VOGONS

Reply 19100 of 27511, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-02, 21:39:

Most likely fit a Socket 7 or Super Socket 7 mobo in that case. Or maybe that vlb 486/386 mobo I have c/w vlb video card and ide multi i/o card I have in an anti static bag in the same box.

Well the front two look good, I guess it depends where the drive cage comes to whether the rest work out, or how big a heatsink you want on them etc.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19102 of 27511, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, you just gotta love it when the board you bought as nonworking not only works but boots into DR-DOS and accepts a BIOS reflash flawlessly. The board is a FIC SD-11 Rev 1.8 (the actual release version) I bought 10-15 bucks (not including shipping) to use as a comparison to the NOS Rev 1.7 board I bought a few months ago. They looked identical so I bought it to check under the NB heatsink to see if the difference was a more recent NB stepping. Turned out no, they both have C0 stepping NBs best as I can tell but maybe the stepping number is just really faint? It was a massive pain to read the other numbers so it's not impossible. The only real issue this board has is a bad PS/2 keyboard jack (the speaker just beeps when I push a key) so I might just replace it with a color coded jack because I don't have a I/O shield for this mobo. It does work with a wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse combo plugged in but sometimes it quits working after a reset. So, it looks like I'll have a control when I get around to repopulating the unused VRM slots on my NOS board. It'll be interesting to see if the instability issues Redhill mentioned and general PSU fussiness wind up being resolved by having the full 8 mosfet VRM that Compaq used on the Aspen 2 boards. I suspect so: the PSUs Compaq used had only a 30 amp 5 volt rail, lower that what Redhill found worked well (35 amp). As it is the board boots into a minimal DR-DOS bootdisk and runs the BIOS flasher without issue with a 700mhz Slot A T-Bird using a modern (IOW, weak 5v rail) 650 watt 80+ Bronze EVGA psu without any problems!!!

Attachments

• 20210602_161711.jpg
    Filename
    20210602_161711.jpg
    File size
    1.63 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19103 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-02, 22:05:
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-06-02, 21:39:

Most likely fit a Socket 7 or Super Socket 7 mobo in that case. Or maybe that vlb 486/386 mobo I have c/w vlb video card and ide multi i/o card I have in an anti static bag in the same box.

Well the front two look good, I guess it depends where the drive cage comes to whether the rest work out, or how big a heatsink you want on them etc.

They all fit just fine. The 486 vlb mobo was in a slimline Ollivette 486 PC40 case with a riser of it. I couldn't believe it when I opened the case up. They must of just fitted any old 486 mobo in those cases. The 40 stood for 40meg hdd.

Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-06-03, 00:05. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 19104 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Merovign wrote on 2021-06-02, 22:09:

Where do all these desktops come from? 😀 Around here, it's minitowers for miles.

Mini Towers weren't really used much down here in New Zealand until Windows 95 came out.

Reply 19105 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The fronts of both cases cleaned up well.

On the bottom one I used P180 FL202P Ovit sanding paper to get rid of the yellowing. No disassembly, soaking in water/oxy mix out in the sun for a few days so no chance of getting patchy. Done in about half an 3/4s of an hour.

The top case just needed a good clean with hot water and soap.

Attachments

• 20210603_140834.jpg
    Filename
    20210603_140834.jpg
    File size
    666.87 KiB
    Views
    File license
  • 20210603_135208.jpg
    Filename
    20210603_135208.jpg
    File size
    681.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 19106 of 27511, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What's next, spraying them blue and flamey to match a Hotwheels monitor? 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 19107 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
BitWrangler wrote on 2021-06-03, 03:03:

What's next, spraying them blue and flamey to match a Hotwheels monitor? 🤣

Lol..........................

Nah. I prefer a la natuerale. Beige all the way baby!

Reply 19108 of 27511, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have been working some more on my ATX-64 build. Still missing to build those extrenders, that connects the two daugherboard's/riser-card's, get a cartridge-connector, have a custom Rom created and buy the last 50% of the chips. Other than that, then I will have to find a case and a PSU.

