What game are you playing now?

Topic actions

Reply 3040 of 5854, by Wolfus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-05-26, 13:13:
Wolfus wrote on 2021-05-26, 11:53:

DLCs for DS3 are... brutal. The only boss I managed to kill without co-op help was Gravetender. Other ones are just insane. I've beaten almost all "basic" bosses alone. I only summoned NPCs few times. Bosses like Demon Princes, Frieda or Gael was unbeatable for me 🙁

Same for me! I was able to beat Gravetender solo, but not any other boss in the DLC. Rather than summon for them, I just stopped playing haha. Maybe someday I'll revisit the DLC stuff. I might revist the whole series and do all the DLC at that time (never beat Manus in DS1, didn't even play the DLC for DS2 as I had just the standard edition on the PS3).

Yeah, I've also had basic DS2 for PS3 and then bouught Steam version of SotFS. It is much better ballanced (added bonfires, shortcuts and some items are replaced) and DLCs are great. DS2 is generally hated but I love it. It has the best replayability IMO.

Reply 3041 of 5854, by Jackhead

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Wizardry 6 on MS-DOS 6.22 (k6 3+ @500 with setmul@ min)

Dos 6.22: Asus VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 2.0 1Mb L2 - AMD A5x86 X5 ADZ 133MHz @160MHz - 64MB RAM - CT2230 - GUS ACE - MPU-401 AT - ET4000W32P
Win98SE: Asus P5K-WS - E8600 @ 4,5GHz - Strange God Voodoo 5 6000 PCI @ 66MHz PCI-X - 2GB DDR2 1066 - Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3042 of 5854, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Wolfus wrote on 2021-05-26, 13:22:

Yeah, I've also had basic DS2 for PS3 and then bouught Steam version of SotFS. It is much better ballanced (added bonfires, shortcuts and some items are replaced) and DLCs are great. DS2 is generally hated but I love it. It has the best replayability IMO.

The PC version is really great. DS2 gets a lack of flack from fans of the series, but I really enjoy it. It's got the best few opening areas in the series imo, and like you say it's great to replay. It also feels more like a connected world (like DS1) than DS3, though granted it's not as seamlessly connected as DS1.

Reply 3043 of 5854, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Stopped playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time as the combat got too hard. Switched to Freedom Fighters instead. There is a remaster of the former coming with difficulty control and reworked combat so I might play that instead.

Reply 3044 of 5854, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2021-05-27, 03:49:

Stopped playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time as the combat got too hard.

Which part is that? The Sands of Time is an easy game over all.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 3045 of 5854, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
RandomStranger wrote on 2021-05-27, 10:15:

Stopped playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time as the combat got too hard.

Which part is that? The Sands of Time is an easy game over all.

Just got to a battle where I was surrounded on all sides, kept getting knocked to the ground, enemies just kept spawning in. Was maddening.

Reply 3046 of 5854, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stopped playing Prince of Persia Sands of Time as the combat got too hard. Switched to Freedom Fighters instead. There is a remaster of the former coming with difficulty control and reworked combat so I might play that instead.

Sands of Time combat is a one trick pony, once you get the trick right every single encounter is a walk in the park (as far as I remember it had to do with endlessly sommersaulting over enemies and hitting them).

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 3047 of 5854, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
appiah4 wrote on 2021-05-27, 10:26:

Sands of Time combat is a one trick pony, once you get the trick right every single encounter is a walk in the park (as far as I remember it had to do with endlessly sommersaulting over enemies and hitting them).

This. ^^

Also, you can do that wall leap thing for those few enemies that can disrupt the somersault.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 3048 of 5854, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-05-05, 12:25:

That's awesome theirs nothing like family game time. My boys love playing PC games with us. My 6 year old has seriously gotten into Sim Safari and he's got quite the impressive 5 star Safari park. And my 22 month old loves watching his brother play it and he really loves when we play KSP and we make the rockets explode he get such a kick out of that.

Heheh, thanks. What is KSP, by the way?

In any case....

screen036.jpg
Spotted a P-38...

screen041.jpg
...and he was gone.

screen054.jpg
There goes another.

screen057.jpg
BOOM!

screen060.png
Going home.

Not too bad eh? Especially since my two years old was sitting on my lap when I played, jumping up and down in excitement while pointing, "PESAWAT! PESAWAT!" (pesawat means airplane in Bahasa Indonesia).

Nostromo-N50.jpg
The throttle device I was using.

This is my current throttle device, by the way. The default axis mapping for the scroller is rather odd, so I have to use Joystick Gremlin to map the scroller to the proper Z axis.

What game I was playing, by the way?

