesthetics/visibility aspect. Though not a factor for me as far as network equipment goes, it definitely does matter to many people (and TBH, who doesn't like a few "blinkenlights" here or there) .

For your answer to point a), I will not dispute the realism (ah, the memories), though I question the desirability (not my kink, if you'll pardon the cable related pun) .

For point c), there is another thing to consider and that is the risk of damage to connected equipment. Using old power strips is fine as long you are not expecting any advertised surge protection features (if any) to still work after years of use . The metal-oxide varistors (MOVs) typically used in surge protected power strips do wear out as they do their job of absorbing surges and eventually silently fail (power strip still works fin but no longer offers any surge protection) .

I forgot to mention that our electrician is going to install a whole-house surge protector on our panel. The entire house is rewired, and all he has left to do is install that, and run power to an out building and install an exterior light and a motion light. I'm going to eventually install a structured media panel and run CAT cable throughout the entire house with wall jacks on every wall, and build a modern server alongside the retro server (still thinking dual P3's for that.) I looked up Cat5 and it came out 1995, so using it will be perfect for the retro project. Cat5e came out in 2001 and is thus disqualified for the retro LAN.

Reply 117 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-27, 18:11:
I never understood how Belkin has even stayed in business. Almost every single piece of Belkin equipment I have ever had the mis […]
Show full quote
weedeewee wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:18:

I will probably make a thread about seeking the earliest 4 port KVM with audio that was ever made. I know KVMs have been around for a long time, but I don't know when they started including audio. I am having a more difficult time finding manufacture dates for KVMs...

Reply 118 of 133, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-05-27, 18:28:
I would actually like to have a setup somewhat like this but don't currently have the room. […]
Show full quote
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-27, 18:10:
a) I have considered getting retro cabling. I would need only one long segment for the connection to the internet, and shorter […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I would actually like to have a setup somewhat like this but don't currently have the room.

Here are a few more retro 10/100 switches on eBay:
3-COM 8-port - beige
https://www.ebay.com/itm/284307499052

D-Link - Silver, Grey and Blue:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/401791216363

C-Net 8-port - beige (rectangle):
https://www.ebay.com/itm/303913027301

C-Net 5-port- beige - slopey:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/283878547380

All but the 3-COM are BIN for $10 or less.

These are the best looking ones I saw with a quick search on eBay for "10/100 switch -10/100/1000" and then sort them by price low to high.

Just pick one and be done with it.

Thank you for the links, I appreciate your efforts!

Reply 119 of 133, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Scythifuge wrote on 2021-05-27, 19:12:
darry wrote on 2021-05-27, 17:50:
I agree about the the aesthetics/visibility aspect. Though not a factor for me as far as network equipment goes, it definitely d […]
Show full quote
Show full quote

I forgot to mention that our electrician is going to install a whole-house surge protector on our panel. The entire house is rewired, and all he has left to do is install that, and run power to an out building and install an exterior light and a motion light. I'm going to eventually install a structured media panel and run CAT cable throughout the entire house with wall jacks on every wall, and build a modern server alongside the retro server (still thinking dual P3's for that.) I looked up Cat5 and it came out 1995, so using it will be perfect for the retro project. Cat5e came out in 2001 and is thus disqualified for the retro LAN.

That is reassuring to read (regarding electricity). Also, now that I know more about what you have in mind, your desire to use retro networking gear makes a lot more sense to me . Increasing the retro scope to room decor will definitely add something special to the setup .

Best of luck in your project . Looking forward to seeing video and/or photos of the end result .