VOGONS

First post, by iAPX432

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi! I normally run DOS games on my 486 PC, but I saw a great price on Ultimate Doom at GOG and decided to give it try under Win10.

I am having a heck of a time reassigning the keys and I keep thinking that there is something simple I am missing.

I figured out how to bring up the DOSBox onscreen keyboard where you click on a key and then hit the key on your keyboard to map it, but it doesn't seem to know about control+key or the mouse.

Is there some sort of configuration file for this?

My favorite setup:

Fire: right mouse button. (this is OK as is)
Use: left mouse button (right now its the space bar. Not my favorite but I can live with that)
Turn left/right: move mouse (this is OK as is)
Forward: W (right now its the up arrow)
Backwards: S (right now its the down arrow)
Strafe left: A (right now its shift+left arrow)
Strafe right: F (right now its shift+right arrow)

Reply 1 of 4, by MrFlibble

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
iAPX432 wrote on 2021-06-03, 02:43:

I figured out how to bring up the DOSBox onscreen keyboard where you click on a key and then hit the key on your keyboard to map it, but it doesn't seem to know about control+key or the mouse.

Is there some sort of configuration file for this?

These are the "mod" selections in the bottom left corner of the key mapper. Mod1 is Ctrl and Mod2 is Alt, I guess Mod3 is Shift? Mod3 is undefined by default. Just click the one you and with the mouse to highlight it.

DOS Games Archive | Free open source games | RGB Classic Games

Reply 2 of 4, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why do you want to use the DOSBox keymapper when the game's own setup program (setup.exe) has options to configure the controls? Or is the GOG version missing the setup.exe?

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 3 of 4, by iAPX432

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
zirkoni wrote on 2021-06-03, 13:40:

Why do you want to use the DOSBox keymapper when the game's own setup program (setup.exe) has options to configure the controls? Or is the GOG version missing the setup.exe?

Ah. That was the clue that let me figure it out. When running UD in dosbox on Windows 10, of course it refuses to run setup.exe. I could have tried to figure out how to start dosbox and run another program besides doom, but I noticed that GOG gives you an option after you click on the doom icon. 1=run game, 2=setup, and 3=exit. That did it. Like I said, I was missing something simple. Thanks!

Last edited by Stiletto on 2021-06-09, 23:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 4 of 4, by iAPX432

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
MrFlibble wrote on 2021-06-03, 12:48:

These are the "mod" selections in the bottom left corner of the key mapper. Mod1 is Ctrl and Mod2 is Alt, I guess Mod3 is Shift? Mod3 is undefined by default. Just click the one you and with the mouse to highlight it.

Thanks! Super helpful.