Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 39220 of 52793, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2021-05-28, 10:50:

The serial mouse will mainly be used for testing purposes, but it can also serve as a backup option in case the PS2 bracket rewiring on my M571 motherboard fails. And the MMX 166 will serve as the heart of my dedicated DOS 6.22 + Win 3.11 build.

Sweet. But #1 test might be whether you've got the right serial header on the M571 if it came bare. They were supposedly one of the less common configs IIRC... wish I could find my M571 though, got a project in mind for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39221 of 52793, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-28, 12:00:

Sweet. But #1 test might be whether you've got the right serial header on the M571 if it came bare.

It did come bare, unfortunately. Which is why I'm forced to rewire a PS2 connector and possibly also an audio connector, provided that I can correctly identify the wires. There are bunch of M571 pinouts on this site including PS2, serial and audio.

I didn't know the serial port on the M571 uses non-standard wiring, figured they were all the same. In any case, I did test the mouse with a generic serial port bracket and it seemed to work fine.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 39222 of 52793, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I don't recall what was seen as standard at the time, going off a memory of an ancient PC chips page on geocities, but there seems to be so many PCChips boards around nowadays that maybe their parts have diluted the "wild" stock of port headers and you actually end up with a good chance of getting one.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 39223 of 52793, by imi

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm so sad... and mildly angry... I'll spare you the rest of the horrific pictures, this one should tell enough.

p460_dmg08.jpg
Filename
p460_dmg08.jpg
File size
171.15 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

angry because I wrote the seller a long essay on how to properly pack it... and they replied in a manner that made me assume they heeded my advice... only they didn't.

that's the second trashed presario I received in 2 months...

Last edited by imi on 2021-05-28, 14:38. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 39224 of 52793, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
imi wrote on 2021-05-28, 13:52:

I'm so sad... and mildly angry... I'll spare you the rest of the horrific pictures, this one should tell enough.

p460_dmg08.jpg

Holy crap!!! That poor computer

Reply 39225 of 52793, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awwwwww... I think a lot of sellers go "That sounds like too much trouble, ima take it to a 'professional' at the UPS store.." who of course don't have a clue and go by the usual modus operandi of putting enough bubble wrap around it to touch most sides, and stuffing it in a single thickness box.

Reply 39226 of 52793, by cyclone3d

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-05-28, 14:49:

Awwwwww... I think a lot of sellers go "That sounds like too much trouble, ima take it to a 'professional' at the UPS store.." who of course don't have a clue and go by the usual modus operandi of putting enough bubble wrap around it to touch most sides, and stuffing it in a single thickness box.

And yet in their packaging instructions they say you must have at least 2" of padding on all sides which really is still not enough for these old brittle plastics.

Then you have to take I to account that some carriers seem to toss the packages off multi-story buildings or chuck it off a moving vehicle to deliver it.

Yamaha modified setupds and drivers
Yamaha XG repository
YMF7x4 Guide
Aopen AW744L II SB-LINK

Reply 39227 of 52793, by blurks

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Perhaps it is best to not let those precious survivors being sent across the globe to stick them into personal collections. In the end it causes more damage than good.

We all know how delicate those old computer cases and monitors are. You cannot protect them adequately from the carelessness of carriers and even if you do: a pissed off TNT/Fedex/UPS/DHL guy who had to deliver a 25 kg package at the end of its shift won't handle it with care and will most likely counter all the precaution that went into careful packaging by just slamming it on the floor. Best packaging is helpless against the human factor (may it personal misbehavior or lack of concentration).

Try to take the best out of it: maybe you can see your Presario as a restoration/rebuild project for a rainy weekend. It may be possible to glue the parts back in place. AkBKukU (YouTube channel: Tech Tangents) had a method to rebuild lost plastic structure with the help of glue and baking soda which seemed very promising. I'm sure you can solve your 3D puzzle somehow. Think positive!

Reply 39228 of 52793, by Miphee

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No wonder most shipping companies won't accept buthane tanks and hazardous materials: they know Johnny Mcthrow would blow up the warehouse on his first day.

Reply 39229 of 52793, by dataino.it

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A SBC new boxed.

mitac-MSC-251

Attachments

• index.jpeg
    Filename
    index.jpeg
    File size
    89.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 05.jpeg
    Filename
    05.jpeg
    File size
    73.92 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 04.jpeg
    Filename
    04.jpeg
    File size
    66.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 02.jpeg
    Filename
    02.jpeg
    File size
    95.41 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • 01.jpeg
    Filename
    01.jpeg
    File size
    66.83 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 39231 of 52793, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This motherboard for 386DX arrived today.
The card includes in addition to the 40MHz AMD 386DX CPU, four 30PIN SIMs for a total of 4MB (4X 1MB).
I don't know which manufacturer is, on the board it says TK-82C390A-4N-D11SE, this maybe could be useful, from a search I did the board was very similar to the Gigabyte GA-386UM 33/40.
In the next few days I should remove the 3.6V battery, and do a cleaning of the copper tracks, I hope nothing else needs to be removed.
After cleaning I will put a new battery, spacing it out so that it is no longer in contact with the copper tracks.
After checking the jumper settings, I will try to start it, if I have the AMI BIOS screen on the screen everything should be OK.