But the build will not be complete when all that is done. There are Ps/2 keyboard adaptor, that I need to buy and build, as well as an internally mounted PI-1541 drive. (sorry about the last picture's brightness. Hard to take photo's of black PCB's)

The copper standoff's will be removed, once the build is done. They are only there to prevent me from bending components out of shape, when I solder. And to make a flat surface to solder on.

ATX-64-June-3-01.jpg
Filename
ATX-64-June-3-01.jpg
File size
245.94 KiB
Views
File license
ATX-64-June-3-02.jpg
Filename
ATX-64-June-3-02.jpg
File size
164.4 KiB
Views
File license
ATX-64-June-3-03.jpg
Filename
ATX-64-June-3-03.jpg
File size
165.34 KiB
Views
File license
ATX-64-June-3-04.jpg
Filename
ATX-64-June-3-04.jpg
File size
131.91 KiB
Views
File license

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19110 of 27511, by appiah4

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The IT guy at our company passed along a Pentium III laptop to me. It's a Fujitso SeriesS Lifebook, I knew nothing about the configuration until I took it home. The CMOS battery was dead, so I opened it up and replaced it (managed to end up with two extra screws in the end somehow, but everything seems to be working) and now I have a working Pentium IIIm 1.2GHz laptop.

It came with 768MB RAM and Windows XP which kind of crawls, I'll probably do a fresh install of Windows 98SE.

I wonder if anyone know Sigmatel C-Major audio codec has legacy SB compatibility in Windows 98SE?

Retronautics: A digital gallery of my retro computers, hardware and projects.

Reply 19111 of 27511, by brostenen

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2021-06-03, 12:15:

I can't wait to see the finished system. It'll be fun to see a modern C64.

Still waiting for the pinheader extenders to arive, so I can have it assembled for checking if all sockets have contacts and to make a first power-on test. 😀

Don't eat stuff off a 15 year old never cleaned cpu cooler.
Those cakes make you sick....

My blog: http://to9xct.blogspot.dk
My YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/brostenen

001100 010010 011110 100001 101101 110011

Reply 19112 of 27511, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
xcomcmdr wrote on 2021-05-31, 06:04:

Yep, that UI is a little confusing

Motif was the default UI back then. Like any UI it takes a bit of time to get use to it and it's limitations/advantages. Win3.1 had quite a number of third party UIs like Calmira, TabWorks, a OS/2 Workplace Shell lookalike and others you could use.

Reply 19113 of 27511, by seleryba

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Cleaned and tweaked the Toshiba Satellite 300CDT.
I disassembled whole thing to the single screw, then cleaned deeply. Also, I've changed the internal batteries and replaced the thermal paste.
Then, I replaced CCFL to the LED strip in the TFT module. After that, I assembled it again.

735ECF19-BEB2-4191-AE44-A890FAB2E66D.jpeg
Filename
File size
1.64 MiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Now it's beautiful and clean. Also the screen works perfectly with the LED instead of CCFL tube (tested this one by connecting to lab power supply). However, I don't have any step-up driver to pick up from the shelf, so Toshiba needs to wait a week for completing this restoration.

Reply 19114 of 27511, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sirotkaslo wrote on 2021-06-02, 11:43:

Bought a celeron 800 pc today, with 128mb ram, tnt 2 m64 gpu, 2GB HDD, all that for 15€. Guy says he's got a lot of old things, so I guess I've found a new supplier.

that's a fair deal and the combination of celeron 800 + tnt2 means just about anything up to 1999 is within grasp plus, i'm guessing by age, lots of DOS games too

Reply 19115 of 27511, by gerry

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
seleryba wrote on 2021-06-03, 18:41:
Cleaned and tweaked the Toshiba Satellite 300CDT. I disassembled whole thing to the single screw, then cleaned deeply. Also, I'v […]
Show full quote

Cleaned and tweaked the Toshiba Satellite 300CDT.
I disassembled whole thing to the single screw, then cleaned deeply. Also, I've changed the internal batteries and replaced the thermal paste.
Then, I replaced CCFL to the LED strip in the TFT module. After that, I assembled it again.

