VOGONS

First post, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I startd to tinker with the dumpsterdived socket 7 SiS 530 motherboard (from aptiva 2170) with cyrix MII 233. I managed to install win98SE no problem but em having now problems with 3D or lack of it from the onboard IGP.
I've tried video driver 530_108.zip from Phill's lab website and the same driver from official SiS http://w3.sis.com/download/ but no luck with d3D or openGL.
Searching the web did not give me any other option. Doas any one know what could be the problem ? I gather IGP doas have some sort of 3D capabileties.

Sadlly the board is only PCI/ISA no AGP and i don't have any PCI GPU's, em plannigh though to get a decent PCI GPU however where i live retro hardware is very scarse.

Reply 1 of 6, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to SiS datasheet 530 chipset supports 3d
"The A.G.P. internal interface is supported for integrated H/W 3D VGA controller. The
integrated VGA controller is a high performance and targeted at 3D graphics application. In
addition, the integrated 3D Video/Graphics controller adopts the 64bits 100MHz host bus
interface high technology to improve the performance eminently. To cost-effective the PC
system, the share system memory architecture will be adopted and it can flexibly using the
2MB, 4MB and 8MB frame buffer size from programming the system BIOS. To enhance the
system performance, SiS530 also supports the local frame buffer solution and memory sizes
can support up to 8MB with SDRAM and SGRAM"

Reply 2 of 6, by Ydee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I remember, there is SiS 6326 core graphics integrated? I have discrete 6326 on PC Chips M590 and for me work good this driver:

Attachments

Reply 3 of 6, by Blitz_25

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ydee, thanks for reply. I tried your driver however it did not work.

After some online search I found a fully working 530/5595 IGP driver on gigabyte website. It's an older version v1.06 (Phil's and SiS is v1.08) and from what it looks like it does actually contain d3D and OpenGL part of the driver.
Anyone interested driver can be downloaded here : https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-5SMM/ … t-dl-driver-vga , there you can also find ATA, sound and chipset drivers for SiS 530/5595.

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-05-29, 23:55. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 6, by SPBHM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

the sis 530 IGP is super awful, I had lots of trouble trying to run anything on it and when it did it was super slow, I just consider it a fine 2d adapter at this point,

I think the last version of the driver had some sort of OGL support but it's very broken, I highly doubt that as a 3d accelerator you will find much usefulness out of it.