Attachments

• MB 386DX§.jpg
    Filename
    MB 386DX§.jpg
    File size
    219.27 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • MB 386DX 40.jpg
    Filename
    MB 386DX 40.jpg
    File size
    328.24 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • MB 386DX.jpg
    Filename
    MB 386DX.jpg
    File size
    278.61 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • MB 386DX -+.jpg
    Filename
    MB 386DX -+.jpg
    File size
    348.07 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • MB 386DX -.jpg
    Filename
    MB 386DX -.jpg
    File size
    355.74 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 39232 of 52793, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Horun wrote on 2021-05-28, 02:28:

Bought a mixed bag of Cables, Fans, adapters, etc for $15 today at local thift store. Has as a lot of unused case Fans, Asus cables/parts (including a dual USB back plate for older P2/P3 type board), EVGA related and other stuff.
The box for the BeQuiet Silent Wing 3's was ripped apart but all 5 fans never used. Yeah is mostly for modern stuff but could not resist due to the USB bracket and Asus SLI bridges even if I never use them.....

Wow, good catch! These black/grey fans were well made and quiet back in the day and were made by Sanyo which is also best fan maker too!

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 39233 of 52793, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, found and waited for seller to get weight so I can reserve money and finally got paid yesterday and bought another Compaq Deskpro M but this model is 486SX and compaq video card.

Finally most important of all that I'm looking for is *working* PSU! These days, nobody have one for sale alive or dead, even I had a wanted ad for PSU for an Deskpro M.

Located in Rome, Italy so shipping will take awhile.

This will help me to answer all the questions I had on the pinout chart I made, so others can make adapter cable to power their Deskpro M models. Very easy to do but stay tuned.

Cheers!

Reply 39235 of 52793, by MMaximus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-05-28, 20:04:
This motherboard for 386DX arrived today. The card includes in addition to the 40MHz AMD 386DX CPU, four 30PIN SIMs for a total […]
Show full quote

The card includes in addition to the 40MHz AMD 386DX CPU, four 30PIN SIMs for a total of 4MB (4X 1MB).
I don't know which manufacturer is, on the board it says TK-82C390A-4N-D11SE, this maybe could be useful, from a search I did the board was very similar to the Gigabyte GA-386UM 33/40.
In the next few days I should remove the 3.6V battery, and do a cleaning of the copper tracks, I hope nothing else needs to be removed.
After cleaning I will put a new battery, spacing it out so that it is no longer in contact with the copper tracks.
After checking the jumper settings, I will try to start it, if I have the AMI BIOS screen on the screen everything should be OK.

Unless you particularly enjoy the challenge, I would plug an external battery pack to the motherboard connector after having snipped the barrel battery, and call it a day

Hard Disk Sounds

Reply 39236 of 52793, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MMaximus wrote on 2021-05-29, 17:00:
PC@LIVE wrote on 2021-05-28, 20:04:
This motherboard for 386DX arrived today. The card includes in addition to the 40MHz AMD 386DX CPU, four 30PIN SIMs for a total […]
Show full quote

Unless you particularly enjoy the challenge, I would plug an external battery pack to the motherboard connector after having snipped the barrel battery, and call it a day

Yes, those old motherboards could alternatively mount an external battery, and on my first 386DX (from 1992) I had it.
In practice I would connect a new battery in place of the one on the motherboard, but instead of soldering it to the board, I would solder two wires to distance it and place it at the top of the case, in this way if it were to leak it would not corrode the tracks.
I have done it in the past with other cards, the alternative you suggest of the external battery, instead requires the setting of the jumpers, theoretically it is simple to do, unfortunately I do not have the manual and therefore I do not know how and what are the jumpers to set.
For tomorrow I should proceed with the removal of the battery and the cleaning of the oxidized (green) parts with white vinegar, hoping that there is no corrosion to the internal tracks, and therefore that the board will return to normal operation.
If after cleaning and starting everything will be ok, I will start the final configuration by adding various cards, in addition to a 1MB VGA I would put an SB16 sound card (or similar) with connectors for connecting old CD-ROMs, I would have LAN cards but they don't have the RJ connector, they only have the one for RG coaxial cable, I don't think there is a way to adapt it (maybe through HUB?)

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 39237 of 52793, by EvieSigma

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got this mystery ISA video card as part of a $30 lot of much newer computers in various states of disrepair, any idea what it is? All I can discern is that it has an ATI chipset and the ROM is labeled "GRAPHICS ULTRA/A".

Q6cncPv.jpg

NUVjAnB.jpg

Reply 39238 of 52793, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, it's a Graphics Ultra... a 8514 chip and an ATi chip all one card, splitting the RAM between them, switching chips according to which mode requested. Found one in my stash the other day.

Reply 39239 of 52793, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Slow even with 1MB vram, and limited colors even in windows, was sold on it by store person as best one and was expesnive, where I should had researched more on alteratives, but information access was limited to the magazines.

I had one, I shouldn't had bought that, later on when I had VLB machine, with this ATI ultra card for less than a year, I went and bought Hercules Dynamite 2MB tseng w32i/p card which was very good back in the day and worked on 50MHz fsb since I was overclocking the AMD 486DX 40 to 50.

Cheers,