Now it's beautiful and clean. Also the screen works perfectly with the LED instead of CCFL tube (tested this one by connecting to lab power supply). However, I don't have any step-up driver to pick up from the shelf, so Toshiba needs to wait a week for completing this restoration.

that is pristine! great approach using LED too

Reply 19116 of 27511, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jackal1983 wrote on 2021-06-02, 22:25:

Well, you just gotta love it when the board you bought as nonworking not only works but boots into DR-DOS and accepts a BIOS reflash flawlessly. The board is a FIC SD-11 Rev 1.8 (the actual release version) I bought 10-15 bucks (not including shipping) to use as a comparison to the NOS Rev 1.7 board I bought a few months ago. They looked identical so I bought it to check under the NB heatsink to see if the difference was a more recent NB stepping. Turned out no, they both have C0 stepping NBs best as I can tell but maybe the stepping number is just really faint? It was a massive pain to read the other numbers so it's not impossible. The only real issue this board has is a bad PS/2 keyboard jack (the speaker just beeps when I push a key) so I might just replace it with a color coded jack because I don't have a I/O shield for this mobo. It does work with a wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse combo plugged in but sometimes it quits working after a reset. So, it looks like I'll have a control when I get around to repopulating the unused VRM slots on my NOS board. It'll be interesting to see if the instability issues Redhill mentioned and general PSU fussiness wind up being resolved by having the full 8 mosfet VRM that Compaq used on the Aspen 2 boards. I suspect so: the PSUs Compaq used had only a 30 amp 5 volt rail, lower that what Redhill found worked well (35 amp). As it is the board boots into a minimal DR-DOS bootdisk and runs the BIOS flasher without issue with a 700mhz Slot A T-Bird using a modern (IOW, weak 5v rail) 650 watt 80+ Bronze EVGA psu without any problems!!!

I've seen boards having blank spaces but good god, that's almost half of the board that's being empty.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 19117 of 27511, by Jackal1983

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
PcBytes wrote on 2021-06-03, 20:18:
Jackal1983 wrote on 2021-06-02, 22:25:

I've seen boards having blank spaces but good god, that's almost half of the board that's being empty.

The AnandTech review said that the board had a definite "Prototype rushed out the door" feel to it. My suspicions are that the board was originally an OEM only product whipped up by FIC for Compaq to their specs with some eye to a later standalone release (hence the ISA slot that is unused in the Compaq board). I think all of the revisions were seeing how much they could strip off the board and still have it somewhat stable while working around the 751 NB's eccentricities, with 1.7 being the last preproduction version and 1.8 being the actual release version (they are both compatible with the most recent bios version, so I suspect the differences are very slight). Anandtech also mentioned overclocking options in the bios, but neither the most recent bios nor the bioses on both boards I have show any such options. I have a full set of polymer caps for one of these boards, but I might just use polys on the VRMs as well as the chipset power caps and use electrolytics on the memory side of the board. I have some electrolytics for the small value caps, but I probably won't worry with them unless I start getting some weirdness.

Reply 19118 of 27511, by creepingnet

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's Retro Truck day for me. Got to figure out the low-rough idle on my 1993 Ford Explorer. How does this fit into "retro computing" you ask? Well, I've read a few places mentioning Explorer/Ranger PCM's having leaky caps....so funny my first full recap might be on the engine computer for a Ford. Got some other things to check first (vacuum leak-ish stuff).

~The Creeping Network~
My Youtube Channel - https://www.youtube.com/creepingnet
Creepingnet's World - https://creepingnet.neocities.org/
The Creeping Network Repo - https://www.geocities.ws/creepingnet2019/

Reply 19119 of 27511, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
creepingnet wrote on 2021-06-03, 23:02:

It's Retro Truck day for me. Got to figure out the low-rough idle on my 1993 Ford Explorer. How does this fit into "retro computing" you ask? Well, I've read a few places mentioning Explorer/Ranger PCM's having leaky caps....so funny my first full recap might be on the engine computer for a Ford. Got some other things to check first (vacuum leak-ish stuff).

I'd pull the IAC and give it a good cleaning with some brake cleaner. They usually get gummed up with carbon and the valves stick and cause All sorts of idle quality issues.