VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What is this forum doing to me??

Less than two months ago I wrote in my very first post :

I realized I don't really have enough love for retro IBM PCs as I thought... I kinda remembered how bulky and heavy and noisy they are and any vague impulse for rebuilding one went down the drain...
If it was an old system I never had, like an Amiga or an old Apple, then yes, totally. But an old PC is not for me anymore...

Fast forward to this week and I am in desperate need of getting a 486 to play FastDoom 😀 ... calling hoarder acquaintances and visiting old repair shops in a crazy quest for something I supposedly dont't have enough time to spend on...

I mean, I was going in the completely opposite direction: small and not huge!
That' s what all my SBC's and ITX were bought for !!!

You must be spreading some kind of Bio-Retro-Virus, or some black Voodoo magic, with all your vasts amounts of knowledge, links, great YT Channels and cool community...

Gosh... I'll go to the attic now and see if I can find a little box with old CPUs, to treasure them "Gollum style" while seeking to buy an ISA card like the many I've given away long ago...

😀 😀 😀

Reply 1 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know right, I came because I had too much stuff, to figure out what was worth keeping, now I keep wanting to buy more stuff 🤣 Like Tandy 1000HX are cute, hmmmmm...

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 10, by The Serpent Rider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Fast forward to this week and I am in desperate need of getting a 486 to play FastDoom

Next you will attempt to overclock it to 200 Mhz.

I must be some kind of standard: the anonymous gangbanger of the 21st century.

Reply 4 of 10, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah... well, I won't risk it that much, but definitively will be pushing it a bit around, 🤣....

I can't believe I'm even considering the chance to pay 100 bucks for a floppy emulator. Insanity!!

Reply 5 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice to see young'n interested in old tech and kit. As well as new hardware being made for it. It wasn't that long along that talking about pre Pentium 1s was fround apon on Vogons.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 6 of 10, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Insanity ... unlike our other human hobbies, such as sucking dead dinosaur paste from a mile underground so we can burn it and set off 5000 mini-bombs per minute in order to glide across the surface of the earth. And that's one of the tamer ones!

Reply 7 of 10, by AngryByDefault

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fast forward a second month and I already got a couple of seemingly quite decent Socket 7 + K6-2s kits, a CF card + adapter, an Awe64 ISA card, an S3 PCI video card (on the mail) and two S7 Cyrix processors!!

Ordered an SD to IDE adapter from across the globe with God knows when /if it will arrive.

Also scored some "collateral goodies" such as an old school noisy-rattling-yellowed-beige case and PCI and ISA nic cards. Plus, I dusted off two or three IDE drives from my "stuff with some potential" box...

Had to flash the BIOS of one of the mainboards as it came with an cripled Compaq one, managed to get Freedos (it's been great) booting from the CF card, with onboard sound and PCI network working like a charm!
Yet, so far, I have only scratched the surface of all the stuff I can tweak and test with all this...

Having a blast really....

Oh!! And my girl is starting to look at me "funny" 🤣 ...

Reply 9 of 10, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You WILL be assimilated....😉

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 10 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

... your technological incompetence will be added to our own, your living structure will be adapted to service PCs, resistance is futile.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.