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 3049 of 5854, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It's Kerbal Space Program. It's a ton of fun it's a game where you build rockets and complete missions in space and explore the Kerbin solar system. Me and my boys love the game it was worth every penny.

https://www.kerbalspaceprogram.com/

Reply 3050 of 5854, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Baldur's Gate (PC)
I finally finished chapter 3, which is the furthest I've ever got in this game. I'm really enjoying it. Even though it's real-time with pause, it really does feel like playing a Gold Box game at times—not so much the ruleset (because both BG and Gold Box obviously use AD&D rules), but in how encounters are designed. The end of chapter 3 has you fighting a camp of brigands with the final battle taking place in a small tent. This limits your use of the overpowered Web spell (though it's probably possible to aim it just right so it doesn't affect your party too much), and you are faced with a couple of strong melee characters along with a somewhat powerful spellcaster and then another guy shooting poison arrows at you from afar. Like with the Gold Box games, careful selection and use of spells gets you through the battle without much trouble. I am beginning to appreciate the real-time with pause combat here; it's very cool sending your melee characters off to engage with an enemy while you pepper enemy spellcasters with arrows and magic missiles to disrupt spell casting. Yes, you basically do the same thing in the turn-based Gold Box engine, but it's very satisfying to see your party doing it all at once.

I gotta say, this game is really something special. A great open world RPG full of interesting encounters and locations—and although you just select areas to explore from a map, most of the areas are actually completely contiguous (in other words, you could remove the map from the game and it would still make sense; you aren't warping from one area to the next). I understand that BG2 is more plot-heavy and the areas don't really connect, and if so that's a bit of a shame.

Dark Souls (PC)
Having completed DS3 and thus the entire trilogy (and also Demon's Souls), I decided to start over with the first. I made a ton of progress in this over the last week, and am only a few areas from the end (and the DLC). Such a fun game! This is my third time through and I am still finding new stuff.

Bloodborne (PS Now)
This game will never be released for PC, and I am not gonna buy a PS4 just to play it. Then I found out that you can stream this game on the PS Now service. Surely it can't work? A difficult game like this that relies on timing? I gave it a try, and somehow it works. It's not perfect—gameplay is streamed at 720p with noticeable compression artifacts, and there is a noticeable input delay... but the delay is actually consistent, so you can get used to very quickly. It's not ideal but it's a hell of a lot better than paying $400 just to play a single game! I was able to take down both the optional and mandatory boss of the first area without much trouble, so the input delay is definitely something you can get used to.

I like the game a lot, but I think I would have been disappointed if I had spent $400 to play it. I miss having all the difference class builds from the Dark Souls series, and the world is really not very interesting visually. It actually reminds me Demon's Souls more than anything, as both games are dark and mostly gray/brown.

---

Jackhead wrote on 2021-05-26, 16:19:

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with this! I got halfway through the game a couple years ago, but got busy with other stuff and never completed it. I gotta get back into it one of these days, I really liked what I played.

Reply 3051 of 5854, by Namrok

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
newtmonkey wrote on 2021-05-28, 16:03:

I'd be interested in hearing your experiences with this! I got halfway through the game a couple years ago, but got busy with other stuff and never completed it. I gotta get back into it one of these days, I really liked what I played.

I think I beat WIzardry 6 last year? Or maybe the year before that? My favorite part of it was how sprawling, but interconnected, the map was. I think from the upper floors of the starting castle you can get descriptions of all the areas you'll eventually visit. Also the dialog system was a fun puzzle. I recall the class system being a real treat as well. Even if I didn't understand I needed to allocate skill points to the schools of spellcasting in order to unlock better spells for way, way too long.

Being able to save anywhere took some of the fun of pushing your luck out of it. On the other hand, certainly saves time making up for lost progress. Having only the single tileset, detailed as it was, was a bit rough. But there were enough text descriptions of areas to leverage my imagination to make up for it.

This actually reminds me, I have my party imported into Wizardry 7 ready to go... maybe I should start that up after Settlers II.

Win95/DOS 7.1 - P233 MMX (@2.5 x 100 FSB), Diamond Viper V330 AGP, SB16 CT2800
Win98 - K6-2+ 500, GF2 MX, SB AWE 64 CT4500, SBLive CT4780
Win98 - Pentium III 1000, GF2 GTS, SBLive CT4760
WinXP - Athlon 64 3200+, GF 7800 GS, Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 3052 of 5854, by Shreddoc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finished Wind Waker HD. I don't want to go all poetic or hyperbolic with praise, though I'm tempted. I've been a mostly-PC gamer for several decades, and in all that time I have very rarely had such an engaging, complete gaming experience. The story is a light, familiar touch (with layered depths, as implied in an earlier post here), but done so well.

I referenced a walkthrough on several occasions as I'm too old to fruitlessly search Entire Worlds during quests to luck upon The One Place you're supposed to be, at certain times - a trope common to entire genres of games, so not a complaint at all here. The cel-shading really grows on you, to the point where it's graphically a slight chore/downgrade to now go back and continue with other games of the era.

On to Twilight Princess HD now, I guess. Mighty "Zedlar" and his loyal "DasHross" shall quest anew! 🤣

Reply 3053 of 5854, by liqmat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that it's on GOG it's going to be a Mechwarrior 5 night for me tonight. According to all the reviews I've read the DLC makes the game, so that was purchased as well. Also keeping my RPG eyeballs on this one as well.

Reply 3054 of 5854, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I recommend a sound card with a PC Speaker header for a better aural experience. It's a long game (took me 111 hours when I beat it in 2019) but very addictive and satisfying. I did transfer my party over to 7 and then 8 and it was an epic adventure. It took almost exactly one year to complete the trilogy and 6 was the shortest of the three. 😀

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3055 of 5854, by clueless1

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
liqmat wrote on 2021-05-28, 22:25:

Also keeping my RPG eyeballs on this one as well.

Thanks for the heads up. Wishlisted.

The more I learn, the more I realize how much I don't know.
OPL3 FM vs. Roland MT-32 vs. General MIDI DOS Game Comparison
Let's benchmark our systems with cache disabled
DOS PCI Graphics Card Benchmarks

Reply 3056 of 5854, by NovaCN

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shreddoc wrote on 2021-05-28, 22:00:

Finished Wind Waker HD. I don't want to go all poetic or hyperbolic with praise, though I'm tempted. I've been a mostly-PC gamer for several decades, and in all that time I have very rarely had such an engaging, complete gaming experience. The story is a light, familiar touch (with layered depths, as implied in an earlier post here), but done so well.

I referenced a walkthrough on several occasions as I'm too old to fruitlessly search Entire Worlds during quests to luck upon The One Place you're supposed to be, at certain times - a trope common to entire genres of games, so not a complaint at all here. The cel-shading really grows on you, to the point where it's graphically a slight chore/downgrade to now go back and continue with other games of the era.

On to Twilight Princess HD now, I guess. Mighty "Zedlar" and his loyal "DasHross" shall quest anew! 🤣

Wind Waker actually has a sort of New Game+ mode if you ever find yourself wanting to go back to it. The only thing that carries over is the camera (to make getting pictures of early characters for the figurine quest a bit easier), but it allows you to play through the entire game in the blue pajamas from the start, and most notably, the characters who occasionally speak in ancient Hylian have that dialogue translated for you so you can understand what they were saying. It adds another subtle dimension to the story, in fact:

Spoiler

Your character is not the hero's reincarnation, as one might initially assume. He's just a regular kid who happens to share his name. This is, in my reading, part of the game's point about inheritance and legacy: everyone expects the old hero to return and fulfill destiny, but he's gone, vanished along with Hyrule, thus the duty instead falls to the new generation.

[Insert late-aughts overly-elaborate animated signature banner here]

Reply 3057 of 5854, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I should really play something more thought provoking but we're in another hard lockdown here so motivation is lacking and thoughts turn to the apocalypse - Fallout 4 to the rescue. I really can't get into the questing much but the world is great and the combat is lots of fun. I also find the process of cleaning up and setting up the settlements to be quite cathartic.

ScreenShot78.png
Filename
ScreenShot78.png
File size
1.77 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fallout4 2021-05-30 09-27-08.png
Filename
Fallout4 2021-05-30 09-27-08.png
File size
1.61 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
Fallout4 2021-05-29 16-24-05.png
Filename
Fallout4 2021-05-29 16-24-05.png
File size
1.43 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Life? Don't talk to me about life.

Reply 3058 of 5854, by newtmonkey

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I was in the midst of playing an OP melee character in Fallout 4, but lost interest. I should get back to that haha.

Baldur's Gate
I decided to break my rule (don't go anywhere unless someone tells me in game to do it) and I went and conquered the gnoll fortress. I ended up getting just enough XP to level my two mages up. Leveling up in AD&D1/2 is so satisfying for some reason, even though you don't really have any input other than assigning thief skills or weapons proficiencies for fighters. I like how much work it takes just to get a single level, and how much of a difference it can make. Same for Gold Box, same for Baldur's Gate.

Darks Souls Remastered
I put a bunch of time into this today. I ended up finishing most of the game (I could go fight the last boss if I wanted to), and then did basically all of the DLC content over a few sessions. I probably will not kill the optional DLC boss (Kalameet; I've tried fighting him before and he seems to be just an endurance test), but I'm right outside the door to the final DLC boss. Once I take him down, I'll go finish the game (for the third time).